Default buying a house with Weyerhaeuser siding

Hi,
I've already posted a short message about siding, here's the situation
in more detail and a different set of dilemmas.

We made an offer on the house, but the house inspection showed that it
has got Weyerhaeuser siding. The siding is been recalled. If damage is
found (buckling, etc.), the manufacturer will compensate. However, the
inspection found no damage so far (to the house or the siding). If we
buy the house, we have until 2006 to discover the damage and claim the
money. Alternatively, the sellers offered to replace the siding at
their own cost (considering that the offer is reasonable).
Inspection's estimate is that it may cost 12K, my feeling is that it
should cost more, because the house has a lot of surface.

My realtor recommends that we ask the sellers to replace the siding
before closing. I'm concerned that their choice of materials and
construction decisions may not be best, considering that they are not
going to stay in the house. Additionally, if there is rot or other
problems under the siding, that the inspection missed, they may be
inclined to ignore them or at least cut corners, because their goal to
sell the house.

Another option would be to take the 12K (or a better estimate from a
siding contractor) and do it ourselves before or after moving into the
house. In this case, if there are other problems (like rot), we will
be responsible for them.

Or we could just take the money and wait for a year or two, find the
damage and replace he siding at Weyerhaeuser cost (most unlikely,
because the damage has not occurred since 1989)

My questions:
1. Should we take the house at all?
2. Would you recommend replacing the siding right away? I suppose it
will cost much more to replace it in 2 years?
3. Should we let the sellers do it?
4. I'm more inclined to taking the money and doing it myself. Is it
possible to replace the siding while living in the house? (Do it after
the move)
5. Could you please recommend a good, but low maintenance siding. (As
easy care as vinyl). Is steel a good option?

We live in the North West.

Thanks a lot,
BK
Edwin Pawlowski

"v" wrote in message
My realtor recommends that we ask the sellers to replace the siding
before closing. I'm concerned that their choice of materials and
construction decisions may not be best, considering that they are not
going to stay in the house.

Agree 100%

Or we could just take the money and wait for a year or two, find the
damage and replace he siding at Weyerhaeuser cost (most unlikely,
because the damage has not occurred since 1989)

Sounds smart

My questions:
1. Should we take the house at all?

Sure, you already know the potential problem and are planning for it.

2. Would you recommend replacing the siding right away? I suppose it
will cost much more to replace it in 2 years?

Put he money into an investment. It may last 2 years, it may last 20 years.
Why rush into it if you don' thave to. After a couple of years you may
decide on a different color, add a room, or a million other things that
requires siding work. Do it all at once.

3. Should we let the sellers do it?

No

4. I'm more inclined to taking the money and doing it myself. Is it
possible to replace the siding while living in the house? (Do it after
the move)

Sure, it is done every day.

5. Could you please recommend a good, but low maintenance siding. (As
easy care as vinyl). Is steel a good option?

Can't help. I still have the original siding on my house and it is still in
good shape. I've not shopped around for any so I'm not aware of what it out
there.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Bill

I would buy the house, take the 12K and save/invest it, then do nothing
until you need to. Maybe if you keep it well painted and/or apply water
seal every year, it will last as long as you do?

Also with energy prices going who knows where, you may want to add more
insulation in the future along with changing the windows to the triple pane
super energy saving type? (In some cases, its best to replace the windows,
then re-do the siding.)

I would *not* let the sellers replace the siding.

"v" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Dobony

"v" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The other posts are good info. I had 2 homes next to each other. Our
present home has vinyl coated steel, the next door rental had aluminum, and
the shed has vinyl. A few years back we had some severe hail damage to the
rental and shed. The vinyl had holes in it, the aluminum was well
"texturized. Nothing noticable on the steel. I'd have to look to see what
brand it is.

--
Mike D.

www.stopassaultnow.org

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

We live in the North West.

Thanks a lot,
BK

---

Tom Baker

snip

Edwin has the right answer, and the rest of seem to agree.

I would add, as a practicing architect, that fiber cement would be
worth investigating.

Tom Baker