Tom

Default OT - computer network question...

The "host" computer, or the one that has the printer connected to it needs the
drivers installed on it to match the other computers. IE: if the Win2000
computer has the printer connected to it but you are printing from a 98 machine
the 2000 computer has to have the 98 drivers installed on it also.

Assuming 2000 is similar to XP:
In your "printers" folder, right click on the selected printer and select
"properties". In the properties window click on the "sharing" tab. There should
be a button here for "additional drivers" which will allow you to install the
print drivers for the other machines.

Tom

"AL A." wrote:

A bit OT, but you guys know everything...

I just recently set up a network in my home. It is all hardwired, using
stuff (Motorola cable modem, Belkin router/firewall/switch thing and
additional 8 port switch/hub), from the local chain computer store.
Everything seems to work great so far. Yesterday I set up the printer on the
main "family room" computer so it can be shared by the other computers in
the house. It seems to work, but is really slow. I tried printing a blank
page with maybe 5 words on it. The originating computer shows it as
printing, and the "family room" machine (with the printer) says the document
is "spooling" for like 5 (literally) minutes. Then the page prints. This
happens on all of the network computers. Printing from the family room
machine works at "normal" speed.

Am I doing something wrong? sending files accross the network works great,
and is fast, shared web access works great, etc. Family room computer is
running Win2000, HP932 printer, other computers are all Win98.

Any advice or ideas are welcome!
Thanks,
AL