Mark S.

Default Fixing washing machine?

Been looking for a cheap washer to get me started when I move in now I
can get broadband.. ;-)

Seen one on Ebay that is local to me for £20.00 - says it needs a new
spider? Assume that's the metal bit on the back of the drum.

Can I fix it myself if I get the part, they've quoted in the advert
£97.00 to get it fixed.

I know it's not new but I don't want to shell out hundreds on a new
machine for a couple of washes a week etc. when I could be buying diy
materials. :-)

Mark S.

Paper2002AD

Been looking for a cheap washer to get me started when I move in now I
can get broadband.. ;-)

Seen one on Ebay that is local to me for £20.00 - says it needs a new
spider? Assume that's the metal bit on the back of the drum.

Can I fix it myself if I get the part, they've quoted in the advert
£97.00 to get it fixed.

I know it's not new but I don't want to shell out hundreds on a new
machine for a couple of washes a week etc. when I could be buying diy
materials. :-)

Mark S.

if you replace the spider, you should also replace the inner and outer
bearings, and the seals - £97 dont sound bad if it includes labour, so I would
consider the following:

A)Do you know what you are doing and might you find you have to replace other
parts too, and
B)Is it worth spending that kind of money on a machine whose history you do not
know.

But then, what do I know, I only worked on washing machine development at
Hoover for eight years!

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mark S. writes:
Been looking for a cheap washer to get me started when I move in now I
can get broadband.. ;-)

Seen one on Ebay that is local to me for £20.00 - says it needs a new
spider? Assume that's the metal bit on the back of the drum.

Can I fix it myself if I get the part, they've quoted in the advert
£97.00 to get it fixed.

I know it's not new but I don't want to shell out hundreds on a new
machine for a couple of washes a week etc. when I could be buying diy
materials. :-)

I would say a non-working machine is worth nothing.
You are saving the owner from having to cart it to the
nearest tip/ditch/pond/layby. You certainly shouldn't
be paying for the privilege. Might just be worth it if
it's free or they are prepared to pay you to take it
away.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Neal Jones

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:07:25 +0100, Mark S.
wrote:

Been looking for a cheap washer to get me started when I move in now I
can get broadband.. ;-)

Seen one on Ebay that is local to me for £20.00 - says it needs a new
spider? Assume that's the metal bit on the back of the drum.

Can I fix it myself if I get the part, they've quoted in the advert
£97.00 to get it fixed.

I know it's not new but I don't want to shell out hundreds on a new
machine for a couple of washes a week etc. when I could be buying diy
materials. :-)

Mark S.

97+20 = 117 plus agrravation
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/49_149403.html = £160
including warranty. You know it makes sense.

nuj
Grunff

Mark S. wrote:

Been looking for a cheap washer to get me started when I move in now I
can get broadband.. ;-)

Seen one on Ebay that is local to me for £20.00 - says it needs a new
spider? Assume that's the metal bit on the back of the drum.

Can I fix it myself if I get the part, they've quoted in the advert
£97.00 to get it fixed.

I know it's not new but I don't want to shell out hundreds on a new
machine for a couple of washes a week etc. when I could be buying diy
materials. :-)

Not worth it in any way. It'll be old and knackered, you'll spend well
over £100 on it and still have an old, knackered machine that works for
a while then breaks.

Now if your post had read something like "my parents have an old machine
which hasn't been abused too much but needs a new spider, should I take
it for free", it might be a different story.

--
Grunff
Grunff

Paper2002AD wrote:

But then, what do I know, I only worked on washing machine development at
Hoover for eight years!

Really? Interesting.

So tell me, why is it Hoover make such crappy machines these days? ;-)

--
Grunff
Richard Faulkner

In message , Paper2002AD
writes
But then, what do I know, I only worked on washing machine development
at Hoover for eight years!

Aha!!

Just as a matter of interest, I let a few flats and the Hotpoint
machines vibrate like hell on any spin, whereas the Hoover are almost as
smooth as silk.

Any ideas?

My current thoughts are that Hotpoint are crap, and I will never buy
anything else from them. It might also be because you spent 8 years
developing the Hoovers g

--
Richard Faulkner
Peter

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
In message , Paper2002AD
writes
But then, what do I know, I only worked on washing machine development
at Hoover for eight years!

Aha!!

Just as a matter of interest, I let a few flats and the Hotpoint
machines vibrate like hell on any spin, whereas the Hoover are almost as
smooth as silk.

You neveer seen a Hoover clasica then !!

Peter

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Richard Faulkner writes:
In message , Paper2002AD
writes
But then, what do I know, I only worked on washing machine development
at Hoover for eight years!

Aha!!

Just as a matter of interest, I let a few flats and the Hotpoint
machines vibrate like hell on any spin, whereas the Hoover are almost as
smooth as silk.

Funny, my experience was different when I switched from a
Hoover to a Hotpoint. The Hoover used a drum speed when draining
out which was just fast enough to keep the cloths stuck to it
at the top of the drum, so as the water level dropped, the cloths
were evenly distributed around the drum, mostly. However, it had
no check for this, and on occasions where it went wrong (like if
everything else in the wash somehow got itself inside the pillowcase
you put in), the Hoover would still go on to spin at top speed and
dance across the kitchen floor.

The Hotpoint doesn't use this critical drum speed whilst draining,
but instead, once drained out, slowly increases the drum speed
with the intention of again getting the cloths evenly distributed
by the stage it has got fast enough that the cloths are sticking
to the drum without tumbling, and then switches to the spin speed.
In my mind, this doesn't work quite as well as the Hoover method
of doing this whilst draining the water, but the Hotpoint does use
a means to measure the unbalance of the load in the drum. If it's too
bad, the Hotpoint gives up, stops the drum and rotates it backwards
a bit to break up the ball of cloths, and then tries again. It has
up to 3 goes at getting the cloths evenly distributed, before going
on to spin. If all 3 attempts fail, then it still goes on to spin,
but will not take the spin up to the top spin speed (1400 RPM in
mine -- I think it was slightly faster in later models).

Another machine I have experiance with is a Zanussi. This is much
worse than either the Hotpoint or the Hoover. This drains out with
the drum stationary, leaving the cloths in a clump at the bottom.
Then it just starts spinning, with the load pretty much guaranteed
not to be distributed around the drum.

None of these are new machines, and manufacturers may well have
changed how their program cycles work. I would suspect some of the
techniques may be (or may have been) protected by patents.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mark S.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:11:03 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Mark S. wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the replies. :-)

The bearings have already been replaced it says.

New one it is then. ;-)

I'll get myself off to ebay to list a few notebooks then I can buy a
halfway decent one, buy cheap buy twice...

My parents wreck their machines, the one they have now dances about
and is very noisy and it's not that old.

Mark S.

Paper2002AD

But then, what do I know, I only worked on washing machine development at
Hoover for eight years!

Really? Interesting.

So tell me, why is it Hoover make such crappy machines these days? ;-)

It was OK when I left it, many years ago

Paper2002AD

Just as a matter of interest, I let a few flats and the Hotpoint
machines vibrate like hell on any spin, whereas the Hoover are almost as
smooth as silk.

Any ideas?

My current thoughts are that Hotpoint are crap, and I will never buy
anything else from them. It might also be because you spent 8 years
developing the Hoovers g

Mind you, Hoover has for many years now been owned by Candy (all happened after
my time)

raden

In message , Mark S.
writes
Been looking for a cheap washer to get me started when I move in now I
can get broadband.. ;-)

Seen one on Ebay that is local to me for £20.00 - says it needs a new
spider? Assume that's the metal bit on the back of the drum.

And I chucked one away last week which just needed a new bottom hose

I advertised it here a few months ago, free to a good home - no takers

--
geoff

HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
Zanussi sensorcycle 1050 washing machine problem Terry UK diy 7 September 1st 04 08:49 PM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM
short washing machine drain hose Kerry Hoskin UK diy 14 January 26th 04 05:50 PM
Problems with Siemens Washing Machine WM53661BY Mohammed Farooq UK diy 0 November 6th 03 12:21 PM