Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Best way to fix broken step?

On 07/05/2021 18:11, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

Have you got the broken off bit?

If so, a quick fix would be to drill a couple of 12mm holes into the end
of the slab, and matching ones into the broken bit, then use some
concrete anchor resin[1] and some 8mm to 10mm threaded rod as a splint -
setting the rod into pockets of resin as well as using it to "glue" the
full area of the break. (over fill a bit, push tight and scrape off any
excess.

[1] I have found this very effective@

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-f...in-300ml/3613x

On a warm day it will set in 15 mins.

These steps are in constant use, so I need a repair that can be done
quite quickly, without stopping people using the steps completely.

https://imgur.com/zhpZwFk
https://imgur.com/5kX6ncK
https://imgur.com/7u2lOPr

If you have not got the broken bit, then:

use a s SDS to break out the mortar at the back of the step under the
step above. Rake out the mortar "grouting" and lift the slab.

If there is a solid bead of mortar under it, then flip it round 180, and
resin bond it to the base. If the base is not that good, chip it out
with the SDS and relay the slab on a fresh strong mortar mix with some
SBR additive. Then point it all back in again with a dryish strong
mortar mix. The broken edge now being hidden under the step above.

Hi again.

I don't have the old bit any more. I fear that my skills are not up to
getting the old slab out in one piece. I'd need to get someone in.

Am I likely to have any success filling it with repair concrete?

Maybe:

https://www.diy.com/departments/u-ca.../258544_BQ.prd

Or Arcon do a range of products:

https://www.arconsupplies.co.uk/uses...or-stone-steps

I found some red mortar dye, so it might not look too bad.