Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Turnpike

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It's funny how many people adopt something that might
initially just come to hand and then use permanently.

Yeah, tho that's the only thing that I can
think of that I have done that with.

What about various containers, ex food pots etc?

Yeah, remember now that I do that with the beer bottling.
I sit the brewing barrel on a very solid wheeled single
column table with what used be the rectangular plastic
mop bucket under the tap on the barrel that you put
the bottle filler into. The bucket catches the drips that
almost all of the bottle fillers have between bottles.
that part of the table foot isnt deep enough for the
mop bucket to sit horizontal so I put one of the
square microwavable food containers under it
past where the table foot stops.

I do have a few of those bigger colored kitchen cutting boards
that you can see the green one under that ex book cover but
they arent ideal in the summer with bare legs with shorts.

No, I bet not. I have used those (the nylonny ones) for all
sorts of things where I want a stiff but flexible material.
The last time was a backing plate on a dinghy trailer. ;-)

Come to think of it I should do that with the letterbox.

The Mrs uses her mouse on a mat on a heap of books (that were
already there on a shelf by the arm of the chair where she sits) as
that's where we first tried it when I set it up for her years ago. It's
just 'convenient and works so she carries on using it like that.

I have been looking for some form of stand for the keyboard
that I can do a few keystrokes on with my left hand when I don't
need to put the keyboard on that ex book cover to type stuff
like this post and have found some that clamp onto the arm
of a chair for the keyboard and mouse. Not ideal for me tho.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32907768187.html?

Yeah, the problem with that sort of thing is that they move.
Ok that you can move them into place but once in place
they sorta need to be solid.

Depth of the fibres then possibly?

Likely I spose. While its constant color, not patterned, the
fibers are much deeper than normal cloth or the sweat top.

That's what I was thinking, 'depth' of the surface etc.

Not just the color either I have dark brown and mid blue
fleeces and they both have the same bad result, not just
erratic tracking, the cursor doesn't move at all.

You would think they would do *something*?

Yeah, that certainly odd.

But that mouse does track fine on that green cutting
board that's under the ex book cover in the photo.

Mine doesn't like front of a CD. ;-)

Most of the things you say it does work on have 'a grain' or
weave, I don't think the outside surface of a fleece does?

There is a clear pattern.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7u38bh1mn..._2882.jpg?dl=0

Yeah, a fairly deep 'pile'.

Or, I wonder if it's the fact that fleeces are made from plastic
(often re-cycled I believe) so may be transparent / translucent
(like fibre optics) and so confuse the detection system?

Yeah, could be that I insist on cotton for all except fleeces.

What about a micro fleece OOI?

Not warm enough. I wear 2 fleeces in the depth of winter.

Just ordered a heated motorbike top from bangood so maybe not this winter.

I have some Stanley branded uFleece tops that
are much finer? My M720 works fine on mine.

The new M705 works fine and on the grotty ex book cover too.
I will continue to use the mouse pad on the ex book cover tho
because the ex book cover is too rough for the mouse feet to
glide smoothly over. Must glue it on.

Just ordered one of the silent mice too, it will be interesting
to see if that microswitch dies eventually too. M590.

Yeah, I have stopped buying their top of the line mice,
stupid prices. I still buy the K800 keyboard because its
the only way I can get keys that don't wear off, it's a backlit
keyboard with proper double injection moulded two types
of plastic with a led inside which doesn't wear out the letters.

I think I was pointed toward a 'two part' (injection moulded)
key top as that meant the characters went right though the
plastic, like the letters on a stick of rock.

Yeah, that's what it has, with the letters transparent plastic
so the led inside shines thru.

The backlight is handy too, I do a lot of computing at night.

Is that still cordless

Yep.

and what sort of battery life do you get out of it?

Its rechargeable and gets charged every couple of weeks.

It only turns the backlighting on when your hand is detected.

For me it was a MS branded corded mouse optical (probably Logitech)?

I do have a corded Microsoft Intellimouse optical which is still fine.

That was it, 'Intellimouse'.

That is what I was using before changing to cordless
mice so it only got used for a couple of years.

I have often repaired the cord if the mouse is still generally ok
(often by shortening it) but the feet had also gone on mine so it was
a bit too far gone.

Yeah used to have to do that before moving to cordless in 2003

Only time would tell, unless they specifically state it
deals with that problem and I doubt they would do that.

No they don't and they never admit it's a known problem
when you do a warranty claim, just don't quibble at all.

I wonder if then it IS cheaper for them to do that rather than
get the bad 'they all do that and they still haven't fixed it' press?
If you get a new / free one you are less likely to blog about it
negatively etc (possibly the exact opposite). They still go wrong
but give you a new one (where other makes may not go wrong
in the same timescale etc)?

Yeah, I never did see if microsoft mice lasted better.

It will be interesting to see how the silent mouse does.

But those microswitches have always been available on ebay

Oh, as a generic switch

Yep. Not made by logitech either.

or something 'special' to those mice?

Nope.

That's good then as the chances are they would be cheaper.

so its clear plenty do have that problem and
logitech never quibbles with a warranty claim.

Given what they cost and what they probably cost to make, not
a biggie for them, certainly when compared to the bad publicity.

Yeah, they don't seem to care about the publicity.

I guess it's all down to the numbers (and what others you could get)?

snip

I think part of the reason I never learned to touch type is because
I was rarely in front of the same keyboard and often (as a field
support tech) the keyboard was on the floor, on top of a cabinet,
pile of kit or on my knee (as it is now).

I learn to touch type in school when my dad brought back
a course on records from a trip to the USA.

What, an 'audio course' in vinyl format (rather than on cassette or CD
etc)?

Yep, big LP records, forget how many but certainly more than one.

No one could read my writing in school.

You should have been a doctor then. ;-)

That was suggested but didn't grab me.

Like I said to my dad decades later, if you **** up
a computer its no big deal. Wouldn't like to kill
someones kid when I ****ed up. One of our GPs
managed to kill a mate of mine. He had the same
problem as the GPs wife and he missed that with
my mate anyway.

[1] I have most of them numbered and in a document on
Google docs with an overview of the content of each stored.

Yeah, I have a proper Access database.

I did look briefly for a simple app but didn't find one at the time.

I was into proper databases so no big deal for that too.

So I can search the file and it will give me any hits for that thing.
What I want to do next (with help from my new Brother label
printer adding labels to the inside of the lid) is also take and
store a picture of the content of each box so I don't need to
input so much detail on the boxes containing a greater mix
of the smaller items.

Yeah, must do that myself. I mostly use those big square
plastic mini sets of drawers that are intended for storing
paper in. I get them for peanuts at garage sales.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ack-owdd105pbk

They are a good idea (for small bits) as they are quite
shallow so you don't have to dig about for stuff.

They do double depth too, handy for stuff like mice.

I bought some (2 x 6 drawer sets) larger but not-so-deep
draws that will take stuff like my hot glue gun, DMM's or
3D printer spares and slowly sorting stuff into those.

Yeah, I have some of these much bigger ones too.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/233723773303

I used to have a massive great metal chest of about 200
drawers used to store computer punched cards at work.
Kick myself that I didn't go to the auction when they
wound that up and bought that. That thing was over
head high and the drawers are ideal depth. Cant seem
to find any at the used furniture retailers but they don't
usually have a lot of that sort of stuff listed online.

Mate of mine had a big plan drawer cabinet.

I need to try to only use those for things I use regularly and leave
the less regularly accessed stuff for less easy access storage.