Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SOT: injection process (computer)

Whenever I run CCleaner, I now receive a warning about an injection
process taking place (coming from Bitdefender). If I acknowledge
this, I receive a message 'Injection Process Ignored' and Bitdefender
resumes. I have zero idea what this is about. It only started after
an update. I take it this is safe? Is there a way of adjusting
either CCleaner or Bitdefender to allow this? Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Whenever I run CCleaner, I now receive a warning about an injection
process taking place

Hopefully you're not still running the hacked 2017 version of CCleaner?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2021 08:48, Scott wrote:
Whenever I run CCleaner, I now receive a warning about an injection
process taking place (coming from Bitdefender). If I acknowledge
this, I receive a message 'Injection Process Ignored' and Bitdefender
resumes. I have zero idea what this is about. It only started after
an update. I take it this is safe? Is there a way of adjusting
either CCleaner or Bitdefender to allow this? Thanks.

When CCleaner runs, it's doing something that Bitdefender doesn't like.

You should be able to add CCleaner to a process exclusion list so you
are not troubled by this.

In theory you should be able to configure and use Windows 10 without
ccleaner?

e.g.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-...ndows-anymore/

FWIW, I don't have a great deal of trust for the spammy tools coming
from the Avast / AVG stable.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

In theory you should be able to configure and use Windows 10 without
ccleaner?

In theory? I'd say handwavy99%/handwavy of Win10 installs don't
have CCleaner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
In theory? I'd say handwavy99%/handwavy of Win10 installs don't
have CCleaner.

IMHO 'cleaner' tools are like those bottles of fuel additive sold in motor
parts shops. They're supposed to make your engine 'more efficient', but you
have to ask why the manufacturer sold you something less efficient in the
first place. However they keep people amused who can't resist the urge to
tinker.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 May 2021 09:00:38 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

Whenever I run CCleaner, I now receive a warning about an injection
process taking place

Hopefully you're not still running the hacked 2017 version of CCleaner?

It has had numerous updates since 2017, including one this week. Is
there any way of knowing definitively?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz posted
In theory you should be able to configure and use Windows 10 without
ccleaner?

e.g.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-...t-download-ccl
eaner-for-windows-anymore/

That article's a complete load of ****. Essentially it says "Don't use
CCleaner because most of its functions are in Windows 10", which is a
really stupid thing to say. I mean, if it's true, then we shouldn't use
Windows 10, since most of its functions are in Windows 7.

It's also full of fallacies or false statements. "Many people who
install CCleaner could be doing their computer more harm than good".
What harm? He doesn't say.

"If its dangerous for you to manually go through the registry and
edit it yourself, why would you let a third-party application go in and
try to guess what registry keys are unnecessary?" Because they know a
hell of a lot more about it than I do. Obviously.

"When CCleaner is installed, it configures itself to load as one more
application that launches when your computer starts up." No it doesn't,
not unless you let it. And if that were an argument for not using
software, you *definitely* shouldn't use Windows 10, because that loads
a lot of software at start-up that you *definitely* don't need and which
slows down your machine far more than CCleaner will ever do.

"Another thing CCleaner promises it can help you with is deleting junk
files from your computer system. ... Microsoft introduced a new feature
into Windows 10 ... called Storage Sense. This will automatically delete
any files in the Downloads folder, temporary files, or the Recycle Bin,
that havent been changed in 30 days." So Microsoft introduced a
function several years after CCleaner did, so now we've all got to use
the Microsoft function instead of CCleaner. Balls.

"By default, when you install CCleaner, its configured to send
anonymous usage data to CCleaner. ... Considering that CCleaner is
configured to run as a startup application by default, this means
CCleaner could be communicating with CCleaner servers without you even
realizing it." Again, if this is true it's a good reason for not using
Windows 10, because that's *exactly* what Windows 10 does. And to the
extent of virtually disabling some W10 PCs I have tried using. You
simply couldn't get them to respond to keystrokes.

--
Algernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2021 18:23, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Adrian Caspersz posted
In theory you should be able to configure and use Windows 10 without
ccleaner?

e.g.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-...t-download-ccl
eaner-for-windows-anymore/

That article's a complete load of ****.

Agreed*. Final goal still relevant though.

I chose something random as an example.

It was something dumbed down for the other third of the planet. The
words for the title are pure SEO Click Bait. Poor soul is trying his
best, but has an audience challenged with difficult English words never
mind them being on the back foot with technology. So he scams them.

-&-

I came across a really crap "advice" website today, on a google search.

So, I'm currently fooling about with a software deployment thing called
Puppet and by coincidence a headless server version of Google Chrome
called Puppeteer.

And there you go, that last sentence indicated no relation between the
two items. Chalk, Cheese.

There should be no need for the following "comparison" site. Is it
educating anyone?

https://stackshare.io/stackups/puppet-vs-puppeteer

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No but I've heard of the same weird error wanting when a screenreader is
being used as well, and I suspect its merely telling you that some software
is inserting itself between one process and another in order to do what it
has to do. For example I'd imagine Ccleaner needs to manage security of some
files it has to scan, depending on how you have your machine set up That
does require permissions and it is probably using a bona fide piece of code
to do it, but of course so would a nasty bit of software. There is no such
thing as 100 percent security, its up to you in the end what you allow or
disallow. Often anti virus software knows about the most common and trusted
software, sometimes the routine is altered and then you get spurious
warnings. NVDA needs in some software to get down and dirty to track screen
output etc, on other software it uses the Microsoft api etc, same goes for
Jaws and others.
Ccleaner is owned by the mob behind avg and avast, so it should be safe.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

Whenever I run CCleaner, I now receive a warning about an injection
process taking place

Hopefully you're not still running the hacked 2017 version of CCleaner?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I always download the portable version from the official site. That means it
cannot install stuff you are not aware of as it installs nothing at all.

Often the problem is third party installs.
The good thing about the portable one is you can stick it onto a ram stick
and run it on any computer that supports the sse2 instruction set.

wrote:

Scott wrote:

Whenever I run CCleaner, I now receive a warning about an injection
process taking place

Hopefully you're not still running the hacked 2017 version of CCleaner?

It has had numerous updates since 2017, including one this week. Is
there any way of knowing definitively?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Ccleaner is owned by the mob behind avg and avast, so it should be safe.

Opinions vary, I wouldn't want any of the three on my machines ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Ccleaner is owned by the mob behind avg and avast, so it should be safe.

Opinions vary, I wouldn't want any of the three on my machines ...

Yeah, avg comprehensively ****ed up my system at one time.
Wouldnt even boot until I fixed what it ****ed up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 May 2021 04:33:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, avg comprehensively ****ed up my system at one time.
Wouldnąt even boot until I fixed what it ****ed up.

You still haven't managed to fix YOURSELF, you totally ****ed up trolling
octogenarian pest!

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"