JoeJoe

Default 5" bathroom extractor fan

Just fitted a 4" wall-mounted Monrose extractor with a timer that was bought
from Screwfix last month in my downstairs shower room/toilet. The room is
approx. (W)2m x (D)2m x (H)2.5m, and the ducting is around 40-50cm long (the
depth of the external wall). I also fitted a grill with draft shutter on the
external wall.

My problem is that the fan doesn't seem to do very much at all. It hardly
manages to open the shutters when running, and when holding the shutters
fully open the airflow is hardly noticeable. Also, I tried to place a small
piece of tissue in front of it (with the shutter held open), and it hardly
managed to keep it sucked to the front grill.

Is this normal for a fan of such size (85 m3/h)?

I am seriously thinking about replacing it with a 5" one. Does anyone know
of other suppliers other than
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLEDM160R.html who do them? Nothing
against TLC - used then many times and has always been happy - just
interested to see what's available.

TIA,

J.

JoeJoe

Sorry, forgot to mention - door was open when testing.

"Pet" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:

Is this normal for a fan of such size (85 m3/h)?

I found that with the bathroom door closed the fan is next to useless at
removing air, but open the door and hey presto.

If it's fine with the door open you will need to make some holes

somewhere.

http://fitness-equipment-uk.net - UK's No.1 Fitness Equipment Suppliers.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Charles Middleton

"Pet" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:

Is this normal for a fan of such size (85 m3/h)?

I found that with the bathroom door closed the fan is next to useless at
removing air, but open the door and hey presto.

If it's fine with the door open you will need to make some holes

somewhere.

(Previous reply at top of post)

Ive just fitted a 4" Xpelair fan in my bathroom with an inline back draught
shutter (from TLC). As a comparison, when this starts running the shutter is
immediately opened and if there is steam in the bathroom this can been seen
visibly moving towards the fan. I've got a slight gap under my bathroom
door. Nice fan easy to fit and works well. Not sure if your fan is faulty or
just not very good however.

CM.

N. Thornton

"JoeJoe" wrote in message ...
Just fitted a 4" wall-mounted Monrose extractor with a timer that was bought
from Screwfix last month in my downstairs shower room/toilet. The room is
approx. (W)2m x (D)2m x (H)2.5m, and the ducting is around 40-50cm long (the
depth of the external wall). I also fitted a grill with draft shutter on the
external wall.

My problem is that the fan doesn't seem to do very much at all. It hardly
manages to open the shutters when running, and when holding the shutters
fully open the airflow is hardly noticeable. Also, I tried to place a small
piece of tissue in front of it (with the shutter held open), and it hardly
managed to keep it sucked to the front grill.

Well at least its better to learn this now than never.

Is this normal for a fan of such size (85 m3/h)?

Work it out. 85 m3/hr = 1.4 m3/minute = 0.023 m3/second. And of course
those are going to be the most optimistic specs they could come up
with. Thats, under the most optimisitc possible circumstances, 2
100ths of a m3 per sec.

I am seriously thinking about replacing it with a 5" one.

lol, didnt you just learn the lesson?

NT

chris French

In message , Charles Middleton
writes

"Pet" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:

Is this normal for a fan of such size (85 m3/h)?

I found that with the bathroom door closed the fan is next to useless at
removing air, but open the door and hey presto.

If it's fine with the door open you will need to make some holes

somewhere.

(Previous reply at top of post)

Ive just fitted a 4" Xpelair fan in my bathroom with an inline back draught
shutter (from TLC). As a comparison, when this starts running the shutter is
immediately opened and if there is steam in the bathroom this can been seen
visibly moving towards the fan. I've got a slight gap under my bathroom
door. Nice fan easy to fit and works well. Not sure if your fan is faulty or
just not very good however.

I have a 4 inch fan fitted in the loft space, vent in the celing,
sucking/venting through the roof via about 3 metres of pipe probably. I
don't know how much it sucks, i've never bothered to find out. It does
effectively vent the bathroom though going on the lack of persistent
condensation and mould :-) also going by the amount of dust and fluff
that has collected on the ceiling vent - esp. with all the recent
decorating that has been going on.

There is a gap under bathroom door, and it's is normally left a bit open
anyway.

--
Chris French, Leeds
ARWadsworth

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"JoeJoe" wrote in message

[...]

Try it without the draft shutter. There should be no problem with a 4 inch
fan (including Manrose) holding a piece of tissue paper.

Adam

JoeJoe

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"JoeJoe" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, tried just that, and the fan did manage to hold the paper, but only
just.

I am still not sure if there is a problem here, just the suction look quite
pathetic.

chris French

In message , JoeJoe writes

Thanks, tried just that, and the fan did manage to hold the paper, but only
just.

I am still not sure if there is a problem here, just the suction look quite
pathetic.

Question really is, does it do the job in terms of venting the bathroom.
I expect the rate of my fan venting is quite low, but it does the job
effectively, and pretty quietly - it's not really an issue for me if it
takes say 20 minutes to do this rather than 5.

In the kitchen however, it's much more important for the extractor to
work better, it has to deal with a lot more steam and smells and get rid
of them much quicker.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Martin Angove

In message ,
"JoeJoe" wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Try it without the draft shutter. There should be no problem with a 4 inch
fan (including Manrose) holding a piece of tissue paper.

Adam

Thanks, tried just that, and the fan did manage to hold the paper, but only
just.

I am still not sure if there is a problem here, just the suction look quite
pathetic.

FWIW I've just fitted a 4" Manrose (humidity model) with similar spec.
to our bathroom, and you can most definitely feel the suck when you
stick your hand up to it. I haven't tried it but it feels like it'd hold
a sheet of A5, and is certainly strong enough for a sheet or two of
toilet paper.

First thing I'd check if you're not getting this kind of suction from
yours is for air leaks around the fan itself - is the thing reasonably
well secured to the ducting, reasonably flush to the wall and is the
casing fitted properly? If not it is quite possible to have a kind of
"short circuit" which can cause the thing to suck air from around the
edges of the casing or even from within your cavity rather than through
the front of the unit.

As for how to improve this if it is the problem, I'm sure there will be
plenty of helpful suggestions here if only you ask :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... See that snail, That's your clock speed that is.

Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 04:28 AM
Toilet Blocks Bathroom Door From Fully Opening Question Mark Home Repair 9 February 22nd 04 02:40 AM
Ventilation Problem in Bathroom Paula Home Ownership 5 October 11th 03 08:29 AM