Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

Default Turnpike

For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been
very flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.

Have things moved on? Is it my tackle? Is there a keyboard alternative
to check the operation?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

On 15/05/2021 10:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been
very flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.

Have things moved on? Is it my tackle? Is there a keyboard alternative
to check the operation?

Impressed that you use your tackle for that task and not surprised that
the mouse pad is grubby.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been
very flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.

Have things moved on? Is it my tackle? Is there a keyboard alternative
to check the operation?

Maybe the mouse is slipping on the pad? You could try cleaning the mat
and the underside of the mouse, as grease tends to build up. You could
even try dispensing with a mat, if the top of your desk isn't too shiny.

Have you checked that the mouse's cable (assuming it's not a wi-fi
mouse) is securely attached at both ends? Have you checked with another
application - say your text editor - to determine if you see the same
behaviour there? Do you have the most up-to-date driver for your mouse?

If none of that leads to a solution, it could be that some internal
component of the mouse is wonky and - given how cheap mice are - it
might be easiest just to buy a new one.
--
John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
pays off now." Anon
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

On 15/05/2021 10:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been
very flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.

Have things moved on? Is it my tackle?

Probably.

Is there a keyboard alternative
to check the operation?

Try Shift-cursor keys

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In message , Richard
writes
On 15/05/2021 10:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been
very flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.
Have things moved on? Is it my tackle? Is there a keyboard
alternative to check the operation?

Impressed that you use your tackle for that task and not surprised that
the mouse pad is grubby.

:-) Self taught leaves a lot of gaps!

Shift/cursor keys is fine. The pad is severely abraded below the
grubbiness but much improved off centre.

Desk top is plastic Oak so slippery.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In message , John Hall
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
[...]

It's the pad!

Cable OK, same elsewhere. Driver? AVG would love me to sign up for their
driver updater service:-(

Fine with keyboard controls.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 15/05/2021 10:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been
very flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.
Have things moved on? Is it my tackle?

Probably.

Yes. Dirt.

Is there a keyboard alternative to check the operation?

Try Shift-cursor keys

That's the kiddy! I left higher education around the time local computer
services came on the scene so missed any useful keyboard training.

New mouse pad is the answer.

Thanks all.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In message , Tim Lamb
wrote
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been
very flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.

Have things moved on? Is it my tackle?

Can't see from here...

Is there a keyboard alternative to check the operation?

Mouse click to start of unwanted text; Control Shift & hold; then select
words with right arrow.

--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 10:53:00 +0100, John Hall
wrote:

snip

Maybe the mouse is slipping on the pad? You could try cleaning the mat
and the underside of the mouse, as grease tends to build up. You could
even try dispensing with a mat, if the top of your desk isn't too shiny.

I once bought a 'proper'(?) optical mouse mat and the Apple mouse
wouldn't work on it at all and my Logitech optical mouse was far less
accurate on that than on my leg! ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In message , Andy
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
wrote
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been
very flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.

Have things moved on? Is it my tackle?

Can't see from here...

Is there a keyboard alternative to check the operation?

Mouse click to start of unwanted text; Control Shift & hold; then
select words with right arrow.

Ok Andy. Dirty/worn pad is the cause of the problem.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
John Hall wrote

Maybe the mouse is slipping on the pad? You could
try cleaning the mat and the underside of the mouse, as
grease tends to build up. You could even try dispensing
with a mat, if the top of your desk isn't too shiny.

I once bought a 'proper'(?) optical mouse mat and the Apple mouse
wouldn't work on it at all and my Logitech optical mouse was far less
accurate on that than on my leg! ;-(

I got the reverse effect with my Logitech M560. Wouldn't work at
all on my now extremely daggy ex book cover that I use to run the
mouse on with the cover on my lap in the big arm chair with my
feet up on the footstool that I do all my computing from.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wi83kl8v..._2880.jpg?dl=0
so I had to use a proper mouse mat on that.

That mouse wont track on the fleece on my chest in winter either.

The replacement Logitech M705 tracks fine on both without the
mouse mat. I still use the mouse mat on the extremely daggy ex
book cover just because the extremely daggy ex book cover is
now so rough and doesn't work well for the mouse feet.

With any luck Pamela will burst a blood vessel or something
when she sees the extremely daggy ex book cover :-(

I replaced the M560 with the M705 because the left mouse
button on the M560 has done the usual multi clicks on a
single left mouse click which is what has happened to all
the logitech mice I have ever owned. I used to get all
those mice for free because by the time that the button
fails, its still in the very long warranty and they can no
longer supply that mouse and so do a full refund.

Didn't work out like that with the M560 tho, I stupidly
bought 2 at the same time with a 3 year warranty so
I could just reach for the other when the first one
failed, but obviously when the second one failed
it was well outside the warranty period.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 May 2021 03:25:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 May 2021 03:25:52 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

T i m wrote
John Hall wrote

Maybe the mouse is slipping on the pad? You could
try cleaning the mat and the underside of the mouse, as
grease tends to build up. You could even try dispensing
with a mat, if the top of your desk isn't too shiny.

I once bought a 'proper'(?) optical mouse mat and the Apple mouse
wouldn't work on it at all and my Logitech optical mouse was far less
accurate on that than on my leg! ;-(

I got the reverse effect with my Logitech M560. Wouldn't work at
all on my now extremely daggy ex book cover that I use to run the
mouse on with the cover on my lap in the big arm chair with my
feet up on the footstool that I do all my computing from.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wi83kl8v..._2880.jpg?dl=0
so I had to use a proper mouse mat on that.

Interesting patination. Was that there originally or grown there over
time?

That mouse wont track on the fleece on my chest in winter either.

I have a HP (branded?) wireless optical mouse I use via a 4 way KVM
switch when trying or setting up new stuff and often use the mouse on
the bed and that's fine.

The replacement Logitech M705 tracks fine on both without the
mouse mat.

You would think the same make and general functionality (ball v
optical reflective v camera(?)) would behave equally on the same
surface?

I still use the mouse mat on the extremely daggy ex
book cover just because the extremely daggy ex book cover is
now so rough and doesn't work well for the mouse feet.

That's something I have noticed on long-surviving mice, the feet
wearing out.

With any luck Pamela will burst a blood vessel or something
when she sees the extremely daggy ex book cover :-(

I replaced the M560 with the M705 because the left mouse
button on the M560 has done the usual multi clicks on a
single left mouse click which is what has happened to all
the logitech mice I have ever owned.

Oh? Something I need to watch out for on the one I'm using here then
(M720).

I used to get all
those mice for free because by the time that the button
fails, its still in the very long warranty and they can no
longer supply that mouse and so do a full refund.

Good customer service.

Didn't work out like that with the M560 tho, I stupidly
bought 2 at the same time with a 3 year warranty so
I could just reach for the other when the first one
failed, but obviously when the second one failed
it was well outside the warranty period.

Doh. Mind you, I have quite a few new things here I bought ready for
that next_on_the_list project that didn't turn out as hoped.

I try to test electronics I buy (more often online) at least to check
it works generally (not so easy on a multipin / function device like
an ESP32 micro controller but luckily they aren't too much money. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote
John Hall wrote

Maybe the mouse is slipping on the pad? You could
try cleaning the mat and the underside of the mouse, as
grease tends to build up. You could even try dispensing
with a mat, if the top of your desk isn't too shiny.

I once bought a 'proper'(?) optical mouse mat and the Apple
mouse wouldn't work on it at all and my Logitech optical
mouse was far less accurate on that than on my leg! ;-(

I got the reverse effect with my Logitech M560. Wouldn't work
at all on my now extremely daggy ex book cover that I use to
run the mouse on with the cover on my lap in the big arm chair
with my feet up on the footstool that I do all my computing from.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wi83kl8v..._2880.jpg?dl=0
so I had to use a proper mouse mat on that.

Interesting patination.

Yeah, not at all clear how that happened over time.

I do have the dinner plate on it at dinner time
too, so presumably that's how it happened.

That over a few decades now.

Was that there originally

Nope. It was originally a thin recipe book, then that
half of the cover came off after about a decade.

or grown there over time?

That mouse wont track on the fleece on my chest in winter either.

I have a HP (branded?) wireless optical mouse I use via
a 4 way KVM switch when trying or setting up new stuff
and often use the mouse on the bed and that's fine.

Yeah the M560 tracks on all other cloth fine, and the T shirts
I wear all year round and the sweat top I wear in the cooler
weather, but for some reason not the massive great Aldi
fleeces I have about 5 of I wear in the winter.

The replacement Logitech M705 tracks
fine on both without the mouse mat.

You would think the same make and general
functionality (ball v optical reflective v camera(?))
would behave equally on the same surface?

They are very different vintage and the now claims
to do 3 years on the pair of AA batterys supplied
so it is clearly a redesign and much better.

Logitech clearly keep redesigning stuff all the time,
you never can just buy another after the click fault
shows up.

I still use the mouse mat on the extremely daggy ex book
cover just because the extremely daggy ex book cover is
now so rough and doesn't work well for the mouse feet.

That's something I have noticed on
long-surviving mice, the feet wearing out.

I've only ever had that with one mouse, forget whose it was.
The Logitechs usually only last a few years until the click
fault shows up. Dunno why they don't redesign that bit.

I noticed this time that they have what they call a silent
mouse, guess I should try one of those to see if that one
has fixed the problem.

With any luck Pamela will burst a blood vessel or something
when she sees the extremely daggy ex book cover :-(

I replaced the M560 with the M705 because the left mouse
button on the M560 has done the usual multi clicks on a
single left mouse click which is what has happened to all
the logitech mice I have ever owned.

Oh? Something I need to watch out for
on the one I'm using here then (M720).

Not clear if its my use, I do play freecell pro when
'watching' recorded TV prigs on the PVR usually
for a couple of hours a day most days so maybe
I mouse click a lot more than most do. But those
microswitches have always been available on
ebay so its clear plenty do have that problem
and logitech never quibbles with a warranty
claim. but now mostly only have 1 year
warrantys. They used to have 7 year warrantys
on their top of the line mice, now only 3 years.

I used to get all those mice for free because
by the time that the button fails, its still in the
very long warranty and they can no longer
supply that mouse and so do a full refund.

Good customer service.

Yeah, that's why I stick with logitech. I even got
a new K800 keyboard out of warranty after the
third replacement of the original died. In that
case the keytop keeps coming off and often
cant be replaced after it has come off.

I gave up on Microsoft when the buggers wouldn't
replace the keyboard under warranty when the most
used letters had worn off. Not a problem with normal
typing since I am a touch typist but a pain in the arse
with long product keycodes when installing stuff.
Not that I do much of that anymore.

Didn't work out like that with the M560 tho, I stupidly
bought 2 at the same time with a 3 year warranty so
I could just reach for the other when the first one
failed, but obviously when the second one failed
it was well outside the warranty period.

Doh. Mind you, I have quite a few new things here I bought ready
for that next_on_the_list project that didn't turn out as hoped.

I try to test electronics I buy (more often online) at least to check
it works generally (not so easy on a multipin / function device like
an ESP32 micro controller but luckily they aren't too much money. ;-)

Yeah, I do have lots of stuff it takes a year or two to actually
get around to using after I buy it for an unusual project.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

Turnpike, is that still actually runnable?
I use Outlook Express and it needs some tweaks to make it run in windows
later than xp, but the problem is there is no client with the accessibility
and the ability to use identities to 'hide' other accounts any more that
also does news.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been very
flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.

Have things moved on? Is it my tackle? Is there a keyboard alternative to
check the operation?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Turnpike, is that still actually runnable?

I use Outlook Express and it needs some tweaks to make it run in windows
later than xp,

The previous version works fine in Win7.

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
For some time now, attempts to highlight unwanted text in newsgroup
replies etc. using *left click and scrolling* with a mouse have been very
flaky.
W7 pro and grubby mouse pad.

Have things moved on? Is it my tackle? Is there a keyboard alternative to
check the operation?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

Yep, Turnpike still works - but only under 32-bit Windows. I'm running
it successfully under Windows 10.

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Turnpike, is that still actually runnable?
I use Outlook Express and it needs some tweaks to make it run in windows
later than xp, but the problem is there is no client with the accessibility
and the ability to use identities to 'hide' other accounts any more that
also does news.
Brian

--
John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
pays off now." Anon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 May 2021 09:13:01 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 May 2021 09:13:01 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wi83kl8v..._2880.jpg?dl=0
so I had to use a proper mouse mat on that.

Interesting patination.

Yeah, not at all clear how that happened over time.

So was it originally completely plain or was that general colour
running across the middle already there?

I do have the dinner plate on it at dinner time
too, so presumably that's how it happened.

Fairly universal then? ;-) It's funny how many people adopt something
that might initially just come to hand and then use permanently. The
Mrs uses her mouse on a mat on a heap of books (that were already
there on a shelf by the arm of the chair where she sits) as that's
where we first tried it when I set it up for her years ago. It's just
'convenient and works so she carries on using it like that.

That over a few decades now.

I wonder if the publishers even envisage that use over that sort of
duration (and maybe the mouse mat manufacturers could learn
something). ;-)

Was that there originally

Nope. It was originally a thin recipe book, then that
half of the cover came off after about a decade.

See above.

or grown there over time?

That mouse wont track on the fleece on my chest in winter either.

I have a HP (branded?) wireless optical mouse I use via
a 4 way KVM switch when trying or setting up new stuff
and often use the mouse on the bed and that's fine.

Yeah the M560 tracks on all other cloth fine, and the T shirts
I wear all year round and the sweat top I wear in the cooler
weather, but for some reason not the massive great Aldi
fleeces I have about 5 of I wear in the winter.

Depth of the fibres then possibly? Most of the things you say it does
work on have 'a grain' or weave, I don't think the outside surface of
a fleece does? Or, I wonder if it's the fact that fleeces are made
from plastic (often re-cycled I believe) so may be transparent /
translucent (like fibre optics) and so confuse the detection system?

The replacement Logitech M705 tracks
fine on both without the mouse mat.

You would think the same make and general
functionality (ball v optical reflective v camera(?))
would behave equally on the same surface?

They are very different vintage and the now claims
to do 3 years on the pair of AA batterys supplied
so it is clearly a redesign and much better.

Funny you should say that. I was looking on my Logitech yesterday to
see what model it was and looked under the battery cover etc (in the
end it was just moulded into the plastic so didn't stand out
(literally and visually g). After putting the cover back on, it
stopped working. I KVM'd over to the other PC, wasn't working there
either, reset both the USB dongles, even powered both PC's off and
then back on again but nothing. I removed and re-seated the battery,
extended the spring contact at the +ve end a bit and pressed all the
buttons (especially the one that selects what channel it's on), still
nothing. It has lost contact previously and one of those things has
normally sorted it.

Then I measured the battery and it was down to 1V! Of all the times
that the battery might go flat ... ;-(

Logitech clearly keep redesigning stuff all the time,
you never can just buy another after the click fault
shows up.

Ok. I have both mouse and kbd here because they do seem to just work
and you can get fairly good reliability and functionality for a
reasonable (but not cheap) price (especially in their more basic
models).

I still use the mouse mat on the extremely daggy ex book
cover just because the extremely daggy ex book cover is
now so rough and doesn't work well for the mouse feet.

That's something I have noticed on
long-surviving mice, the feet wearing out.

I've only ever had that with one mouse, forget whose it was.

For me it was a MS branded corded mouse optical (probably Logitech)?

I have big hands so try to find big mice as they are more comfortable.
I don't think this M720 is a big as the MS mouse it replaced. ;-(

The Logitechs usually only last a few years until the click
fault shows up. Dunno why they don't redesign that bit.

As long as they last outside warranty, they can sell more. ;-)

I noticed this time that they have what they call a silent
mouse, guess I should try one of those to see if that one
has fixed the problem.

Only time would tell, unless they specifically state it deals with
that problem and I doubt they would do that.

snip

Oh? Something I need to watch out for
on the one I'm using here then (M720).

Not clear if its my use, I do play freecell pro when
'watching' recorded TV prigs on the PVR usually
for a couple of hours a day most days so maybe
I mouse click a lot more than most do.

I probably used mine more when regularly playing FPS with mates around
the world (I played Pariah and was in a 'Clan' g) but I'd say it's
generally still used quite a bit, especially in Sketchup and doing 3D
design.

But those
microswitches have always been available on
ebay

Oh, as a generic switch or something 'special' to those mice?

so its clear plenty do have that problem
and logitech never quibbles with a warranty
claim.

Given what they cost and what they probably cost to make, not a biggie
for them, certainly when compared to the bad publicity.

but now mostly only have 1 year
warrantys. They used to have 7 year warrantys
on their top of the line mice, now only 3 years.

I think TP-Link went that way with all (?) their stuff having a
lifetime warranty but now they have cut back on that quite a bit.

I noticed the new Leatherman 'Bond' carries a 25 year guarantee when I
think they used to be 'lifetime'?

https://www.leatherman.co.uk/product...tainless-steel

I wonder if they actually listened to me as they stopped doing the PST
(Personal Survival Tool) and then the PST II and nothing else seemed
to be suitable for an EDC here in the UK. Then the other day I got a
flyer from them re the Bond (I think my last email to them was that if
they brought the PST out again I'd buy one). ;-)

I do have a spare PST II, bought s/h off eBay in the States and bought
in the hope that if I had a spare, I'd never need it. ;-)

On the times I thought I had lost my Leatherman over the last few
years, daughter has bought me one as a present but as they didn't
really make anything that was suitable, the best she could get wasn't
really as good. She did get me one of the Tim Leatherman 'anniversary'
models when it was reduced but I only use that for best. ;-)

https://myoutdoors.co.uk/gear-news/a...ary-leatherman

snip

Good customer service.

Yeah, that's why I stick with logitech. I even got
a new K800 keyboard out of warranty after the
third replacement of the original died.

The only Co I have really used any warranty thing on is TP-Link and
they have been pretty good (new for old / upgrade etc).

In that
case the keytop keeps coming off and often
cant be replaced after it has come off.

Oh.

I gave up on Microsoft when the buggers wouldn't
replace the keyboard under warranty when the most
used letters had worn off.

That has happened here on this Logitech K270 so I bought some stick-on
key top letters and I'd have to say I'm impressed. I feared they would
slide about and come off but they haven't.

Not a problem with normal
typing since I am a touch typist

1 finger and thumb typing here. ;-(

but a pain in the arse
with long product keycodes when installing stuff.

I think part of the reason I never learned to touch type is because I
was rarely in front of the same keyboard and often (as a field support
tech) the keyboard was on the floor, on top of a cabinet, pile of kit
or on my knee (as it is now).

Not that I do much of that anymore.

No, nor me (now typing with a dog on my lap and holding the keyboard
in my left hand) as many of the people I used to look after now use
tablets and phones.

snip

I try to test electronics I buy (more often online) at least to check
it works generally (not so easy on a multipin / function device like
an ESP32 micro controller but luckily they aren't too much money. ;-)

Yeah, I do have lots of stuff it takes a year or two to actually
get around to using after I buy it for an unusual project.

When I go though my boxes of stuff (most of it is in Stanley storage
units [1]) looking for something it can be like Xmyth as I discover
all the goodies I have previously bought, for the S&G and fun and then
want to play with. ;-)

On that, Is there any support for the Raspberry Pi over there or do
you have a spare PC (or VM) you could run Home Assistant on? I know
you use Philips Hue and Alexa(?) but I thought you might like having a
look at HA as well?

Cheers, T i m

[1] I have most of them numbered and in a document on Google docs with
an overview of the content of each stored. So I can search the file
and it will give me any hits for that thing. What I want to do next
(with help from my new Brother label printer adding labels to the
inside of the lid) is also take and store a picture of the content of
each box so I don't need to input so much detail on the boxes
containing a greater mix of the smaller items.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Turnpike, is that still actually runnable?

This reply brought to you by Turnpike :-)

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wi83kl8v..._2880.jpg?dl=0
so I had to use a proper mouse mat on that.

Interesting patination.

Yeah, not at all clear how that happened over time.

On a closer look it appear that the original has come off and what
is there now was under that originally, particularly in the middle.

So was it originally completely plain

No, it was patterned, quite a small pattern.

or was that general colour running
across the middle already there?

That appears to be what was under the original pattern.

I do have the dinner plate on it at dinner time
too, so presumably that's how it happened.

Fairly universal then? ;-) It's funny how many people adopt something
that might initially just come to hand and then use permanently.

Yeah, tho that's the only thing that I can think of that I have done that
with.

I do have a few of those bigger colored kitchen cutting boards
that you can see the green one under that ex book cover but
they arent ideal in the summer with bare legs with shorts.

The Mrs uses her mouse on a mat on a heap of books (that were
already there on a shelf by the arm of the chair where she sits) as
that's where we first tried it when I set it up for her years ago. It's
just 'convenient and works so she carries on using it like that.

I have been looking for some form of stand for the keyboard
that I can do a few keystrokes on with my left hand when I don't
need to put the keyboard on that ex book cover to type stuff
like this post and have found some that clamp onto the arm
of a chair for the keyboard and mouse. Not ideal for me tho.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32907768187.html?

That over a few decades now.

I wonder if the publishers even envisage that use
over that sort of duration (and maybe the mouse
mat manufacturers could learn something). ;-)

Unlikely, think it was published before
computer mice had been invented :-(

Was that there originally

Nope. It was originally a thin recipe book, then that
half of the cover came off after about a decade.

See above.

or grown there over time?

That mouse wont track on the fleece on my chest in winter either.

I have a HP (branded?) wireless optical mouse I use via
a 4 way KVM switch when trying or setting up new stuff
and often use the mouse on the bed and that's fine.

Yeah the M560 tracks on all other cloth fine, and the T shirts
I wear all year round and the sweat top I wear in the cooler
weather, but for some reason not the massive great Aldi
fleeces I have about 5 of I wear in the winter.

Depth of the fibres then possibly?

Likely I spose. While its constant color, not patterned, the
fibers are much deeper than normal cloth or the sweat top.
Not just the color either I have dark brown and mid blue
fleeces and they both have the same bad result, not just
erratic tracking, the cursor doesn't move at all.

But that mouse does track fine on that green cutting
board that's under the ex book cover in the photo.

Most of the things you say it does work on have 'a grain' or
weave, I don't think the outside surface of a fleece does?

There is a clear pattern.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7u38bh1mn..._2882.jpg?dl=0

Or, I wonder if it's the fact that fleeces are made from plastic
(often re-cycled I believe) so may be transparent / translucent
(like fibre optics) and so confuse the detection system?

Yeah, could be that I insist on cotton for all except fleeces.

The replacement Logitech M705 tracks
fine on both without the mouse mat.

You would think the same make and general
functionality (ball v optical reflective v camera(?))
would behave equally on the same surface?

They are very different vintage and they now claims
[...]

Yeah, it clearly chose to shaft you when you perved at its inners.

Logitech clearly keep redesigning stuff all the time, you
never can just buy another after the click fault shows up.

Tho I noticed that the K800 keyboard has been around
for much longer than usual and still is available.

Ok. I have both mouse and kbd here because they do
seem to just work and you can get fairly good reliability
and functionality for a reasonable (but not cheap) price
(especially in their more basic models).

Yeah, I have stopped buying their top of the line mice,
stupid prices. I still buy the K800 keyboard because its
the only way I can get keys that don't wear off, it's a backlit
keyboard with proper double injection moulded two types
of plastic with a led inside which doesn't wear out the letters.
The backlight is handy too, I do a lot of computing at night.

I still use the mouse mat on the extremely daggy ex book
cover just because the extremely daggy ex book cover is
now so rough and doesn't work well for the mouse feet.

That's something I have noticed on
long-surviving mice, the feet wearing out.

I've only ever had that with one mouse, forget whose it was.

For me it was a MS branded corded mouse optical (probably Logitech)?

I do have a corded Microsoft Intellimouse optical which is still fine.
That is what I was using before changing to cordless mice so it
only got used for a couple of years.

I have big hands so try to find big mice as they are more comfortable.
I don't think this M720 is a big as the MS mouse it replaced. ;-(

The Logitechs usually only last a few years until the click
fault shows up. Dunno why they don't redesign that bit.

As long as they last outside warranty, they can sell more. ;-)

Yeah, but they never do except with the cheapest with 1 year warrantys now.

I noticed this time that they have what they call a silent
mouse, guess I should try one of those to see if that one
has fixed the problem.

Only time would tell, unless they specifically state it
deals with that problem and I doubt they would do that.

No they don't and they never admit it's a known problem
when you do a warranty claim, just don't quibble at all.

Oh? Something I need to watch out for
on the one I'm using here then (M720).

Not clear if its my use, I do play freecell pro when
'watching' recorded TV prigs on the PVR usually
for a couple of hours a day most days so maybe
I mouse click a lot more than most do.

I probably used mine more when regularly playing FPS with mates around
the world (I played Pariah and was in a 'Clan' g) but I'd say it's
generally still used quite a bit, especially in Sketchup and doing 3D
design.

But those microswitches have always been available on ebay

Oh, as a generic switch

Yep. Not made by logitech either.

or something 'special' to those mice?

Nope.

so its clear plenty do have that problem and
logitech never quibbles with a warranty claim.

Given what they cost and what they probably cost to make, not
a biggie for them, certainly when compared to the bad publicity.

Yeah, they don't seem to care about the publicity.

[...]

I learn to touch type in school when my dad brought back
a course on records from a trip to the USA. No one could
read my writing in school.

[...]

Yeah, I have a proper Access database.

So I can search the file and it will give me any hits for that thing.
What I want to do next (with help from my new Brother label
printer adding labels to the inside of the lid) is also take and
store a picture of the content of each box so I don't need to
input so much detail on the boxes containing a greater mix
of the smaller items.

Yeah, must do that myself. I mostly use those big square
plastic mini sets of drawers that are intended for storing
paper in. I get them for peanuts at garage sales.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ack-owdd105pbk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2021 04:47:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two demented senile dimwits latest senile bull**** unread

BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2021 04:47:20 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

It's funny how many people adopt something
that might initially just come to hand and then use permanently.

Yeah, tho that's the only thing that I can think of that I have done that
with.

What about various containers, ex food pots etc?

I do have a few of those bigger colored kitchen cutting boards
that you can see the green one under that ex book cover but
they arent ideal in the summer with bare legs with shorts.

No, I bet not. I have used those (the nylonny ones) for all sorts of
things where I want a stiff but flexible material. The last time was a
backing plate on a dinghy trailer. ;-)

The Mrs uses her mouse on a mat on a heap of books (that were
already there on a shelf by the arm of the chair where she sits) as
that's where we first tried it when I set it up for her years ago. It's
just 'convenient and works so she carries on using it like that.

I have been looking for some form of stand for the keyboard
that I can do a few keystrokes on with my left hand when I don't
need to put the keyboard on that ex book cover to type stuff
like this post and have found some that clamp onto the arm
of a chair for the keyboard and mouse. Not ideal for me tho.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32907768187.html?

Yeah, the problem with that sort of thing is that they move. Ok that
you can move them into place but once in place they sorta need to be
solid.

snip

Unlikely, think it was published before
computer mice had been invented :-(

;-)

snip

Depth of the fibres then possibly?

Likely I spose. While its constant color, not patterned, the
fibers are much deeper than normal cloth or the sweat top.

That's what I was thinking, 'depth' of the surface etc.

Not just the color either I have dark brown and mid blue
fleeces and they both have the same bad result, not just
erratic tracking, the cursor doesn't move at all.

You would think they would do *something*?

But that mouse does track fine on that green cutting
board that's under the ex book cover in the photo.

Mine doesn't like front of a CD. ;-)

Most of the things you say it does work on have 'a grain' or
weave, I don't think the outside surface of a fleece does?

There is a clear pattern.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7u38bh1mn..._2882.jpg?dl=0

Yeah, a fairly deep 'pile'.

Or, I wonder if it's the fact that fleeces are made from plastic
(often re-cycled I believe) so may be transparent / translucent
(like fibre optics) and so confuse the detection system?

Yeah, could be that I insist on cotton for all except fleeces.

What about a micro fleece OOI? I have some Stanley branded uFleece
tops that are much finer? My M720 works fine on mine.

snip

Then I measured the battery and it was down to 1V!
Of all the times that the battery might go flat ... ;-(

Yeah, it clearly chose to shaft you when you perved at its inners.

I think you are right!

Logitech clearly keep redesigning stuff all the time, you
never can just buy another after the click fault shows up.

Tho I noticed that the K800 keyboard has been around
for much longer than usual and still is available.

That *is* unusual as they often seem to stop making the good stuff.
;-(

snip

Yeah, I have stopped buying their top of the line mice,
stupid prices. I still buy the K800 keyboard because its
the only way I can get keys that don't wear off, it's a backlit
keyboard with proper double injection moulded two types
of plastic with a led inside which doesn't wear out the letters.

I think I was pointed toward a 'two part' (injection moulded) key top
as that meant the characters went right though the plastic, like the
letters on a stick of rock.

The backlight is handy too, I do a lot of computing at night.

Is that still cordless and what sort of battery life do you get out of
it?

snip

For me it was a MS branded corded mouse optical (probably Logitech)?

I do have a corded Microsoft Intellimouse optical which is still fine.

That was it, 'Intellimouse'.

That is what I was using before changing to cordless mice so it
only got used for a couple of years.

I have often repaired the cord if the mouse is still generally ok
(often by shortening it) but the feet had also gone on mine so it was
a bit too far gone.

snip

Only time would tell, unless they specifically state it
deals with that problem and I doubt they would do that.

No they don't and they never admit it's a known problem
when you do a warranty claim, just don't quibble at all.

I wonder if then it IS cheaper for them to do that rather than get the
bad 'they all do that and they still haven't fixed it' press? If you
get a new / free one you are less likely to blog about it negatively
etc (possibly the exact opposite). They still go wrong but give you a
new one (where other makes may not go wrong in the same timescale
etc)?

snip

But those microswitches have always been available on ebay

Oh, as a generic switch

Yep. Not made by logitech either.

or something 'special' to those mice?

Nope.

That's good then as the chances are they would be cheaper.

so its clear plenty do have that problem and
logitech never quibbles with a warranty claim.

Given what they cost and what they probably cost to make, not
a biggie for them, certainly when compared to the bad publicity.

Yeah, they don't seem to care about the publicity.

I guess it's all down to the numbers (and what others you could get)?

snip

I think part of the reason I never learned to touch type is because
I was rarely in front of the same keyboard and often (as a field
support tech) the keyboard was on the floor, on top of a cabinet,
pile of kit or on my knee (as it is now).

I learn to touch type in school when my dad brought back
a course on records from a trip to the USA.

What, an 'audio course' in vinyl format (rather than on cassette or CD
etc)?

No one could
read my writing in school.

You should have been a doctor then. ;-)

snip

[1] I have most of them numbered and in a document on
Google docs with an overview of the content of each stored.

Yeah, I have a proper Access database.

I did look briefly for a simple app but didn't find one at the time.

So I can search the file and it will give me any hits for that thing.
What I want to do next (with help from my new Brother label
printer adding labels to the inside of the lid) is also take and
store a picture of the content of each box so I don't need to
input so much detail on the boxes containing a greater mix
of the smaller items.

Yeah, must do that myself. I mostly use those big square
plastic mini sets of drawers that are intended for storing
paper in. I get them for peanuts at garage sales.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ack-owdd105pbk

They are a good idea (for small bits) as they are quite shallow so you
don't have to dig about for stuff. I bought some (2 x 6 drawer sets)
larger but not-so-deep draws that will take stuff like my hot glue
gun, DMM's or 3D printer spares and slowly sorting stuff into those. I
need to try to only use those for things I use regularly and leave the
less regularly accessed stuff for less easy access storage.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It's funny how many people adopt something that might
initially just come to hand and then use permanently.

Yeah, tho that's the only thing that I can
think of that I have done that with.

What about various containers, ex food pots etc?

Yeah, remember now that I do that with the beer bottling.
I sit the brewing barrel on a very solid wheeled single
column table with what used be the rectangular plastic
mop bucket under the tap on the barrel that you put
the bottle filler into. The bucket catches the drips that
almost all of the bottle fillers have between bottles.
that part of the table foot isnt deep enough for the
mop bucket to sit horizontal so I put one of the
square microwavable food containers under it
past where the table foot stops.

I do have a few of those bigger colored kitchen cutting boards
that you can see the green one under that ex book cover but
they arent ideal in the summer with bare legs with shorts.

No, I bet not. I have used those (the nylonny ones) for all
sorts of things where I want a stiff but flexible material.
The last time was a backing plate on a dinghy trailer. ;-)

Come to think of it I should do that with the letterbox.

[...]

Yeah, that certainly odd.

But that mouse does track fine on that green cutting
board that's under the ex book cover in the photo.

Mine doesn't like front of a CD. ;-)

Most of the things you say it does work on have 'a grain' or
weave, I don't think the outside surface of a fleece does?

There is a clear pattern.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7u38bh1mn..._2882.jpg?dl=0

Yeah, a fairly deep 'pile'.

Or, I wonder if it's the fact that fleeces are made from plastic
(often re-cycled I believe) so may be transparent / translucent
(like fibre optics) and so confuse the detection system?

Yeah, could be that I insist on cotton for all except fleeces.

What about a micro fleece OOI?

Not warm enough. I wear 2 fleeces in the depth of winter.

Just ordered a heated motorbike top from bangood so maybe not this winter.

I have some Stanley branded uFleece tops that
are much finer? My M720 works fine on mine.

The new M705 works fine and on the grotty ex book cover too.
I will continue to use the mouse pad on the ex book cover tho
because the ex book cover is too rough for the mouse feet to
glide smoothly over. Must glue it on.

Just ordered one of the silent mice too, it will be interesting
to see if that microswitch dies eventually too. M590.

Yeah, I have stopped buying their top of the line mice,
stupid prices. I still buy the K800 keyboard because its
the only way I can get keys that don't wear off, it's a backlit
keyboard with proper double injection moulded two types
of plastic with a led inside which doesn't wear out the letters.

I think I was pointed toward a 'two part' (injection moulded)
key top as that meant the characters went right though the
plastic, like the letters on a stick of rock.

Yeah, that's what it has, with the letters transparent plastic
so the led inside shines thru.

The backlight is handy too, I do a lot of computing at night.

Is that still cordless

Yep.

and what sort of battery life do you get out of it?

Its rechargeable and gets charged every couple of weeks.

It only turns the backlighting on when your hand is detected.

For me it was a MS branded corded mouse optical (probably Logitech)?

I do have a corded Microsoft Intellimouse optical which is still fine.

That was it, 'Intellimouse'.

That is what I was using before changing to cordless
mice so it only got used for a couple of years.

I have often repaired the cord if the mouse is still generally ok
(often by shortening it) but the feet had also gone on mine so it was
a bit too far gone.

Yeah used to have to do that before moving to cordless in 2003

Only time would tell, unless they specifically state it
deals with that problem and I doubt they would do that.

No they don't and they never admit it's a known problem
when you do a warranty claim, just don't quibble at all.

I wonder if then it IS cheaper for them to do that rather than
get the bad 'they all do that and they still haven't fixed it' press?
If you get a new / free one you are less likely to blog about it
negatively etc (possibly the exact opposite). They still go wrong
but give you a new one (where other makes may not go wrong
in the same timescale etc)?

Yeah, I never did see if microsoft mice lasted better.

It will be interesting to see how the silent mouse does.

[...]

Yep, big LP records, forget how many but certainly more than one.

No one could read my writing in school.

You should have been a doctor then. ;-)

That was suggested but didn't grab me.

Like I said to my dad decades later, if you **** up
a computer its no big deal. Wouldn't like to kill
someones kid when I ****ed up. One of our GPs
managed to kill a mate of mine. He had the same
problem as the GPs wife and he missed that with
my mate anyway.

[1] I have most of them numbered and in a document on
Google docs with an overview of the content of each stored.

Yeah, I have a proper Access database.

I did look briefly for a simple app but didn't find one at the time.

I was into proper databases so no big deal for that too.

So I can search the file and it will give me any hits for that thing.
What I want to do next (with help from my new Brother label
printer adding labels to the inside of the lid) is also take and
store a picture of the content of each box so I don't need to
input so much detail on the boxes containing a greater mix
of the smaller items.

Yeah, must do that myself. I mostly use those big square
plastic mini sets of drawers that are intended for storing
paper in. I get them for peanuts at garage sales.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ack-owdd105pbk

They are a good idea (for small bits) as they are quite
shallow so you don't have to dig about for stuff.

They do double depth too, handy for stuff like mice.

I bought some (2 x 6 drawer sets) larger but not-so-deep
draws that will take stuff like my hot glue gun, DMM's or
3D printer spares and slowly sorting stuff into those.

Yeah, I have some of these much bigger ones too.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/233723773303

I used to have a massive great metal chest of about 200
drawers used to store computer punched cards at work.
Kick myself that I didn't go to the auction when they
wound that up and bought that. That thing was over
head high and the drawers are ideal depth. Cant seem
to find any at the used furniture retailers but they don't
usually have a lot of that sort of stuff listed online.

Mate of mine had a big plan drawer cabinet.

I need to try to only use those for things I use regularly and leave
the less regularly accessed stuff for less easy access storage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2021 08:52:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, remember now that I do that with the beer bottling.
I sit the brewing barrel on a very solid wheeled single

Oh, ****! Yet more of the usual senile crap!

FLUSH

--
Bill Wright to Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In article , John Hall
on Sun, 16 May 2021 at 09:23:36 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Yep, Turnpike still works - but only under 32-bit Windows. I'm running
it successfully under Windows 10.

This message is brought to you under Turnpike ver 5.02M on 64-bit
Windows 7. I cannot speak for 64-bit Windows 10.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 12:19:03, Nicholas D. Richards
wrote (my responses usually follow points
raised):
In article , John Hall
on Sun, 16 May 2021 at 09:23:36 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Yep, Turnpike still works - but only under 32-bit Windows. I'm running
it successfully under Windows 10.

This message is brought to you under Turnpike ver 5.02M on 64-bit
Windows 7. I cannot speak for 64-bit Windows 10.

Yes, TP 6 - with its shell extension - only works on 32-bit (7 and
later). [Though I believe the Connect part may run under 64-bit.] TP5
apparently works on 64-bit, 7 at least.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
on Wed, 26 May 2021 at 13:34:52 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 12:19:03, Nicholas D. Richards
wrote (my responses usually follow points
raised):
In article , John Hall
on Sun, 16 May 2021 at 09:23:36 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Yep, Turnpike still works - but only under 32-bit Windows. I'm running
it successfully under Windows 10.

This message is brought to you under Turnpike ver 5.02M on 64-bit
Windows 7. I cannot speak for 64-bit Windows 10.

Yes, TP 6 - with its shell extension - only works on 32-bit (7 and
later). [Though I believe the Connect part may run under 64-bit.] TP5
apparently works on 64-bit, 7 at least.

Ah yes the Shell Extension. I could never get on with it and is why I
reverted to TP 6 and that was before I converted to Windows 7, just was
glad to discover that it was a wise (20/20 hindsight) move. There is
just a small wrinkle; when you connect on the Connect Application you
get an error 'incorrect structure size' while finding connection
details. The advice from the rump of the Turnpike Team was that this
message could be OK'ed and ignored.

I have been running like that for maybe 10 years.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,demon.ip.support.turnpike

In message , Nicholas D. Richards
writes
In article , John Hall
on Sun, 16 May 2021 at 09:23:36 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Yep, Turnpike still works - but only under 32-bit Windows. I'm running
it successfully under Windows 10.

This message is brought to you under Turnpike ver 5.02M on 64-bit
Windows 7. I cannot speak for 64-bit Windows 10.

Yes, I should have specified that what I wrote was only applicable to
version 6.