Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Best way to fix broken step?

The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

These steps are in constant use, so I need a repair that can be done
quite quickly, without stopping people using the steps completely.

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

https://imgur.com/5kX6ncK

https://imgur.com/7u2lOPr
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

These steps are in constant use, so I need a repair that can be done
quite quickly, without stopping people using the steps completely.

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

https://imgur.com/5kX6ncK

https://imgur.com/7u2lOPr

possibly???

a. cut slab at back
b. turn through 180 degrees
c. drill the bit of slab under the step above and the broken end of the
slab to take stainless steel rod or screws to guard against tipping
d. fill holes with resin (or car body filler) and relay slab
e. fill hole where bit broke off (or point in the bit that broke off if
you have it)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

Have you got the broken off bit?

If so, a quick fix would be to drill a couple of 12mm holes into the end
of the slab, and matching ones into the broken bit, then use some
concrete anchor resin[1] and some 8mm to 10mm threaded rod as a splint -
setting the rod into pockets of resin as well as using it to "glue" the
full area of the break. (over fill a bit, push tight and scrape off any
excess.

[1] I have found this very effective@

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-f...in-300ml/3613x

On a warm day it will set in 15 mins.

These steps are in constant use, so I need a repair that can be done
quite quickly, without stopping people using the steps completely.

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk
https://imgur.com/5kX6ncK
https://imgur.com/7u2lOPr

If you have not got the broken bit, then:

use a s SDS to break out the mortar at the back of the step under the
step above. Rake out the mortar "grouting" and lift the slab.

If there is a solid bead of mortar under it, then flip it round 180, and
resin bond it to the base. If the base is not that good, chip it out
with the SDS and relay the slab on a fresh strong mortar mix with some
SBR additive. Then point it all back in again with a dryish strong
mortar mix. The broken edge now being hidden under the step above.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

These steps are in constant use, so I need a repair that can be done
quite quickly, without stopping people using the steps completely.

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

https://imgur.com/5kX6ncK

https://imgur.com/7u2lOPr

I would leave it as is and invite the mother in law around for a BBQ and
a glass of wine before letting her use the steps.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 18:11, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

Have you got the broken off bit?

If so, a quick fix would be to drill a couple of 12mm holes into the end
of the slab, and matching ones into the broken bit, then use some
concrete anchor resin[1] and some 8mm to 10mm threaded rod as a splint -
setting the rod into pockets of resin as well as using it to "glue" the
full area of the break. (over fill a bit, push tight and scrape off any
excess.

That would be my approach too. It looks as though there is next to no
"overhang", so no significant bending moment on the joint.

In the absence of the missing bit, you could "square up" the failed area
over the full slab width and let in a suitably cut portion, dowelling it
in the same way. You might also let in a couple of vertical dowels in
the brick, there is obviously a bit of a compromise with clearance
somewhere to permit assembly.

Do most of the cut with an angle grinder for speed, finishing up the
bits you can't do without damaging other slabs with a multi-tool

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:51, Robin wrote:

a.Â*Â*Â* cut slab at back
b.Â*Â*Â* turn through 180 degrees
c.Â*Â*Â* drill the bit of slab under the step above and the broken end of
the slab to take stainless steel rod or screws to guard against tipping
d.Â*Â*Â* fill holes with resin (or car body filler) and relay slab
e.Â*Â*Â* fill hole where bit broke off (or point in the bit that broke off
if you have it)

Car body filler works well as a "glue". After some advice on this group
I experimented with fixing a broken concrete slab with car body filler

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Glue_slab/

The last picture shows the slab clamped to the arm of a garden bench
with 4 house bricks on the over-hang being supported by the car body
filler fillet.

The strength of the bond was however reliant on the surface of the break
being sound concrete and with no flakiness at the joined edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
[...]

Hi again.

I don't have the old bit any more. I fear that my skills are not up to
getting the old slab out in one piece. I'd need to get someone in.

Am I likely to have any success filling it with repair concrete?

Maybe:

https://www.diy.com/departments/u-ca.../258544_BQ.prd

Or Arcon do a range of products:

https://www.arconsupplies.co.uk/uses...or-stone-steps

I found some red mortar dye, so it might not look too bad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
[...]

I think you would need some support splints - so drilling holes and
setting in some threaded rod, that you can then form the new bit around
the ends of.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
[...]

I expect they would work. Not cheap, but you don't need much volume.
Maybe do a trial run to decide the amount of dye. Remember though that
when filling a worn step the repair will be in compression when stood
on. With an overhanging slab the top of the "crack" may be in tension
some time. Adding one or two "dowels" as described (length of studing
glued into hole in existing slab and protruding into cast repair) should
help. Or you could let in a bit of steel plate into the mortar course
below the slab, extending out to help support the new bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2021 14:59, GB wrote:

Maybe:

https://www.diy.com/departments/u-ca.../258544_BQ.prd

You will need to make a U shape former from wood and wedge the 2 sides
of this former in the gaps between the adjacent slabs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

These steps are in constant use, so I need a repair that can be done
quite quickly, without stopping people using the steps completely.

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

Pressing NEXT twice in this photo shows Adams weekend roast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

These steps are in constant use, so I need a repair that can be done
quite quickly, without stopping people using the steps completely.

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

https://imgur.com/5kX6ncK

https://imgur.com/7u2lOPr

possibly???

a.Â*Â*Â* cut slab at back
b.Â*Â*Â* turn through 180 degrees

I would do option b) if I could not find another matching paving stone
on the property that could be swapped for this busted one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

These steps are in constant use, so I need a repair that can be done
quite quickly, without stopping people using the steps completely.

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

Pressing NEXT twice in this photo shows Adams weekend roast.

Interesting look at how cats jump. It appears to have a problem getting a
grip on the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?

"Rod Speed is an entirely modern phenomenon. Essentially, Rod Speed
man" on the InterNet."

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

1) Remove the pointing mortar (stitch drill, angle grinder...).
2) Remove the piece.
3) Clean it.
4) Turn it around and put it back.
5) Replace the pointing with that something that goes off fast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

Did my reply get through? Basically, remove the pointing (drill, angle
grinder...), get it out, turn it around, put it back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2021 15:48, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

Did my reply get through? Basically, remove the pointing (drill, angle
grinder...), get it out, turn it around, put it back.

OIC. These 'ere newfangled newsgroups move in mysterious ways...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk

Did my reply get through? Basically, remove the pointing (drill, angle
grinder...), get it out, turn it around, put it back.

OIC. These 'ere newfangled newsgroups move in mysterious ways...

I can see all three posts with a minute or two between them.

aioe disconnected me a few times on the weekend saying 'connection
reset'.

I just power cycled my BT smarthub and got a new IP address
and now its all ok again.