Posted to uk.d-i-y
Algernon Goss-Custard Algernon Goss-Custard is offline

Default SOT: injection process (computer)

Adrian Caspersz posted
In theory you should be able to configure and use Windows 10 without
ccleaner?

e.g.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-...t-download-ccl
eaner-for-windows-anymore/

That article's a complete load of ****. Essentially it says "Don't use
CCleaner because most of its functions are in Windows 10", which is a
really stupid thing to say. I mean, if it's true, then we shouldn't use
Windows 10, since most of its functions are in Windows 7.

It's also full of fallacies or false statements. "Many people who
install CCleaner could be doing their computer more harm than good".
What harm? He doesn't say.

"If its dangerous for you to manually go through the registry and
edit it yourself, why would you let a third-party application go in and
try to guess what registry keys are unnecessary?" Because they know a
hell of a lot more about it than I do. Obviously.

"When CCleaner is installed, it configures itself to load as one more
application that launches when your computer starts up." No it doesn't,
not unless you let it. And if that were an argument for not using
software, you *definitely* shouldn't use Windows 10, because that loads
a lot of software at start-up that you *definitely* don't need and which
slows down your machine far more than CCleaner will ever do.

"Another thing CCleaner promises it can help you with is deleting junk
files from your computer system. ... Microsoft introduced a new feature
into Windows 10 ... called Storage Sense. This will automatically delete
any files in the Downloads folder, temporary files, or the Recycle Bin,
that havent been changed in 30 days." So Microsoft introduced a
function several years after CCleaner did, so now we've all got to use
the Microsoft function instead of CCleaner. Balls.

"By default, when you install CCleaner, its configured to send
anonymous usage data to CCleaner. ... Considering that CCleaner is
configured to run as a startup application by default, this means
CCleaner could be communicating with CCleaner servers without you even
realizing it." Again, if this is true it's a good reason for not using
Windows 10, because that's *exactly* what Windows 10 does. And to the
extent of virtually disabling some W10 PCs I have tried using. You
simply couldn't get them to respond to keystrokes.

--
Algernon