Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win10 and a KVM switch.

Anyone who's been keeping up will know I finally got my new Win10 Desktop
to do pretty well what I want.

It is used with this ancient Acorn via a KVM switch. Video is DVI - since
that's about the latest Acorn can do, with a special after market video
card. I also split the DVI feed from the DVI KVM switch to the monitor to
drive a TV above the workbench when needed - via an DVI to HDMI splitter.
Used to get a circuit diagram etc where it can be easily seen.

This all worked perfectly with the old Win7 PC, and have now got it
working with the new one - after buying a new video card with a DVI output.

But there is one funny. If I'm using the Acorn, and the PC goes to sleep,
waking it up with the KVM switched to it, it reverts to a generic Windows
driver, rather than the one for the video card. And display settings only
now see the KVM switch, rather than monitor. A re-boot sorts it - but any
guesses on how to stop this - other than stopping it going to sleep?

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

If I'm using the Acorn, and the PC goes to sleep,
waking it up with the KVM switched to it, it reverts to a generic Windows
driver

That sounds unlikely, are you sure the GPU isn't just switching to a
default resolution, because it can't get EDID data from the monitor?

rather than the one for the video card. And display settings only
now see the KVM switch

Is the KVM one wit enough intelligence to remember the EDID data from
and replay it to the PC when another input is connected to the monitor?

Have you somehow swapped KVM or HDMI splitter ports around in all the
changes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

To reach the conclusion about "driver", you would use Device Manager
(in the Windows 10 right-click Start button menu). In Device Manager,
the "before condition", if you did Properties on the video card entry,
it would say NVidia. If you woke the computer and the driver really
had changed, it would say "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

This is unlikely to happen. It would require the video card to lose power
during the session, gain power, then foul up the config info pulled
from BAR.

I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had
one resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected
a different resolution, based on something that happened.

When you mix KVMs and splitters, the "right things" have to
happen to the serial interface for the config device on the
monitor. The "Real Time" sampling option here, displays
the current table.

https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Let's take a DVI splitter. Say DVI uses differential lanes,
and a "lazy splitter design" grabs a lane and uses one
of the signals in a single-ended fashion. The other output
grabs the other wire and uses it single-ended. This is
tremendously clever.

However, the cleverness stops when they have to decide which
DDC/CI clock and data to use for the monitor. In this
example, the second monitor provides the config table of
resolutions. Whatever resolution the second monitor recommends
via its table, the first monitor has to "eat" when it shows
up on the cleverly split data lanes.

clever DVI
splitter
Computer ----------x x------- DDC/CI Monitor #1
\________
\
x------- DDC/CI Monitor #2

The KVM has the same handling chore to perform. It
must route the DDC/CI to the correct computer,
without any of the other computers being
aware there is a KVM present. The KVM cannot "glitch"
the signal towards the computer, because the computer
will attempt a redetect of the DDC/CI table. KVMs
which record the table from the monitor end, and play
it back on demand to the computer doing the redetect,
they will end up with consistent resolution selections.

They also used to make DDC/CI recorders, for devices
which presented an inconsistent table from time to time.
For around $50, the box had a power supply (tiny 5V source),
it had an EEPROM, some buttons for control, and you could
connect a projector (YPrPb) to the computer and have
the recorder box "lie" to the computer about what
resolutions the projector supported. So say the projector
(three lasers and DLP) was 1280x1024, yet it had
no DDC/CI wired to the VGA connector, the recorder box
could be pre-loaded with a 1280x1024 DDC/CI table and
then the computer would say "Ah, you're a 1280x1024
computer monitor, here is your signal".

Recorder boxes existed for a number of different
connectors, but in this case, I cannot see a reason
for using a recorder. Unless some item ("the Acorn") lacks
DDC/CI entirely, there's hardly a reason to be buying
a recorder to prop up the situation.

Using Moninfo, verify that the computer is presenting what
looks like properly pulled tables. And think about what
the wiring is supposed to be doing, who is driving the
DDC/CI and so on. In the case of the DVI splitter, you
could try swapping what is connected to Monitor #1 and
Monitor #2 in the above diagram.

DDC/CI is not a multimaster bus, and so hardware toys
cannot connect arbitrary things. They have to make a
choice as to what gets connected, and you as the user,
have to "sniff around" and figure out which connector
is master. In the above diagram, Monitor #2 output is
the master and is presenting its DDC/CI table for
the computer to read. Then Monitor #1 needs a good
multisync implementation, to be eating whatever
signal is being sent to it.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul wrote:
I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had
one resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected
a different resolution, based on something that happened.

If I look at display settings, there is only a choice of two - both
ancient 4:3 ones, with this condition. And instead of the monitor name,
says KVM.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had
one resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected
a different resolution, based on something that happened.

If I look at display settings, there is only a choice of two - both
ancient 4:3 ones, with this condition. And instead of the monitor name,
says KVM.

Your KVM isn't passing through the EDID (DDC) info, so your PC thinks it's
connected to an old VGA monitor. Given that it says 'KVM' it suggests the
PC is successfully talking to the KVM, but the KVM is giving the wrong
answers.

You can get 'EDID emulator' boxes that lie to the PC as to what EDID is
attached, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gefen-DVI...e/133363100740
which might avoid that problem - you hook up the monitor to the box and
record the EDID. Then you plug the box into the computer and it thinks that
kind of monitor is always attached, even when the KVM removes it.

It should be something the KVM does itself, though. Perhaps there's a
setting somewhere?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/08/2020 21:24, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
[...]

I use two PCs at the moment with a very basic KVM. (Aten CS22U) One PC
is W10 and the other is XP. It just works, I'm afraid.

I realise that this is no help at all with your issue, but I thought it
might give you hope.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had
one resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected
a different resolution, based on something that happened.

If I look at display settings, there is only a choice of two - both
ancient 4:3 ones, with this condition. And instead of the monitor name,
says KVM.

Your KVM isn't passing through the EDID (DDC) info, so your PC thinks it's
connected to an old VGA monitor. Given that it says 'KVM' it suggests the
PC is successfully talking to the KVM, but the KVM is giving the wrong
answers.

That's what it looks like. But only after the PC wakes up from sleep mode.
With it running, I can swap between the two as often as I like without
problem.

With the old Win7 PC, if I woke that up without it being selected, it was
on the wrong resolution. But could be corrected via display settings.

You can get 'EDID emulator' boxes that lie to the PC as to what EDID is
attached, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gefen-DVI...e/133363100740
which might avoid that problem - you hook up the monitor to the box and
record the EDID. Then you plug the box into the computer and it thinks
that kind of monitor is always attached, even when the KVM removes it.

It should be something the KVM does itself, though. Perhaps there's a
setting somewhere?

I'll see if I can find the instructions.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:01:38 +0100, GB wrote:

On 28/08/2020 21:24, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had one
resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected a
different resolution, based on something that happened.

If I look at display settings, there is only a choice of two - both
ancient 4:3 ones, with this condition. And instead of the monitor
name,
says KVM.

Your KVM isn't passing through the EDID (DDC) info, so your PC thinks
it's connected to an old VGA monitor. Given that it says 'KVM' it
suggests the PC is successfully talking to the KVM, but the KVM is
giving the wrong answers.

You can get 'EDID emulator' boxes that lie to the PC as to what EDID is
attached, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gefen-DVI...Store-Instant-

Switching-problem-solving-device/133363100740
which might avoid that problem - you hook up the monitor to the box and
record the EDID. Then you plug the box into the computer and it thinks
that kind of monitor is always attached, even when the KVM removes it.

It should be something the KVM does itself, though. Perhaps there's a
setting somewhere?

Theo

I use two PCs at the moment with a very basic KVM. (Aten CS22U) One PC
is W10 and the other is XP. It just works, I'm afraid.

I realise that this is no help at all with your issue, but I thought it
might give you hope.

I used a KVM switch about ten years a to select any one of three computers
for the monitor. That was all superseded long ago when I got an Asus 27"
monitor with multiple inputs. I only have two computers computers
connected now and I do the switching directly on the monitor. The cabling
is very much neater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had
one resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected
a different resolution, based on something that happened.

If I look at display settings, there is only a choice of two - both
ancient 4:3 ones, with this condition. And instead of the monitor name,
says KVM.

You have to follow the wiring and figure this out.

Take the monitor you hope to use and connect it *directly*
to the computer. Now, use Moninfo, and do a Real Time fetch.
Do you get a proper table from the monitor ?

Some monitors in the past, lacked write protect. It
was possible to overwrite the EDID and fill it with
garbage. "Verifying" the monitor then, is to check
that everything about that monitor is normal.

Now, with your various clever devices, you have
to figure out why a given item is not passing the
table properly. A KVM for example, could scan the
monitor, then present copies of the table on the computer
side. Each "box" in the path, presents a challenge.
What transform does it perform ? Can it foul up ?
What does a failure look like ?

Right away, a monitor name of "KVM" says the KVM could
not get an EDID from the monitor, and it substituted
a nicely formatted, canned EDID table it keeps for
special occasions. Now, you have to figure out whether
the KVM has a config switch or jumper to be doing this.
Or, figure out how the plumbing coming back from the monitor
has ruined the EDID info. If your DVI splitter is
between the KVM and the monitor, then the DVI only
allows one of its two output ports to be driving the
EDID function.

This little adventure is a lot like "buzzing wiring",
except the function involved is a bit more esoteric and
requires more test cases to reach a conclusion. Verifying
the monitor actually has an EDID table, is a necessary
part of this. The KVM cannot "invent" the correct table
for the monitor. and a "1024x768 KVM" table is highly
unlikely to make anyone happy.

Buying one of those boxes (sits in-line in a path where
the EDID isn't working) is certainly an option, but it
helps to understand what is killing your EDID in the first
place.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 August 2020 at 05:47:12 UTC+1, jon wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:01:38 +0100, GB wrote:

On 28/08/2020 21:24, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
[...]

Same here. One monitor with two inputs. Works perfectly for what I want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David
wrote:
On Saturday, 29 August 2020 at 05:47:12 UTC+1, jon wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:01:38 +0100, GB wrote:

On 28/08/2020 21:24, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article , Paul
wrote:
[...]

Trouble is that you need two keyboards and two mice (or mouses)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 04:47:09 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

snip

I used a KVM switch about ten years a to select any one of three computers
for the monitor.

I have done similar with a two way Aten and now 3 off 4 way. ;-)

That was all superseded long ago when I got an Asus 27"
monitor with multiple inputs. I only have two computers computers
connected now and I do the switching directly on the monitor. The cabling
is very much neater.

Yeahbut don't you have to pick up the remote or press the input button
on the monitor itself (no so easy if it's out of arms reach), as
opposed to just hitting 'ScrlLk-ScrlLk-1-4'?

The problem Dave has been seeing is as has been mentioned elsewhere
and likely a clash / lack / contradiction of information going back to
the PC from either the KVM switch and the computers themselves.

The more 'automagic' the machine / switch / OS the more likely it will
be to suffer this sort of thing.

I have similar between a 40" TV VGA input and a 4 port VGA KVM and a
W10 ITX PC I built that has both VGA and HDMI outputs. W10 gets very
confused [1], often only outputting on the disconnected HDMI port and
not the VGA.

Swap to a smaller TV with VGA and it all works fine.

Not all PC's on that switch support HDMI (ironically the two RPi's do
g) so I keep to VGA as the L.C.D.

Cheers, T i m

[1] On VGA through the KVM to 40" TV, you get the PC BIOS splash
screen, the W10 booting logo and then nothing (as the video output has
switched from VGA to HDMI).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 04:47:09 +0000, jon wrote:

I used a KVM switch about ten years a to select any one of three
computers for the monitor. That was all superseded long ago when I got
an Asus 27" monitor with multiple inputs. I only have two computers
computers connected now and I do the switching directly on the monitor.
The cabling is very much neater.

Do they all have their own keyboard and mouse?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jon wrote:
I used a KVM switch about ten years a to select any one of three
computers for the monitor. That was all superseded long ago when I got
an Asus 27" monitor with multiple inputs. I only have two computers
computers connected now and I do the switching directly on the monitor.
The cabling is very much neater.

A KVM switch also shares the keyboard and mouse. And as I said I have two
monitors switched by it.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 04:47:09 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

snip

I used a KVM switch about ten years a to select any one of three computers
for the monitor.

I have done similar with a two way Aten and now 3 off 4 way. ;-)

That was all superseded long ago when I got an Asus 27"
monitor with multiple inputs. I only have two computers computers
connected now and I do the switching directly on the monitor. The cabling
is very much neater.

Yeahbut don't you have to pick up the remote or press the input button
on the monitor itself (no so easy if it's out of arms reach), as
opposed to just hitting 'ScrlLk-ScrlLk-1-4'?

Quite. Both my monitors have 'soft touch' input selection. Neither is as
easy to use as a couple of keyboard strokes.

The problem Dave has been seeing is as has been mentioned elsewhere
and likely a clash / lack / contradiction of information going back to
the PC from either the KVM switch and the computers themselves.

The more 'automagic' the machine / switch / OS the more likely it will
be to suffer this sort of thing.

I have similar between a 40" TV VGA input and a 4 port VGA KVM and a
W10 ITX PC I built that has both VGA and HDMI outputs. W10 gets very
confused [1], often only outputting on the disconnected HDMI port and
not the VGA.

Only using the video card DVI output on the PC.

Swap to a smaller TV with VGA and it all works fine.

Not all PC's on that switch support HDMI (ironically the two RPi's do
g) so I keep to VGA as the L.C.D.

Cheers, T i m

[1] On VGA through the KVM to 40" TV, you get the PC BIOS splash
screen, the W10 booting logo and then nothing (as the video output has
switched from VGA to HDMI).

The old PC worked just fine with the same monitor and KVM switch. With the
proviso that if you didn't switch to it before waking it up, it selected
the wrong resolution, but easily corrected. With this one, the only way to
get back to the correct resolution is with a re-boot.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:20:05 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I have similar between a 40" TV VGA input and a 4 port VGA KVM and a
W10 ITX PC I built that has both VGA and HDMI outputs. W10 gets very
confused [1], often only outputting on the disconnected HDMI port and
not the VGA.

Only using the video card DVI output on the PC.

Yeah, and I was only *intending* using the VGA output on my PC, W10
seemed to want to do different (on the big TV, ok on the smaller TV,
even with nothing plugged into the PC HDMI port at the time of booting
/ switching). ;-(

snip

The old PC worked just fine with the same monitor and KVM switch.

I think it might be more the 'Old OS' (W7) than PC Dave?

With the
proviso that if you didn't switch to it before waking it up, it selected
the wrong resolution, but easily corrected. With this one, the only way to
get back to the correct resolution is with a re-boot.

Yeah, I've had that and so (probably like you) make sure you are
switched to the newly turned on PC, for a while at least. Mostly it's
ok without doing that though.

I'm currently KVM'ing between XP on this Mac Mini, W10 / Mint 18 /
Other OS's on another box (swappable drive bay), W10 on a slimline
Shuttle and often something I'm playing with, be it a RPi (with HDMI
VGA adaptor) or a laptop I'm repairing that has a faulty screen etc.

Upstairs I swap between a replacement for the Mac Mini I've been
building / testing for a while, a 'TV PC' (that's due to stay there),
A PC that should be with my 3D printer (and will be when daughter
takes more of her stuff g) and anything else I'm working on (for
myself or others). ;-)

Daughter has the same with her main desktop PC (that was her step
sisters), the Slimline Shuttle NAS (that mostly runs headless) and the
last PC she built for herself when she lived here but ended up using a
an i3 laptop we were given. ;-)

I have tried all sorts of screen sharing and virtual keyboards but
find nothing as flexible / durable / simple as the Aten KVM switches
(apart from the very occasional funny). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:11:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

A KVM switch also shares the keyboard and mouse.

snip

In this case they are wireless keyboard and mouse. ;-)

The only problem with that is that the Logitech utility wants to unify
the two transceivers when I would prefer it didn't (so stop it doing
so). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:11:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

A KVM switch also shares the keyboard and mouse.

snip

In this case they are wireless keyboard and mouse. ;-)

The only problem with that is that the Logitech utility wants to unify
the two transceivers when I would prefer it didn't (so stop it doing
so). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Are you saying the same keyboard and mouse work simultaneously on both?
That would be a nightmare here.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 12:10:52 +0100, T i m wrote:

I have tried all sorts of screen sharing and virtual keyboards but find
nothing as flexible / durable / simple as the Aten KVM switches (apart
from the very occasional funny). ;-)

+1. The Belkin ones were the worst. And I had ports die on them.

The Atens have been trouble free (I have three two port ones, one four
port and one eight port).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 12:39:11 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:11:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

A KVM switch also shares the keyboard and mouse.

snip

In this case they are wireless keyboard and mouse. ;-)

The only problem with that is that the Logitech utility wants to unify
the two transceivers when I would prefer it didn't (so stop it doing
so). ;-)

Are you saying the same keyboard and mouse work simultaneously on both?
That would be a nightmare here.

No? That the KVM switch supports wireless keyboard and mouse (two
different transceivers) just as it would corded devices (inc pre PC OS
boot etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
That's what it looks like. But only after the PC wakes up from sleep mode.
With it running, I can swap between the two as often as I like without
problem.

When the PC wakes from sleep it'll rescan the monitors, because you might
have unplugged something while it was sleeping. It looks like the KVM keeps
telling the PC there is a monitor connected even when you switch away from
that input (as it should, to avoid unnecessary window rearrangement) while
the PC is running, but when the PC awakens it does a full rescan and decides
it can't make sense of what's attached and so falls back to classic VGA.

With the old Win7 PC, if I woke that up without it being selected, it was
on the wrong resolution. But could be corrected via display settings.

Sounds like a similar problem.

You might also be able to force the PC to output a specific resolution
irrespective of what the monitor/KVM says. It's a bit like installing a
Monitor Definition File on your Acorn. I've done that on Macs and Linux but
I'm not familiar with how Windows does it. There's probably an app for
that.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo

I use two PCs at the moment with a very basic KVM. (Aten CS22U) One PC
is W10 and the other is XP. It just works, I'm afraid.

I realise that this is no help at all with your issue, but I thought it
might give you hope.

I used a KVM switch about ten years a to select any one of three computers
for the monitor. That was all superseded long ago when I got an Asus 27"
monitor with multiple inputs. I only have two computers computers
connected now and I do the switching directly on the monitor. The cabling
is very much neater.

Same here. One monitor with two inputs. Works perfectly for what I want.

Does this not mean you have several mice and several keyboards for one
monitor?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 09:42:55 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:
On Saturday, 29 August 2020 at 05:47:12 UTC+1, jon wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:01:38 +0100, GB wrote:

On 28/08/2020 21:24, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gefen-DVI...ID-Save-Store-

[...]

No.....got a common logitech unifying receiver for the wireless keyboard
and mouse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 August 2020 at 21:17:20 UTC+1, No Name wrote:
Theo

I use two PCs at the moment with a very basic KVM. (Aten CS22U) One PC
is W10 and the other is XP. It just works, I'm afraid.

I realise that this is no help at all with your issue, but I thought it
might give you hope.
I used a KVM switch about ten years a to select any one of three computers
for the monitor. That was all superseded long ago when I got an Asus 27"
monitor with multiple inputs. I only have two computers computers
connected now and I do the switching directly on the monitor. The cabling
is very much neater.

Same here. One monitor with two inputs. Works perfectly for what I want.

Does this not mean you have several mice and several keyboards for one
monitor?

Well, my use case involves one desktop PC and one laptop that I like to use with a monitor as a second screen... so yes, there are indeed two keyboards, one mouse, and one touchpad in total. *shrug*
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jon wrote:
Trouble is that you need two keyboards and two mice (or mouses)

No.....got a common logitech unifying receiver for the wireless keyboard
and mouse.

Then it would work on both computers at the same time with no KVM switch.
Fine if you only ever have one switched on at a time.

That wouldn't work here, as the old Acorn prints via the PC. And shares
other functions too.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

jon wrote:

got a common logitech unifying receiver for the wireless keyboard
and mouse.

Then it would work on both computers at the same time with no KVM switch.
Fine if you only ever have one switched on at a time.

Some of the logitech mice/keyboards have a button that switches them
between up to 3 paired unifying or bluetooth receivers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

jon wrote:

got a common logitech unifying receiver for the wireless keyboard
and mouse.

Then it would work on both computers at the same time with no KVM switch.
Fine if you only ever have one switched on at a time.

Some of the logitech mice/keyboards have a button that switches them
between up to 3 paired unifying or bluetooth receivers

Right. So you switch the mouse. Then the keyboard. Then the monitor. Then
the audio. Think I'll stick to my KVM switch. ;-)

--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2020 23:01, GB wrote:
On 28/08/2020 21:24, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Paul wrote:
I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had
one resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected
a different resolution, based on something that happened.

If I look at display settings, there is only a choice of two - both
ancient 4:3 ones, with this condition. And instead of the monitor name,
says KVM.

Your KVM isn't passing through the EDID (DDC) info, so your PC thinks
it's
connected to an old VGA monitor.Â* Given that it says 'KVM' it suggests
the
PC is successfully talking to the KVM, but the KVM is giving the wrong
answers.

You can get 'EDID emulator' boxes that lie to the PC as to what EDID is
attached, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gefen-DVI...e/133363100740

which might avoid that problem - you hook up the monitor to the box and
record the EDID.Â* Then you plug the box into the computer and it
thinks that
kind of monitor is always attached, even when the KVM removes it.

It should be something the KVM does itself, though.Â* Perhaps there's a
setting somewhere?

Theo

I use two PCs at the moment with a very basic KVM. (Aten CS22U) One PC
is W10 and the other is XP. It just works, I'm afraid.

Aten KVMs are usually considered to be fairly decent kit (with prices to
match), so you would expect them to get it right.

--
Cheers,

John.

Updating Win7 to Win10 Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 50 July 2nd 20 12:00 AM
Win10 latest update Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 14 August 24th 18 02:56 PM
KVM switch circuit diagram news.new Electronics Repair 1 April 7th 05 02:36 AM
KVM Switch JV Electronics 0 October 3rd 04 08:13 PM
KVM switch foolinyu Electronics Repair 1 October 3rd 04 04:39 AM