BarmyOne

John Laird wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:10:06 GMT, BarmyOne wrote:

I had my kitchen (walls and ceiling) and living room (ceiling) painted
yesterday. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan and extra coats are
required in both rooms so the guy is coming back to complete the job.

The annoying thing is the smell of paint still lingers in the two rooms.
I have had the windows open and a bucket of water in the middle of each
room which is supposed to soak-up the smell. But it isn't doing. Which
lead to my waking up this morning with one hell of a headache.

Can anyone sugest a method of getting rid of the paint fumes?

Never heard of this bucket of water trick. Emulsion smells fade very
quickly, though. You could try a bowl with some vinegar in.

The lasttime I had both rooms painted. The then painter sugested it. It
worked wonders, the smell faded within about 6 hours or so. This time
however, it isn't doing so.

I shall try the vinegar idea. Thanks.

Also, in the living room my leather settee suffered paint "specs", which
aren't coming off using just plain water and elbow greese (as the
painter sugested). Can anyone sugest any other methods to remove the
specs. That won't damage the leather?

Ask the painter to tidy up the mess *he* has made. Failing that, you should
be able to gently scrape the flecks off with a blunt knife, car windscreen
scraper, something like that. Or wait until they rub off.

Hmm it looks like the last idea maybe the better option. I daren't even
contemplate trying to scrape it with something as abrasive as a knife or
scraper owing to it being a very soft leather.

And finally, seeing as the guy is coming back and I don't want the
overpowering smell of paint lingering again can anyone sugest any
particular brand of odourless paint that is truely odourless? As I
intend of purchasing some and let him use that.

Anything to get rid of the smell and my new headaches

You're making a bit of a fuss over not very much.

Let's hope so. As it is, the fumes are a little on the harsh side

All paints smell to some
extent. But emulsion paint is generally pretty harmless. I've only ever
noticed low-odour claims on glosses, which tend to have far higher solvent
contents by design. I presume you've not had your walls and ceilings
glossed ?

Yes the ceilings and door frames have been glossed. Not the walls though.

Thanks for answering my questions.