R Taylor

Richard wrote:
"troubleinstore" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote in message
om...
Hi All

Well the subject really says it all, I have a real eggy smell that
wafts through my house every so often and I cannot put it down to
anything (no its not the wife, or the cat) We first thought it started
whenever we flushed the toilet but this is not the case. It appears
also to move around the house, one day it will appear to come from the
front room, then the hall, and other days from the utility room. It's
really weird and is getting worse, smells really strong of
eggs/methane and its getting rather embarassing now. Just as well the
house is still resembling a building site and we dont get many
visitors in. Is this problem more than likely just a soil pipe
blockage somewhere? How should I go about tackling this, i'm thinking
of looking under the manhole cover out the back but not sure if my
stomach is strong enough for that one or not!!!

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Richard

You don't give any indication Richard as to how old your house is or what it
is built upon. For instance, is it built upon an old landfil site...?

Do your neighbours suffer the same odours..?

Without more information I am sure that you will get alot of replies that do
not mean anything.

Go on man, take the cover off the manhole, if the odour makes you sick then
the vommit will go in the right place.

OK, I'll expand a little:

the house is 2 old victorian cottages (1896) which have been converted
into one, the house was not built on a landfill site but does have a
mixture of suspended and concrete floors. I have just realised that
the utility room toilet which was leaking does not have a lot of water
in, could this be the cause of the odour?

Thanks again

Richard

hmmm, leaky toilet ... funky smell ...

I think you've answered your own question there :-)

RT