Old April 7th 21, 05:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win10 Sharing.

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old April 7th 21, 07:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 18:48:56 +0100, newshound

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

Welcome to Win 10.

+1. I could browse to all my shares a while back, then I couldn't,
then could for a few days and now not. So I have to map drives using
the ip address.

I have tried a few things but with no improvement, inc running a tool
that showed all the browse masters and demoting all the ones where it
wasn't appropriate.

It even seems to have screwed up my shares on XP that have been ok for
years ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Old April 7th 21, 07:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/04/2021 18:48, newshound wrote:
This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in
the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

Welcome to Win 10.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...-local-network

Have you tried that?

Which version of Win10?

Old April 7th 21, 08:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

Win7 had SMB 1.0 enabled by default. For Windows 10 it is disabled by
default due to vulnerabilities.

To enable in Win 10
Open Control Panel
Click on Programs
Click on Turn Windows features on or off link
Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option
Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option
Click OK and restart

This may resolve your issue.

Old April 7th 21, 09:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 19:26, GB wrote:
[...]

"In this Windows 10 guide, we'll walk you through the steps to set up
and manage a HomeGroup to share resources with other users on your local
network."

Homegroup was removed from Windows 10 Version 1803. Version 1803. 1803
reached end of service in 2019.

--
Robin
Old April 8th 21, 04:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have done all the usual tricks

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

Which can be interpreted a couple of ways.

1) zero length password, to thwart prompts
2) Netplwiz and tick box, to autolog

I don't think Windows 10 particularly likes (1)
when it comes to file sharing.

And that trait may have been shared with other
modern versions of Windows.

Win10 also prompts for usernameassword, in situations
where before it was not necessary.

Some of the older stuff, is much easier.

Homegroups are deprecated on modern Win10. (The panel
for setting up a new homegroup might be missing.)

Homegroups used a total of seven services (plus ipv6).
Two of the services are still used, and
they have the word "Function" as the first
word in their name. They have something to do
with nameserving (NetBIOS ?). if they're not
running, you might have to use an IP address

\\bob\mydiskdrive Two "function" services running.
Translates bob to 192.168.1.2

\\192.168.1.2\mydiskdrive Two "function" services not running.
Mentioning bob would not work. Use IP.

You can enter identifiers like that, in the File Explorer box.

Turning on SMBV1 in Win10 Programs and Features : Windows Features,
enables sharing with WinXP. WinXP actually has a patch available
for the SMBV1 issue. But there are likely other problems with it,
like weak minimum crypto.

Paul
Old April 8th 21, 09:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 17:08:23 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

I frequently get the problem of 3 win10 PC's not sharing.
Usually this is solved for a while by going to:
PC SettingsNetwork & InternetStatusNetwork reset.
After restart an option comes up to file share with other computers.
I always click on yes. Problem solved until next time.
--

Mike
Old April 8th 21, 11:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/04/2021 21:00, Robin wrote:
On 07/04/2021 19:26, GB wrote:
[...]

So, you reckon that wasn't such a helpful recommendation then? ;-)

I just remember, on my network, that we had some windows home and some
windows pro PCs. The two lots talked nicely among each other, but home
wouldn't talk to pro, and vv. Turned out to be to do with homegroup
being the default network for win home, and workgroup being the default
for pro. I'm pleased to hear that that particular pitfall has been removed.

Old April 8th 21, 11:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
[...]

It's part of the 7 point answer I found via Google.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?