Old June 12th 21, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Left hand down?

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:02:19 +0100, charles wrote:

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

That was line in "The Navy Lark", a radio comedy programme from the 1950s.

Which was never meant to be taken seriously!

Old June 12th 21, 07:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop,alt.usage.english

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:08:17 +0100, wrote:

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 12:13:11 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse. And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

You ranted about the same thing in 2017. Tedious.

You remembered I did that. You're not right in the head.
Old June 12th 21, 07:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:13:04 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

Why do people say left hand down instead of left?

They don't.

We all know which way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.

What, it's the opposite if you want the car to go left when going in
reverse? ;-)

And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

It does when you understand it's function.

It's an instruction from someone who has a good idea which way the
wheels need to be when (often / typically) manoeuvring the car in
close quarters (like going up onto a vehicle lift) where there isn't
much room for error.

So, an experienced mechanic guiding someone not familiar with driving
vehicles up onto a ramp might say 'left hand down a bit' under the
assumption the driver is holding the wheel at 10 to 2 or similar. They
may well also guide an experienced driver the same way because they
would except / understand the terms without question.

Cheers, T i m
Old June 12th 21, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:32:41 +0100, Andy Burned, another mentally deficient,
troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered:

Because it avoids any uncertainty between driver's left and guider's
left, if they're facing different ways, or one is looking at the other
in a mirror.

You senile asshole STILL don't know what's going on? Just HOW senile are
you? LOL
Old June 12th 21, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's Eternal Senile Whore!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:37:40 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.

You STILL haven't learned your lesson, you retarded bigmouthed troll-feeding
Yankie swine? See you over in ahr again, you perverted old gossip! Are you
ready? BG

Old June 12th 21, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Natural Idiot Alert!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:58:19 +0100, The Natural Idiot, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered again:

I take it you have never steered a boat with a tiller

I take it you are too debile and senile to resist that idiotic troll's
idiotic baits, The Natural Idiot! G
Old June 12th 21, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:02:19 +0100, charles, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered:

That was line in "The Navy Lark", a radio comedy programme from the 1950s.

That was another bait set out by the dumbest and best-known troll around,
which you senile asshole swallowed, hook, line and sinker!
Old June 12th 21, 08:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile C R E T I N Alert!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:59:28 +0100, D i m, the absolutely brain dead
notorious troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered, yet again:

It does when you understand it's function.

You are so senile and d i m (you ridiculous veggietard) that you don't even
understand it when you get baited, yet again, by the dumbest filthy troll
around! BG

Old June 12th 21, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2021 11:00 AM, JNugent wrote:
On 12/06/2021 05:37 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 06/12/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.

Even better: the little TV camera built into the rear of some modern
cars which outputs a display to the car's computer screen.

My new car has one of those. It comes in very handy to make sure I don't
run over the damn cat. For an animal supposed to be cleanly he loves to
roll in the driveway dirt.
Old June 12th 21, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which
way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in
reverse. And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't
on the wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

That was line in "The Navy Lark", a radio comedy programme from the
1950s.

Which was never meant to be taken seriously!

really?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

OT: Left hand down? Commander Kinsey[_3_] Home Repair 89 June 15th 21 08:40 PM
"Left hand down" ItsJoanNotJoann Home Repair 4 November 9th 17 12:31 AM
"Left hand down" Iggy Home Repair 0 November 7th 17 09:14 PM
Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal [email protected] Home Repair 168 July 14th 17 09:05 PM
[OT-ish] Left over right, right over left David WE Roberts UK diy 14 October 25th 09 01:46 AM