Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old Interior Doors

Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

You can get thin MDF and thin plywood.

I think the thinnest MDF I've seen is around 1/8", 3mm. That won't
'look like wood' really, though it is nice and smooth.

You can get plywood thinner than 1/8", I remember using 1/16" ply on a
model boat many moons ago. That would work pretty well I think, and
it *is* wood! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 11:07, Chris Green wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

You can get thin MDF and thin plywood.

I think the thinnest MDF I've seen is around 1/8", 3mm. That won't
'look like wood' really, though it is nice and smooth.

You can get plywood thinner than 1/8", I remember using 1/16" ply on a
model boat many moons ago. That would work pretty well I think, and
it *is* wood! :-)

Actually, you can get 1mm MDF - eg eBay 124529554607 - and I've used
this to stick to the bottom of some left over fancy tiles to use as pot
stands etc. As you say, it doesn't look much like wood, it would
probably stand out as too smooth.

But would plywood also crack?

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 10:49:39 AM UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

--
Cheers
Clive

Originally the panels could move so that they wouldn't split. Overpainting them has fasened them to the sides so when they move they split. I would replace them with thin ply but make sure that they weren't painted in.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 14:19, Jonathan wrote:
On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 10:49:39 AM UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

--
Cheers
Clive

Originally the panels could move so that they wouldn't split. Overpainting them has fasened them to the sides so when they move they split. I would replace them with thin ply but make sure that they weren't painted in.

Jonathan

Thanks, I realise the panels should be free, but I want a quick fix.

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

I had the same problem - back in the day when stripped wood was popular.
Still is with me.

I carefully cut the beading off one side. It's a stock moulding in London,
so possible to replace with new if needed.

Bashed the broken panel out - it fits in a groove in the frame.

Found some suitable thickness ply with a veneer that looked OK. Cut it
slightly oversize so it could be wiggled (and glued) into the groove.

On the side of the door where I'd removed the moulding (chose the worst
side for this) I removed it from the other three panels and replaced with
new - glued and pinned. Stained both the moulding and panel to the best
match I could achieve and gave the door a coat of clear matt varnish.

Still pleased with the results. Did much the same to the panelling round
the bay window.

I'm sure there might be a high tech filler to sort the cracks in the
panelling that could be stained to be invisible. They'd certainly manage
that on The Repair Shop. But I'm talking about 40 years ago.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 10:49:39 AM UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

--
Cheers
Clive

There are plenty of companies that will strip down old doors using a dipping process. Might be worthwhile doing and you might discover the door is in better condition than you imagine.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 16:31, Tricky Dicky wrote:

There are plenty of companies that will strip down old doors using a dipping process. Might be worthwhile doing and you might discover the door is in better condition than you imagine.

Or you may find the reason it was painted in the first place

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May 2021 at 16:31:43 BST, "Tricky Dicky" wrote:

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 10:49:39 AM UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

--
Cheers
Clive

There are plenty of companies that will strip down old doors using a dipping
process. Might be worthwhile doing and you might discover the door is in
better condition than you imagine.

Richard

Yes, I did that. Some of them are a bit ropey but I've got used to it, and
overall much prefer the look of a stripped door to painted.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 10:49, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house.Â* OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked.Â* Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this.Â* The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

Ask Barry Bucknell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RVnzu0COFU

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 17:42, alan_m wrote:
On 05/05/2021 16:31, Tricky Dicky wrote:

There are plenty of companies that will strip down old doors using a
dipping process. Might be worthwhile doing and you might discover the
door is in better condition than you imagine.

Or you may find the reason it was painted in the first place

oh yes. Pine was the MDF of the victorian age, and they spent a long
time covering up its awfulness.

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 18:45, Andrew wrote:
On 05/05/2021 10:49, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house.Â* OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked.Â* Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood
or maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this.Â* The slight
loss of depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

Ask Barry Bucknell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RVnzu0COFU

I remember my dad did that, and my first house had it on some doors
which I removed PDQ. We had loads of woodchip paper too, but
thankfully, no Artex.
..
Aesthetically it was ****e, but it did give the doors more solidity and
better sound and heat insulation.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 10:49, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house.Â* OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked.Â* Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this.Â* The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

Can you still get Fablon?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 17:42, alan_m wrote:
On 05/05/2021 16:31, Tricky Dicky wrote:

There are plenty of companies that will strip down old doors using a
dipping process. Might be worthwhile doing and you might discover the
door is in better condition than you imagine.

Or you may find the reason it was painted in the first place

oh yes. Pine was the MDF of the victorian age, and they spent a long
time covering up its awfulness.

I was "persuaded" once to strip stair spindles and banister back to
wood. This was on something built a year before Queen Victoria's death.
It was a exercise in complete frustration. The top layer of paint did
come off with a liquid paint stripper to find that the undercoat was
similar to tar. All skirting/picture rail etc seems to have painted in a
thick dark brown varnish. Getting a few stair spindles back to near
wood revealed poor quality wood and assembled with clout nails with nail
holes filled with a a putty. I had the mistake of not just checking a
small section before applying the paint stripper to most of the woodwork
on the stairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 18:45, Andrew wrote:
On 05/05/2021 10:49, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house.Â* OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked.Â* Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood
or maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this.Â* The slight
loss of depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

Ask Barry Bucknell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RVnzu0COFU

My parents purchased a house in the 1960s and that is the first thing
that was done to all the doors. The open under-stairs and all the way up
the the banisters was also clad in hardboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 14:12, alan_m wrote:
On 05/05/2021 17:42, alan_m wrote:
On 05/05/2021 16:31, Tricky Dicky wrote:

There are plenty of companies that will strip down old doors using a
dipping process. Might be worthwhile doing and you might discover
the door is in better condition than you imagine.

Or you may find the reason it was painted in the first place

oh yes. Pine was the MDF of the victorian age, and they spent a long
time covering up its awfulness.

I was "persuaded" once to strip stair spindles and banister back to
wood. This was on something built a year before Queen Victoria's death.
It was a exercise in complete frustration. The top layer of paint did
come off with a liquid paint stripper to find that the undercoat was
similar to tar. All skirting/picture rail etc seems to have painted in a
thick dark brown varnish.Â* Getting a few stair spindles back to near
wood revealed poor quality wood and assembled with clout nails with nail
holes filled with a a putty. I had the mistake of not just checking a
small section before applying the paint stripper to most of the woodwork
on the stairs.

I have had similar experiences.

For all its ghastliness a modern MDF fake panelled door is streets ahead
of a stripped pine monstrosity, and if you want a real wood door, well
buy one or make one

https://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk/interna...georgian-doors

£150 and up for solid oak.
https://www.directdoors.com/collecti...internal-doors
£130 for solid pine

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 14:12, alan_m wrote:
On 05/05/2021 17:42, alan_m wrote:
On 05/05/2021 16:31, Tricky Dicky wrote:

There are plenty of companies that will strip down old doors using
a dipping process. Might be worthwhile doing and you might discover
the door is in better condition than you imagine.

Or you may find the reason it was painted in the first place

oh yes. Pine was the MDF of the victorian age, and they spent a long
time covering up its awfulness.

I was "persuaded" once to strip stair spindles and banister back to
wood. This was on something built a year before Queen Victoria's
death. It was a exercise in complete frustration. The top layer of
paint did come off with a liquid paint stripper to find that the
undercoat was similar to tar. All skirting/picture rail etc seems to
have painted in a thick dark brown varnish.Â* Getting a few stair
spindles back to near wood revealed poor quality wood and assembled
with clout nails with nail holes filled with a a putty. I had the
mistake of not just checking a small section before applying the paint
stripper to most of the woodwork on the stairs.

I have had similar experiences.

For all its ghastliness a modern MDF fake panelled door is streets ahead
of a stripped pine monstrosity, and if you want a real wood door, well
buy one or make one

https://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk/interna...georgian-doors

£150 and up for solid oak.
https://www.directdoors.com/collecti...internal-doors
£130 for solid pine

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Cobh...m/p/9000229496

and £90 for oak veneered MDF. Which looks just like real oak, but
doesn't feel like it

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 05/05/2021 18:45, Andrew wrote:
On 05/05/2021 10:49, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood
or maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight
loss of depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

Ask Barry Bucknell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RVnzu0COFU

My parents purchased a house in the 1960s and that is the first thing
that was done to all the doors. The open under-stairs and all the way up
the the banisters was also clad in hardboard.

The first thing I did when we moved into a 1911 house in 1977 was to remove
the hardboard from the doors and and banisters.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 05/05/2021 18:45, Andrew wrote:
On 05/05/2021 10:49, Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood
or maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight
loss of depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

Ask Barry Bucknell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RVnzu0COFU

My parents purchased a house in the 1960s and that is the first thing
that was done to all the doors. The open under-stairs and all the way up
the the banisters was also clad in hardboard.

The first thing I did when we moved into a 1911 house in 1977 was to remove
the hardboard from the doors and and banisters.

I was perhaps lucky that the previous owners of this place weren't into
DIY. So it was largely untouched. Apart from repairs to WW2 bomb damage -
so all 'new' plasterboard ceilings. Sadly, the cornices went at the same
time.

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Doors doors doors Ian[_6_] UK diy 8 July 19th 09 12:17 PM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Ownership 0 February 19th 09 08:45 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Repair 0 February 19th 09 08:41 AM
Composite Doors UK: Stable Doors, UPVC French Doors, ConcertinaDoors, Fibreglass Doors Modern Composite Doors Woodworking 0 April 24th 08 08:52 AM
doors doors doors, where to get big ones! Thomarse UK diy 18 July 20th 07 07:31 PM