BarmyOne

Default Help with Paint Please

Hi,

I had my kitchen (walls and ceiling) and living room (ceiling) painted
yesterday. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan and extra coats are
required in both rooms so the guy is coming back to complete the job.

The annoying thing is the smell of paint still lingers in the two rooms.
I have had the windows open and a bucket of water in the middle of each
room which is supposed to soak-up the smell. But it isn't doing. Which
lead to my waking up this morning with one hell of a headache.

Can anyone sugest a method of getting rid of the paint fumes?

Also, in the living room my leather settee suffered paint "specs", which
aren't coming off using just plain water and elbow greese (as the
painter sugested). Can anyone sugest any other methods to remove the
specs. That won't damage the leather?

And finally, seeing as the guy is coming back and I don't want the
overpowering smell of paint lingering again can anyone sugest any
particular brand of odourless paint that is truely odourless? As I
intend of purchasing some and let him use that.

Anything to get rid of the smell and my new headaches

Thanks.
John Laird

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:10:06 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

I had my kitchen (walls and ceiling) and living room (ceiling) painted
yesterday. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan and extra coats are
required in both rooms so the guy is coming back to complete the job.

The annoying thing is the smell of paint still lingers in the two rooms.
I have had the windows open and a bucket of water in the middle of each
room which is supposed to soak-up the smell. But it isn't doing. Which
lead to my waking up this morning with one hell of a headache.

Can anyone sugest a method of getting rid of the paint fumes?

Never heard of this bucket of water trick. Emulsion smells fade very
quickly, though. You could try a bowl with some vinegar in.

Also, in the living room my leather settee suffered paint "specs", which
aren't coming off using just plain water and elbow greese (as the
painter sugested). Can anyone sugest any other methods to remove the
specs. That won't damage the leather?

Ask the painter to tidy up the mess *he* has made. Failing that, you should
be able to gently scrape the flecks off with a blunt knife, car windscreen
scraper, something like that. Or wait until they rub off.

And finally, seeing as the guy is coming back and I don't want the
overpowering smell of paint lingering again can anyone sugest any
particular brand of odourless paint that is truely odourless? As I
intend of purchasing some and let him use that.

Anything to get rid of the smell and my new headaches

You're making a bit of a fuss over not very much. All paints smell to some
extent. But emulsion paint is generally pretty harmless. I've only ever
noticed low-odour claims on glosses, which tend to have far higher solvent
contents by design. I presume you've not had your walls and ceilings
glossed ?

--
Psychic Convention cancelled due to unforeseen problems.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Cicero

"BarmyOne" wrote in message
[...]

=============
When the painting is finished open all windows and use an electric fan for a
few hours to clear the fumes. I would also suggest to your decorator that he
uses a dust sheet to cover your expensive leather settee, or cover it
yourself with a cheap polythene sheet from 'Focus' etc. before painting
begins.

Cic.

BarmyOne

John Laird wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:10:06 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

I had my kitchen (walls and ceiling) and living room (ceiling) painted
yesterday. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan and extra coats are
required in both rooms so the guy is coming back to complete the job.

The annoying thing is the smell of paint still lingers in the two rooms.
I have had the windows open and a bucket of water in the middle of each
room which is supposed to soak-up the smell. But it isn't doing. Which
lead to my waking up this morning with one hell of a headache.

Can anyone sugest a method of getting rid of the paint fumes?

Never heard of this bucket of water trick. Emulsion smells fade very
quickly, though. You could try a bowl with some vinegar in.

The lasttime I had both rooms painted. The then painter sugested it. It
worked wonders, the smell faded within about 6 hours or so. This time
however, it isn't doing so.

I shall try the vinegar idea. Thanks.

Also, in the living room my leather settee suffered paint "specs", which
aren't coming off using just plain water and elbow greese (as the
painter sugested). Can anyone sugest any other methods to remove the
specs. That won't damage the leather?

Ask the painter to tidy up the mess *he* has made. Failing that, you should
be able to gently scrape the flecks off with a blunt knife, car windscreen
scraper, something like that. Or wait until they rub off.

Hmm it looks like the last idea maybe the better option. I daren't even
contemplate trying to scrape it with something as abrasive as a knife or
scraper owing to it being a very soft leather.

And finally, seeing as the guy is coming back and I don't want the
overpowering smell of paint lingering again can anyone sugest any
particular brand of odourless paint that is truely odourless? As I
intend of purchasing some and let him use that.

Anything to get rid of the smell and my new headaches

You're making a bit of a fuss over not very much.

Let's hope so. As it is, the fumes are a little on the harsh side

All paints smell to some
extent. But emulsion paint is generally pretty harmless. I've only ever
noticed low-odour claims on glosses, which tend to have far higher solvent
contents by design. I presume you've not had your walls and ceilings
glossed ?

Yes the ceilings and door frames have been glossed. Not the walls though.

Thanks for answering my questions.
BarmyOne

Cicero wrote:

"BarmyOne" wrote in message

[...]

I must admit to trying this already. It had little effect unfortunately.

I would also suggest to your decorator that he
uses a dust sheet to cover your expensive leather settee, or cover it
yourself with a cheap polythene sheet from 'Focus' etc. before painting
begins.

That's worth remembering for next time. I had thought based on the use
of dust sheets being used in the kitchen that they would have continued
to use them in the living room. They insist they did, but that the paint
seeped through the sheets and speckled the settee. Time they purchased
some new ones I think.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

John Laird

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:16:39 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

That's worth remembering for next time. I had thought based on the use
of dust sheets being used in the kitchen that they would have continued
to use them in the living room. They insist they did, but that the paint
seeped through the sheets and speckled the settee. Time they purchased
some new ones I think.

I suggest you don't use these guys again. Paint that seeped through a sheet
would leave smears. Specks are what fall off brushes or rollers onto
unprotected surfaces.

In another post you mentioned that the ceiling had indeed been glossed, and
I presume it is this which is on your leather suite. Gloss paint is going
to be harder to shift than emulsion - I am torn between suggesting you try
to get it off before it fully hardens, or waiting until that happens in the
hope it may flake off more easily. Perhaps the latter. If the leather is
soft, you may be able to "pinch" an area with your fingers and acutely fold
the skin under a speckle to see if it can be teased off. It's unlikely the
leather will fall apart if you gently scrape the surface with something
semi-sharp. It was once gracing the outside of a cow...

--
Don't steal. The government hates competition.

Mail john rather than nospam...
chris French

In message , BarmyOne
writes
John Laird wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:10:06 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

I had my kitchen (walls and ceiling) and living room (ceiling)
painted yesterday. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan and extra
coats are required in both rooms so the guy is coming back to
complete the job.

The annoying thing is the smell of paint still lingers in the two
rooms.

snip

All paints smell to some
extent. But emulsion paint is generally pretty harmless. I've only ever
noticed low-odour claims on glosses, which tend to have far higher solvent
contents by design. I presume you've not had your walls and ceilings
glossed ?

Yes the ceilings and door frames have been glossed. Not the walls though.

Then that is probably the answer - it's unusual to gloss ceilings (why
was this done) and this would release a fair a bit of smelly fumes. The
fumes from emulsion paint are nothing to compare - being a waterbased
product.

There are alternatives to oil-based gloss paints, though probably not as
good as oil based.
--
Chris French, Leeds
AK

"BarmyOne" wrote in message

That's worth remembering for next time. I had thought based on the use
of dust sheets being used in the kitchen that they would have continued
to use them in the living room. They insist they did, but that the paint
seeped through the sheets and speckled the settee. Time they purchased
some new ones I think.

They have damaged it I would suggest you make them put it right. If they
are professional decorators they should know full well how to protect things
from paint and if their dust sheets were too porous that's there problem.
If it can't be got off claim for a new sofa

N. Thornton

BarmyOne wrote in message .. .
John Laird wrote:

All paints smell to some
extent. But emulsion paint is generally pretty harmless. I've only ever
noticed low-odour claims on glosses, which tend to have far higher solvent
contents by design. I presume you've not had your walls and ceilings
glossed ?

Yes the ceilings and door frames have been glossed. Not the walls though.

Thanks for answering my questions.

no wonder, gloss solvents are known to be toxic. Since its ceiling,
try water based gloss next time, it performs better except at hard
wearing, something you dont need for a ceiling. If you really want
them gloss.

NT
Pete C

[...]

An air purifier with a charcoal filter will do it. Also water based
gloss has much less odour and stays white for longer, though it's less
durable if kids are around.

cheers,
Pete.

Pete C

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:16:39 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

That's worth remembering for next time. I had thought based on the use
of dust sheets being used in the kitchen that they would have continued
to use them in the living room. They insist they did, but that the paint
seeped through the sheets and speckled the settee. Time they purchased
some new ones I think.

Hi,

Sounds like they didn't bother or don't know their trade. Cotton dust
sheets are for just that - dust. Polythene dust sheets will protect
against paint drips and spatter as well.

cheers,
Pete.
Cicero

"BarmyOne" wrote in message
John Laird wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:10:06 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

I had my kitchen (walls and ceiling) and living room (ceiling) painted
yesterday. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan and extra coats are
required in both rooms so the guy is coming back to complete the job.

snipped

Yes the ceilings and door frames have been glossed. Not the walls though.

Thanks for answering my questions.

====================
Gloss paint on ceilings isn't a good idea because of the fire risk. I don't
know if there are any specific regulations on the subject but I recall
something to that effect - possibly in conjunction with polystyrene tiles.
Somebody will probably come along shortly to give the full facts.

Cic.

BarmyOne

chris French wrote:
In message , BarmyOne
writes

John Laird wrote:

[...]

Probably down to my instructions. They being, "I want to be able to just
wipe the ceiling clean when it gets discoloured". The ceiling has an
Artex type of layer on it in both rooms I think it was once called
"stipple" effect.

In the main room (living room) various friends and family come visiting
and invariably smoke their cigarettes in this room. As a result, the
ceiling gets discoloured. In the past, I have cleaned it using a vileda
mop. Though painting it every couple of years or so seemed a good
idea. When the discolouration gets too much. I explained this to the
painter and his mate and they both sounded like they knew what to put on it.

and this would release a fair a bit of smelly fumes.

I am glad that at least I am not alone in thinking this. I was beginning
to consider the possibility that I was being over sensitive

The
fumes from emulsion paint are nothing to compare - being a waterbased
product.

There are alternatives to oil-based gloss paints, though probably not as
good as oil based.

BarmyOne

John Laird wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:16:39 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

That's worth remembering for next time. I had thought based on the use
of dust sheets being used in the kitchen that they would have continued
to use them in the living room. They insist they did, but that the paint
seeped through the sheets and speckled the settee. Time they purchased
some new ones I think.

I suggest you don't use these guys again.

Don't worry, I shan't be doing. I shall however, let them finish the job.

Paint that seeped through a sheet
would leave smears. Specks are what fall off brushes or rollers onto
unprotected surfaces.

That was my thinking as well.

In another post you mentioned that the ceiling had indeed been glossed, and
I presume it is this which is on your leather suite. Gloss paint is going
to be harder to shift than emulsion - I am torn between suggesting you try
to get it off before it fully hardens,

It seems to have done so. At least it doesn't "smear" as you would
expect if you tried to wipe paint off of a surface and it hadn't dried.

or waiting until that happens in the
hope it may flake off more easily. Perhaps the latter. If the leather is
soft, you may be able to "pinch" an area with your fingers and acutely fold
the skin under a speckle to see if it can be teased off.

I have tried this but it doesn't seem to be working. The remaining specs
are quite small but persistant. At least they have resisted my
scratching at them with my fingernail.

It's unlikely the
leather will fall apart if you gently scrape the surface with something
semi-sharp. It was once gracing the outside of a cow...

Good point and after reading that sentence. I am happy to confirm that a
couple of them have been removed. Using a blunt knife and stretching the
leather between my thumb and forefinger. Unfortunately, one of them I
attacked using this method has infact smeared. So it looks like I
shall have to wait for them all to harden up a little bit before I try
that again.

John Laird

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:03:14 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

Good point and after reading that sentence. I am happy to confirm that a
couple of them have been removed. Using a blunt knife and stretching the
leather between my thumb and forefinger. Unfortunately, one of them I
attacked using this method has infact smeared. So it looks like I
shall have to wait for them all to harden up a little bit before I try
that again.

If you come across some blobs which are still soft (and I suppose the
chances are receding daily), you could hit them with a very small dab of
white spirit on a soft cloth. Maybe try this on a bit of the suite that's
hidden from sight first. I have had to use the likes of Stain Devils to get
biro marks off my light-coloured suite (price of having kids) and at worst
there has been a very small amount of dye rub off, which is not apparent on
the suite, just the cloth I was cleaning it with.

At the end of the day, it's a piece of furniture for using, not admiring at
a distance. Some damage is inevitable.

--
Fer sell cheep: IBM spel chekker. Wurks grate.

Mail john rather than nospam...

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 01:59 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM