Old June 12th 21, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Left hand down?

Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse. And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

Old June 12th 21, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:13:04 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

FLUSH the subnormal sociopathic trolling attention whore's latest
attention-baiting sick bull**** unread again

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander
Kinsey" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to
Old June 12th 21, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote:

Why do people say left hand down instead of left?

Because it avoids any uncertainty between driver's left and guider's
left, if they're facing different ways, or one is looking at the other
in a mirror.
Old June 12th 21, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.
Old June 12th 21, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 17:13, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

I take it you have never steered a boat with a tiller

--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Old June 12th 21, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 05:37 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 06/12/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.

Even better: the little TV camera built into the rear of some modern
cars which outputs a display to the car's computer screen.

Old June 12th 21, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

That was line in "The Navy Lark", a radio comedy programme from the 1950s.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old June 12th 21, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:32:41 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:

Why do people say left hand down instead of left?

Because it avoids any uncertainty between driver's left and guider's
left, if they're facing different ways, or one is looking at the other
in a mirror.

Why on earth would you think it was guider's left? If you're helping someone move a car, it's obviously the car you're thinking about!
Old June 12th 21, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:00:12 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 12/06/2021 05:37 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 06/12/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.

Even better: the little TV camera built into the rear of some modern
cars which outputs a display to the car's computer screen.

Neither of those give you a full 180 degree+ view.
Old June 12th 21, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:58:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 12/06/2021 17:13, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

I take it you have never steered a boat with a tiller

Why would that matter? Unless the person operating the boat didn't know how to steer a boat, you're just telling them to move the boat left.

OT: Left hand down? Commander Kinsey[_3_] Home Repair 89 June 15th 21 08:40 PM
"Left hand down" ItsJoanNotJoann Home Repair 4 November 9th 17 12:31 AM
"Left hand down" Iggy Home Repair 0 November 7th 17 09:14 PM
Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal [email protected] Home Repair 168 July 14th 17 09:05 PM
[OT-ish] Left over right, right over left David WE Roberts UK diy 14 October 25th 09 01:46 AM