Old June 12th 21, 10:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Left hand down?

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:13:04 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse. And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

My father was a concert pianist. He was being given a lift by another
pianist. Dad knew the way and was giving verbal instructions. Every
time he said left or right he noticed a definite hesitation on the
part of the driver. Then he had an idea and, instead of "turn left" he
said "turn bass" and instead of "right", "treble". He said it worked a
treat!

Old June 12th 21, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 06/12/2021 11:00 AM, JNugent wrote:
On 12/06/2021 05:37 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 06/12/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in
reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.

Even better: the little TV camera built into the rear of some modern
cars which outputs a display to the car's computer screen.

My new car has one of those. It comes in very handy to make sure I don't
run over the damn cat. For an animal supposed to be cleanly he loves to
roll in the driveway dirt.

He does that because he cant grip the tap in the shower.

Old June 12th 21, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 21:48:42 +0100, charles, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered:

really?

As in, are you "really" a troll-feeding senile asshole?
Old June 12th 21, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 14:42:02 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

My new car has one of those. It comes in very handy to make sure I don't
run over the damn cat. For an animal supposed to be cleanly he loves to
roll in the driveway dirt.

Cool! You ARE really the coolest senile gossip ever seen on Usenet! LOL
Old June 12th 21, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 06:58:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

He does that because he cant grip the tap in the shower.

Oh, PLEASE, spare everyone your pathetic attempts at some sort of human
humour, senile sociopath!

Old June 12th 21, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:37:40 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 06/12/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.

Whadda yu mean mirrors? Whaddar day?

--
Tekkie
Old June 12th 21, 11:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 21:57:05 +0100, Graham Harrison, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Oh, ****, another senile moron appeared to feed the troll with one of his
senile bull**** stories! tsk
Old June 13th 21, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Left hand down?

I thought it was invented by the BBC for the Navy Lark.
However it actually makes moor since on a bike or in an aircraft where you
lean into a turn.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news

Old June 13th 21, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Disgusting Blind Mole Alert!

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:30:01 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I thought it was invented by the BBC for the Navy Lark.
However it actually makes moor since on a bike or in an aircraft where you
lean into a turn.
Brainless & Daft

It would make a LOT moor since [sic] if you shut your stupid gob,
troll-feeding senile cretin!
Old June 13th 21, 11:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse. And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

My father was a concert pianist. He was being given a lift by another
pianist. Dad knew the way and was giving verbal instructions. Every
time he said left or right he noticed a definite hesitation on the
part of the driver. Then he had an idea and, instead of "turn left" he
said "turn bass" and instead of "right", "treble". He said it worked a
treat!

I thought it came from that radio series 'The Navy Lark' with Kenneth
Williams, Bill Pertwee and others. In it, HMS Troutbridge is crewed by
a bunch of incompetents, and instead of giving orders to the helmsman
such as 'steer 240 degrees', it was always 'left hand down a bit'.

But it may go back much further than that.

I always remember the overDundee cake...

OT: Left hand down? Commander Kinsey[_3_] Home Repair 89 June 15th 21 08:40 PM
"Left hand down" ItsJoanNotJoann Home Repair 4 November 9th 17 12:31 AM
"Left hand down" Iggy Home Repair 0 November 7th 17 09:14 PM
Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal [email protected] Home Repair 168 July 14th 17 09:05 PM
[OT-ish] Left over right, right over left David WE Roberts UK diy 14 October 25th 09 01:46 AM