Richard

Default Really Bad Fart Smell In My House!!!

Hi All

Well the subject really says it all, I have a real eggy smell that
wafts through my house every so often and I cannot put it down to
anything (no its not the wife, or the cat) We first thought it started
whenever we flushed the toilet but this is not the case. It appears
also to move around the house, one day it will appear to come from the
front room, then the hall, and other days from the utility room. It's
really weird and is getting worse, smells really strong of
eggs/methane and its getting rather embarassing now. Just as well the
house is still resembling a building site and we dont get many
visitors in. Is this problem more than likely just a soil pipe
blockage somewhere? How should I go about tackling this, i'm thinking
of looking under the manhole cover out the back but not sure if my
stomach is strong enough for that one or not!!!

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Richard
Cicero

"Richard" wrote in message
om...
[...]

===================
An exorcist might be useful but if that's not very practical have a look
under your floors if they are suspended wooden floors. There may be stagnant
water pooling there and the odour might be coming up through gaps in the
floorboards. Of course if you have solid floors then disregard this
suggestion.

Cic.

troubleinstore

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

You don't give any indication Richard as to how old your house is or what it
is built upon. For instance, is it built upon an old landfil site...?

Do your neighbours suffer the same odours..?

Without more information I am sure that you will get alot of replies that do
not mean anything.

Go on man, take the cover off the manhole, if the odour makes you sick then
the vommit will go in the right place.

--
troubleinstore
Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

View my auction items on eBay & eBid:-
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk/auction-idx.html

Aidan

"troubleinstore" wrote in message ...

Two possibles come to mind.

Check if there's a drain tray behind the fridge and freezer. They're
supposed to collect and evaporate condensate and are sited on the
black compressor can, usually at the bottom. They can collect milk,
orange juice etc., which ferments in the heat. I once rented a holiday
flat which had an apalling pong , due to this.

Also, any indoor soil & vent pipes, probably in ducts, or a defective
air admittance valve, usually in the loft? A cover may have been left
off. You can get the drains smoke tested to locate any leaks, but I'm
not familiar with the details.
Richard

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I'll expand a little:

the house is 2 old victorian cottages (1896) which have been converted
into one, the house was not built on a landfill site but does have a
mixture of suspended and concrete floors. I have just realised that
the utility room toilet which was leaking does not have a lot of water
in, could this be the cause of the odour?

Thanks again

Richard

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard wrote:
the house is 2 old victorian cottages (1896) which have been converted
into one, the house was not built on a landfill site but does have a
mixture of suspended and concrete floors. I have just realised that
the utility room toilet which was leaking does not have a lot of water
in, could this be the cause of the odour?

If you've got any little used toilet or basin etc, the water in the trap
can evaporate and let smells up from the drains. A badly made stack can
sometimes pull the water out of traps without you knowing.

You can, of course, see if this has happened in a toilet, but not other
traps.

If you have a suspect basin etc, try taping up the overflow with gaffer
tape and leaving the plug in.

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
R Taylor

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

hmmm, leaky toilet ... funky smell ...

I think you've answered your own question there :-)

RT

Paul C. Dickie

In article , Richard
writes
really weird and is getting worse, smells really strong of
eggs/methane and its getting rather embarassing now. Just as well the
house is still resembling a building site and we dont get many
visitors in. Is this problem more than likely just a soil pipe
blockage somewhere? How should I go about tackling this, i'm thinking
of looking under the manhole cover out the back but not sure if my
stomach is strong enough for that one or not!!!

Any other thoughts on this?

Has a rat crawled away somewhere to die?

I had a similar stench in my cellar, but this one was more of bad eggs
and rotting fish. Shortly afterwards, there was a mini-plague of flies
and bluebottles so, without bothering to investigate further, I
concluded that a frog had probably hopped in, covered itself with padauk
dust and died somewhere in the cellar.

--
Paul
P.R.Brady

Richard wrote:
[...]

Is it worse in darkness hours?
Not old lamp fittings (bulb holders) which pong when they heat up?
Phil

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:00:28 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you have a suspect basin etc, try taping up the overflow with
gaffer tape and leaving the plug in.

Easier to flush the bog and turn on the taps to fill the traps back
up... The little used loos here tend to dry out and whiff, just
flushing cures it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
If you have a suspect basin etc, try taping up the overflow with
gaffer tape and leaving the plug in.

Easier to flush the bog and turn on the taps to fill the traps back
up... The little used loos here tend to dry out and whiff, just
flushing cures it.

Yes. However, I've come across basins on the same stack as a toilet where
flushing the toilet 'syphons' out the water from the trap. And you can't
see easily when this occurs as with a toilet.

--
*You sound reasonable......time to up my medication

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Simon Langford

Paul C. Dickie wrote:
I had a similar stench in my cellar, but this one was more of bad eggs
and rotting fish. Shortly afterwards, there was a mini-plague of flies
and bluebottles ...

That reminds me - we get loads (and I mean LOADS) of bluebottle flies in
our 2nd floor bathroom at the moment. It happened last autumn too.
Every time we take the children up to bath them, we have to spend about
10 minutes swatting them and getting them out of the window. They're
really sleepy and can hardly be bothered to fly. I can't see where
they're coming in from. And there's no smell of rotting birds, etc...

Any ideas?

S.
Bob

"Simon Langford" wrote in message
Paul C. Dickie wrote:
I had a similar stench in my cellar, but this one was more of bad eggs
and rotting fish. Shortly afterwards, there was a mini-plague of flies
and bluebottles ...

That reminds me - we get loads (and I mean LOADS) of bluebottle flies in
our 2nd floor bathroom at the moment. It happened last autumn too.
Every time we take the children up to bath them, we have to spend about
10 minutes swatting them and getting them out of the window. They're
really sleepy and can hardly be bothered to fly. I can't see where
they're coming in from. And there's no smell of rotting birds, etc...

Any ideas?

Are you sure they're not cluster flies (smaller than a bluebottle, and
stupid - they fly straight into you half time time)?

They like to come in to hide over winter - you'll often find them in a big
ball (cluster) in the roof, and can fly spray the whole lot at once.

Rick

Simon Langford wrote:

Every time we take the children up to bath them, we have to spend about
10 minutes swatting them and getting them out of the window.

You'll have the law on to you !

--
Rick

Richard

"Paul C. Dickie" wrote in message ...
In article , Richard
writes
really weird and is getting worse, smells really strong of
eggs/methane and its getting rather embarassing now. Just as well the
house is still resembling a building site and we dont get many
visitors in. Is this problem more than likely just a soil pipe
blockage somewhere? How should I go about tackling this, i'm thinking
of looking under the manhole cover out the back but not sure if my
stomach is strong enough for that one or not!!!

Any other thoughts on this?

Has a rat crawled away somewhere to die?

I had a similar stench in my cellar, but this one was more of bad eggs
and rotting fish. Shortly afterwards, there was a mini-plague of flies
and bluebottles so, without bothering to investigate further, I
concluded that a frog had probably hopped in, covered itself with padauk
dust and died somewhere in the cellar.

Thanks for all your responses. Ive filled up the U bend in the toilet
with water, hopefully this was the cause of the problem. It only leaks
when you flush it - bad seal, and I guess someone used it a few times
despite the big post it note on it.

Lets wait and see..........

Cheers

Richard

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

If you have a suspect basin etc, try taping up the overflow with
gaffer tape and leaving the plug in.

Easier to flush the bog and turn on the taps to fill the traps back
up... The little used loos here tend to dry out and whiff, just
flushing cures it.

Yes. However, I've come across basins on the same stack as a toilet where
flushing the toilet 'syphons' out the water from the trap. And you can't
see easily when this occurs as with a toilet.

Yes. I have one like that. Running teh taps on the bath cures it
Dave Liquorice

On 13 Oct 2004 09:12:52 -0700, Richard wrote:

I guess someone used it a few times despite the big post it note on
it.

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Far to often for the props guys liking the prop toilets in the
Casualty set would gain some golden liquid and toilet paper (so we all
know which gender was responsible...). I find it remarkable that said
gender seem happy to plonk a sensitive area of their anatomy on
anything without checking for suitabilty first. These toilets where
not connected to anything not even a mock soil pipe on the outlet, no
water in the trap or even bolted to the floor.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Far to often for the props guys liking the prop toilets in the
Casualty set would gain some golden liquid and toilet paper (so we all
know which gender was responsible...). I find it remarkable that said
gender seem happy to plonk a sensitive area of their anatomy on
anything without checking for suitabilty first. These toilets where
not connected to anything not even a mock soil pipe on the outlet, no
water in the trap or even bolted to the floor.

Yup. 'The Bill' cell toilets too. And the others. Kept locked now.

You'd wonder how someone who works in telly could be so stupid. But I've
put money in a props fag machine once...

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:25:01 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Far to often for the props guys liking the prop toilets in the
Casualty set would gain some golden liquid and toilet paper (so we all
know which gender was responsible...). I find it remarkable that said
gender seem happy to plonk a sensitive area of their anatomy on
anything without checking for suitabilty first.

I thought that this was often a questionmark in the entertainment
industry anyway :-)

These toilets where
not connected to anything not even a mock soil pipe on the outlet, no
water in the trap or even bolted to the floor.

Yup. 'The Bill' cell toilets too. And the others. Kept locked now.

You'd wonder how someone who works in telly could be so stupid. But I've
put money in a props fag machine once...

That'll learn you...... ;-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Malc

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message ...
In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Far to often for the props guys liking the prop toilets in the
Casualty set would gain some golden liquid and toilet paper (so we all
know which gender was responsible...). I find it remarkable that said
gender seem happy to plonk a sensitive area of their anatomy on
anything without checking for suitabilty first. These toilets where
not connected to anything not even a mock soil pipe on the outlet, no
water in the trap or even bolted to the floor.

Yup. 'The Bill' cell toilets too. And the others. Kept locked now.

On one archaeological dig I worked on someone used the Elsan hut
whilst the elsan was away being emptied.

--
Malc

Richard

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:25:01 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Far to often for the props guys liking the prop toilets in the
Casualty set would gain some golden liquid and toilet paper (so we all
know which gender was responsible...). I find it remarkable that said
gender seem happy to plonk a sensitive area of their anatomy on
anything without checking for suitabilty first.

I thought that this was often a questionmark in the entertainment
industry anyway :-)

These toilets where
not connected to anything not even a mock soil pipe on the outlet, no
water in the trap or even bolted to the floor.

Yup. 'The Bill' cell toilets too. And the others. Kept locked now.

You'd wonder how someone who works in telly could be so stupid. But I've
put money in a props fag machine once...

That'll learn you...... ;-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The fart smell has returned so it wasn't the toilet!!! Is it possible
to be coming from the washing machine waste? I have a vertical pipe
with a u trap at the bottom which then goes off horizontally out to
the soil pipe outside. In my old (new) house it just used to fit into
the waste from the sink. I'm thinking if the toilet needs water in it
to stop the smells coming back up into the house the washing machine
waste pipe needs to have something in it too. The washing machine
waste pipe is just poked in the top.

Does this sound feasible, should I upgrdae my washing machine waste
contraption?

Cheers

Richard
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard wrote:
The fart smell has returned so it wasn't the toilet!!! Is it possible
to be coming from the washing machine waste? I have a vertical pipe
with a u trap at the bottom which then goes off horizontally out to
the soil pipe outside. In my old (new) house it just used to fit into
the waste from the sink. I'm thinking if the toilet needs water in it
to stop the smells coming back up into the house the washing machine
waste pipe needs to have something in it too. The washing machine
waste pipe is just poked in the top.

Does this sound feasible, should I upgrdae my washing machine waste
contraption?

If there's a proper u bend, it should be ok. That's really the main
purpose with a washing machine.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:25:01 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You'd wonder how someone who works in telly could be so stupid.

You're not counting the hoovers then?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On 14 Oct 2004 07:28:00 -0700, Richard wrote:

Does this sound feasible, should I upgrdae my washing machine waste
contraption?

Stick you nose over the top of the vertical pipe... I take it the
washing machine is used fairly frequently, this would keep the water
in the trap (U bend at the bottom) replenished. Of course you may have
suction problems such that the first flush of the loo (or whatever)
after a wash sucks the water out of the trap.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Ownership 56 September 7th 04 06:20 AM
buying a house with Weyerhaeuser siding v Home Repair 5 March 22nd 04 04:49 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM
may have sold our house (St. Joseph played a role) rosie readandpost Home Ownership 5 July 31st 03 07:50 PM