Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Best way to fix broken step?

On 07/05/2021 18:11, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/05/2021 17:40, GB wrote:
The outer end of a step has broken off. See first photo.

I'd probably replace the whole slab, but it continues under the steps
above and supports them. See second photo.

Is there a way of repairing this that won't just crumble away fairly
quickly? The slabs have a small overhang at the front.

Have you got the broken off bit?

If so, a quick fix would be to drill a couple of 12mm holes into the end
of the slab, and matching ones into the broken bit, then use some
concrete anchor resin[1] and some 8mm to 10mm threaded rod as a splint -
setting the rod into pockets of resin as well as using it to "glue" the
full area of the break. (over fill a bit, push tight and scrape off any
excess.

That would be my approach too. It looks as though there is next to no
"overhang", so no significant bending moment on the joint.

In the absence of the missing bit, you could "square up" the failed area
over the full slab width and let in a suitably cut portion, dowelling it
in the same way. You might also let in a couple of vertical dowels in
the brick, there is obviously a bit of a compromise with clearance
somewhere to permit assembly.

Do most of the cut with an angle grinder for speed, finishing up the
bits you can't do without damaging other slabs with a multi-tool