Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Arthur[_2_] Clive Arthur[_2_] is offline

Default Old Interior Doors

On 05/05/2021 11:07, Chris Green wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:
Loads of old panelled Victorian doors in our house. OF course, these
have been painted many times and the panels are immovable and often
cracked. Filling and painting is a bit Forth bridge like.

If I had some thin material which wouldn't crack and looked like wood or
maybe was wood, I could cover the panels with this. The slight loss of
depth probably wouldn't show.

What might work?

You can get thin MDF and thin plywood.

I think the thinnest MDF I've seen is around 1/8", 3mm. That won't
'look like wood' really, though it is nice and smooth.

You can get plywood thinner than 1/8", I remember using 1/16" ply on a
model boat many moons ago. That would work pretty well I think, and
it *is* wood! :-)

Actually, you can get 1mm MDF - eg eBay 124529554607 - and I've used
this to stick to the bottom of some left over fancy tiles to use as pot
stands etc. As you say, it doesn't look much like wood, it would
probably stand out as too smooth.

But would plywood also crack?

--
Cheers