Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Turnpike

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote
John Hall wrote

Maybe the mouse is slipping on the pad? You could
try cleaning the mat and the underside of the mouse, as
grease tends to build up. You could even try dispensing
with a mat, if the top of your desk isn't too shiny.

I once bought a 'proper'(?) optical mouse mat and the Apple
mouse wouldn't work on it at all and my Logitech optical
mouse was far less accurate on that than on my leg! ;-(

I got the reverse effect with my Logitech M560. Wouldn't work
at all on my now extremely daggy ex book cover that I use to
run the mouse on with the cover on my lap in the big arm chair
with my feet up on the footstool that I do all my computing from.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wi83kl8v..._2880.jpg?dl=0
so I had to use a proper mouse mat on that.

Interesting patination.

Yeah, not at all clear how that happened over time.

I do have the dinner plate on it at dinner time
too, so presumably that's how it happened.

That over a few decades now.

Was that there originally

Nope. It was originally a thin recipe book, then that
half of the cover came off after about a decade.

or grown there over time?

That mouse wont track on the fleece on my chest in winter either.

I have a HP (branded?) wireless optical mouse I use via
a 4 way KVM switch when trying or setting up new stuff
and often use the mouse on the bed and that's fine.

Yeah the M560 tracks on all other cloth fine, and the T shirts
I wear all year round and the sweat top I wear in the cooler
weather, but for some reason not the massive great Aldi
fleeces I have about 5 of I wear in the winter.

The replacement Logitech M705 tracks
fine on both without the mouse mat.

You would think the same make and general
functionality (ball v optical reflective v camera(?))
would behave equally on the same surface?

They are very different vintage and the now claims
to do 3 years on the pair of AA batterys supplied
so it is clearly a redesign and much better.

Logitech clearly keep redesigning stuff all the time,
you never can just buy another after the click fault
shows up.

I still use the mouse mat on the extremely daggy ex book
cover just because the extremely daggy ex book cover is
now so rough and doesn't work well for the mouse feet.

That's something I have noticed on
long-surviving mice, the feet wearing out.

I've only ever had that with one mouse, forget whose it was.
The Logitechs usually only last a few years until the click
fault shows up. Dunno why they don't redesign that bit.

I noticed this time that they have what they call a silent
mouse, guess I should try one of those to see if that one
has fixed the problem.

With any luck Pamela will burst a blood vessel or something
when she sees the extremely daggy ex book cover :-(

I replaced the M560 with the M705 because the left mouse
button on the M560 has done the usual multi clicks on a
single left mouse click which is what has happened to all
the logitech mice I have ever owned.

Oh? Something I need to watch out for
on the one I'm using here then (M720).

Not clear if its my use, I do play freecell pro when
'watching' recorded TV prigs on the PVR usually
for a couple of hours a day most days so maybe
I mouse click a lot more than most do. But those
microswitches have always been available on
ebay so its clear plenty do have that problem
and logitech never quibbles with a warranty
claim. but now mostly only have 1 year
warrantys. They used to have 7 year warrantys
on their top of the line mice, now only 3 years.

I used to get all those mice for free because
by the time that the button fails, its still in the
very long warranty and they can no longer
supply that mouse and so do a full refund.

Good customer service.

Yeah, that's why I stick with logitech. I even got
a new K800 keyboard out of warranty after the
third replacement of the original died. In that
case the keytop keeps coming off and often
cant be replaced after it has come off.

I gave up on Microsoft when the buggers wouldn't
replace the keyboard under warranty when the most
used letters had worn off. Not a problem with normal
typing since I am a touch typist but a pain in the arse
with long product keycodes when installing stuff.
Not that I do much of that anymore.

Didn't work out like that with the M560 tho, I stupidly
bought 2 at the same time with a 3 year warranty so
I could just reach for the other when the first one
failed, but obviously when the second one failed
it was well outside the warranty period.

Doh. Mind you, I have quite a few new things here I bought ready
for that next_on_the_list project that didn't turn out as hoped.

I try to test electronics I buy (more often online) at least to check
it works generally (not so easy on a multipin / function device like
an ESP32 micro controller but luckily they aren't too much money. ;-)

Yeah, I do have lots of stuff it takes a year or two to actually
get around to using after I buy it for an unusual project.