Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Problems with Moto G 6-plus Phone

My phone tends to suffer from two problems - which may or may not be
related. [Moto g(6)plus, Android 9, Build: PPW29-116-20-28]

Firstly, it sometimes refuses to answer an incoming call. I can tap
Accept, or swipe up - depending on what it was doing at the time - but
it just goes on ringing until it goes to voicemail.

Secondly, I frequently lose incoming sound in the middle of a call. The
person the other end can apparently hear me, but I can't hear them. [The
call starts ok with 2-way speech, but this typically happens a minute or
so into the call.

Any clues on what to look for?

[The usual mobile/Android groups have not borne fruit, so I'm
cross-posting here since this NG is by far the best source of all things
technical.]

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 23:23, Roger Mills wrote:

My phone tends to suffer from two problems - which may or may not be
related. [Moto g(6)plus, Android 9, Build: PPW29-116-20-28]

Firstly, it sometimes refuses to answer an incoming call. I can tap
Accept, or swipe up - depending on what it was doing at the time - but
it just goes on ringing until it goes to voicemail.

Secondly, I frequently lose incoming sound in the middle of a call. The
person the other end can apparently hear me, but I can't hear them. [The
call starts ok with 2-way speech, but this typically happens a minute or
so into the call.

Any clues on what to look for?

[The usual mobile/Android groups have not borne fruit, so I'm
cross-posting here since this NG is by far the best source of all things
technical.]

I've had several Moto G phones of various models over the past few years
(currently on an 8). One had a "hard" microphone failure, two others
started showing short battery life but associated with the phone, not
the battery. In each case after something like 18 months to two years of
use. As relatively low cost phones given their performance I just
replaced them. I did divert to Huawei for a while but that was
unreliable downloading BBC Sounds files. Touch screens seem a little
flakey with either cold or wet hands. I've actually never lost or broken
a phone, but I tend to regard £100 or so as a throw away sum, whereas
I'd be reluctant to risk £500 plus on one. YMMV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 23:23, Roger Mills wrote:

My phone tends to suffer from two problems - which may or may not be
related. [Moto g(6)plus, Android 9, Build: PPW29-116-20-28]

I have the same phone on the same OS revision. Not had either of those
on mine...

Have had a funny where it makes no sound when ringing, but vibrates
still, and works when you answer. A power cycle fixes that.

Firstly, it sometimes refuses to answer an incoming call. I can tap
Accept, or swipe up - depending on what it was doing at the time - but
it just goes on ringing until it goes to voicemail.

Secondly, I frequently lose incoming sound in the middle of a call. The
person the other end can apparently hear me, but I can't hear them. [The
call starts ok with 2-way speech, but this typically happens a minute or
so into the call.

Does the same happen via bluetooth?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I've had several Moto G phones of various models over the past few years
(currently on an 8). One had a "hard" microphone failure, two others
started showing short battery life but associated with the phone, not
the battery. In each case after something like 18 months to two years of
use. As relatively low cost phones given their performance I just
replaced them. I did divert to Huawei for a while but that was
unreliable downloading BBC Sounds files. Touch screens seem a little
flakey with either cold or wet hands. I've actually never lost or broken
a phone, but I tend to regard £100 or so as a throw away sum, whereas
I'd be reluctant to risk £500 plus on one. YMMV.

Mobile phones seem to live in a wierd "value for money" world of their
own. If I spent £100 plus on a piece of technology I would expect it
to work pretty well and I certainly wouldn't regard it as "throw
away".

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The fault sounds to me like randomly the perceived gestures are not working
or it thinks a gesture has been done but has not. I don't really know if
there is a mute caller gesture, but if there is then it might get triggered
by a dodgy screen.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 09:06, Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:

[...]

My phone hardware costs me typically £50 a year. Considering how
transformative it is, I regard that as amazing value for money.

But I don't feel the need to spend £1000 a year for the latest bells and
whistles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

[...]

Yes, but it doesn't appear to work particularly well! :-)

My current mobile cost £29 and has lasted me some years already. It
is pretty good at sending and receiving phone calls and sending and
receiving texts which is all I need it to do.

But I don't feel the need to spend £1000 a year for the latest bells and
whistles.

I'm with you there! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

The fault sounds to me like randomly the perceived gestures are not
working or it thinks a gesture has been done but has not.

I don't really know if there is a mute caller gesture,

Corse there is, but its too obscene to be posted in here.

but if there is then it might get triggered by a dodgy screen.

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

[...]

I use mine as a satnav and it presents Landranger maps showing your
location that are very useable on the ground, you can even download
sections where there is no mobile coverage. A lot of web sites now have
decent mobile versions too. I don't use it much as a camera but
occasionally it is useful, e.g. to photograph a VIN plate when you are
hunting for vehicle spares. But I didn't go to smart phones until they
dropped to near enough £100.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

[...]

I use an old Moto as my satnav, it has no SIM in it and is thus worth
very little which is fortunate because I regularly leave it totally
insecure stuck on the front of my 'bike! I run Here! we go as that
doesn't need a SIM to work, just its maps and GPS.

I don't use it much as a camera but
occasionally it is useful, e.g. to photograph a VIN plate when you are
hunting for vehicle spares. But I didn't go to smart phones until they
dropped to near enough £100.

I have a proper (but pocketable) camera with a viewfinder, much better
to use that *any* mobile phone camera and I have it with me more often
than my 'phone.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 01:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/06/2021 23:23, Roger Mills wrote:

My phone tends to suffer from two problems - which may or may not be
related. [Moto g(6)plus, Android 9, Build: PPW29-116-20-28]

I have the same phone on the same OS revision. Not had either of those
on mine...

Have had a funny where it makes no sound when ringing, but vibrates
still, and works when you answer. A power cycle fixes that.

Firstly, it sometimes refuses to answer an incoming call. I can tap
Accept, or swipe up - depending on what it was doing at the time - but
it just goes on ringing until it goes to voicemail.

Secondly, I frequently lose incoming sound in the middle of a call.
The person the other end can apparently hear me, but I can't hear
them. [The call starts ok with 2-way speech, but this typically
happens a minute or so into the call.

Does the same happen via bluetooth?

Do you mean when using it "hands-free" etc.? I don't recall it ever
happening on an in-car call - but I make/receive very few of those anyway.

I have discovered that the accessibility function "press power button to
end call" was turned on, so I've turned it off. The way I hold the phone
during calls could inadvertently cause the power button to be pressed.
If that were the problem though, I wouldn't expect the other party to
still be able to hear me - but they can.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 15:01, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Yup, since then its using the same call data, but "rendering" it on
different hardware. So that would bypass the audio amp and speaker
sections of the phone.

If it loses audio mid call, can you still get other sounds out of the
phone (just wondering if this is hardware or software)

I have discovered that the accessibility function "press power button to
end call" was turned on, so I've turned it off. The way I hold the phone
during calls could inadvertently cause the power button to be pressed.
If that were the problem though, I wouldn't expect the other party to
still be able to hear me - but they can.

That sounds like it would end the call.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I've had several Moto G phones of various models over the past few years
(currently on an 8). One had a "hard" microphone failure, two others
started showing short battery life but associated with the phone, not
the battery. In each case after something like 18 months to two years of
use. As relatively low cost phones given their performance I just
replaced them. I did divert to Huawei for a while but that was
unreliable downloading BBC Sounds files. Touch screens seem a little
flakey with either cold or wet hands. I've actually never lost or broken
a phone, but I tend to regard £100 or so as a throw away sum, whereas
I'd be reluctant to risk £500 plus on one. YMMV.

Mobile phones seem to live in a wierd "value for money" world of their
own.Â* If I spent £100 plus on a piece of technology I would expect it
to work pretty well and I certainly wouldn't regard it as "throw
away".

My phone hardware costs me typically £50 a year. Considering how
transformative it is, I regard that as amazing value for money.

But I don't feel the need to spend £1000 a year for the latest bells and
whistles.

Indeed, although one irritating aspect of it is that the hardware will
typically last longer than the support from the manufacturer. Even top
tier makers normally only offer three years now. So you can find
yourself in the situation of having a perfectly good handset that does
all you need, but is a walking security vulnerability because critical
flaws have not been patched and likely won't ever be.

--
Cheers,

John.