Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default homeworkshop.org.uk

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

TIA
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?

still seems to exist with most recent adverts 2 days ago ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?

still seems to exist with most recent adverts 2 days ago ...

Thats very strange I've been getting a mix of timeout and 403 errors for
the last few weeks.
I've just tried a different browser with same result.
However forcing my phone to use 4G I can connect ok but not on wifi so I
can only conclude that there is some issue with my ISP -virginmedia.

If anyone reading this who is on Virginmedia could try and report back
please?
TIA
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Forcing my phone to use 4G I can connect ok but not on wifi so I
can only conclude that there is some issue with my ISP -virginmedia.

DNS for me resolves to 91.109.4.14, is yours different?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 13:21, Bob Minchin wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?

still seems to exist with most recent adverts 2 days ago ...

Thats very strange I've been getting a mix of timeout and 403 errors for
the last few weeks.
I've just tried a different browser with same result.
However forcing my phone to use 4G I can connect ok but not on wifi so I
can only conclude that there is some issue with my ISP -virginmedia.

If anyone reading this who is on Virginmedia could try and report back
please?
TIA
Bob

I'm on a VM wired connection, and I can access the said site with no
problem. I'm using FF browser if that helps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Forcing my phone to use 4G I can connect ok but not on wifi so I can
only conclude that there is some issue with my ISP -virginmedia.

DNS for me resolves to 91.109.4.14, is yours different?

Hmm!
If I've done it correctly, a ping test to that address gives

C:\Users\latitudeE7240ping 91.109.4.14

Pinging 91.109.4.14 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 91.109.4.14:

C:\Users\latitudeE7240
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?

still seems to exist with most recent adverts 2 days ago ...

Thats very strange I've been getting a mix of timeout and 403 errors
for the last few weeks.
I've just tried a different browser with same result.
However forcing my phone to use 4G I can connect ok but not on wifi so
I can only conclude that there is some issue with my ISP -virginmedia.

If anyone reading this who is on Virginmedia could try and report back
please?
TIA
Bob

I'm on a VM wired connection, and I can access the said site with no
problem. I'm using FF browser if that helps

Thanks Rob.

A response on the VM community confirms it is working too.
Maybe I've been blocked?
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 13:48:04 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Forcing my phone to use 4G I can connect ok but not on wifi so I can
only conclude that there is some issue with my ISP -virginmedia.

DNS for me resolves to 91.109.4.14, is yours different?

Hmm!
If I've done it correctly, a ping test to that address gives

C:\Users\latitudeE7240ping 91.109.4.14

Pinging 91.109.4.14 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 91.109.4.14:

C:\Users\latitudeE7240

I tried it using Zen Internet (via FTTC) without difficulty.

I left Virgin Media some time ago as I was not satisfied with the
service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Pinging 91.109.4.14 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

It replies to pings from plusnet, not that ping is necessarily a good
indication of a working web server
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 11:07, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

TIA
Bob

works fer me

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 11:07, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

Works for me from VM with an IP address in the 81.110 range. It may be
the site's host is blocking one of VM's other ranges.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 15:07, Robin wrote:
On 05/04/2021 11:07, Bob Minchin wrote:
Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

Works for me from VM with an IP address in the 81.110 range.Ā* It may be
the site's host is blocking one of VM's other ranges.

Showing good taste then...

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?

still seems to exist with most recent adverts 2 days ago ...
Thats very strange I've been getting a mix of timeout and 403 errors
for the last few weeks.
I've just tried a different browser with same result.
However forcing my phone to use 4G I can connect ok but not on wifi
so I can only conclude that there is some issue with my ISP
-virginmedia.

If anyone reading this who is on Virginmedia could try and report
back please?
TIA
Bob

I'm on a VM wired connection, and I can access the said site with no
problem. I'm using FF browser if that helps

Thanks Rob.

A response on the VM community confirms it is working too.
Maybe I've been blocked?

Do you have a dynamic or a static IP? Have you tried via VPN?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

TIA
Bob

Sometimes when I lose access to to site a router reboot restores things.
DNS issues? All Greek to me but its worth a shot.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Apr 2021 11:07:30 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

TIA Bob

Just checked on my VM link with Chrome browser and I can see it.

DNS resolves it to 52.58.78.16

I am using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 11:07:30 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

TIA
Bob

No problems on Firefox:
https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Technically it is dynamic but in practice rarely changes
it is from 80.7 series
no option to use a vpn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

I was thinking only from the PoV of a test - if it fails though a VPN,
then its unlikely to be a block on your IP.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Try:-

https://hidester.com/proxy/

lets you view. If you can view on WiFi but not on mobile then usually

1. The site is flagged as age restricted by VM or other mobile provider,
perhaps because in this case it sells sharp objects, glue or other age
restricted products.

2. You have not enabled adult services on your phone. You need to ring
VM to do this. By agreement with the goverment adult services are
disabled by default on all new contracts

3. To check if www.whatpub.com also fails but works on WiFi then adult
filtering by VM is the problem.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

Working fine with Pale Moon browser
- https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

--
Regards
wasbit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

I've been getting a mix of timeout and 403 error

If you get a 403 error, you've reached *A* server, but possibly the
wrong one?

You checked you could ping 91.109.4.14 by IP addr, but what if you ping
homeworkshop.org.uk by name, do you get a different IP addr?

What DNS are you using? What if you temporarily try e.g. 1.1.1.1 or
8.8.8.8 ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

It could be a DNS issue. I don't know for certain, but of you work
through VPN won't you still use the same DNS server?

Given the multiple exits from a VPN IP address, wouldn't it be more
likely to experience a block when using the VPN.

A while ago I used a tool to check DNS server responses using the free
ones, such as Google's own. Not all the results were the same!

I think it was "DNS Benchmark" but not sure if had the facility to
return IPs for a known website.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

To be fair it does depend on how the VPN is configured and what software
you use to establish the connection (assuming you do it from the
computer directly and not on the router itself)

Also, if the IP Bob sees matches that which others have posted here,
then that ought to rule out DNS issues.

(If you know the site IP, you can always try connecting to it directly
with a url of http://192.168.1.254 etc or whatever the IP is. Note that
will only work for larger sites that are not using shared web hosting.
For smaller sites that may use one machine to serve multiple sites, you
will need to do that by name otherwise the web server will not be able
to work out which site's content you want. You can get round that by
adding a line in your HOSTS file to map a name to an IP, and that will
then take priority over a DNS lookup)

Given the multiple exits from a VPN IP address, wouldn't it be more
likely to experience a block when using the VPN.

Only if you are using a termination point that is blacklisted - say for
example the system you are talking to is geofenced, and your VPN service
is terminated in a country that is excluded.

A while ago I used a tool to check DNS server responses using the free
ones, such as Google's own. Not all the results were the same!

The larger UK ISPs are obliged to sign up to various block lists that
are supposed to restrict access to content for reasons of abuse (child
typically) or copyright infringement etc. Some may use crude IP blocks
for some of that. So that can be one source of change.

Also larger sites may use DNS rotation to implement a form of load
balancing - basically handing out one of a pool of addresses to spread
the load around a number of servers - so again you may not get the same
address on each lookup.

I think it was "DNS Benchmark" but not sure if had the facility to
return IPs for a known website.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

TIA
Bob

Just to follow up on this.
I've heard back from Adam with this message.
"Hi Bob, your IP address has been blocked by our security and firewall
system because of suspicious behaviour coming from a device using that
connection. I have removed the entry we should now allow you back on the
site but as they have said if something else is using your connection to
carry out this behaviour it will be blocked again. Below is the
following entry from the log file;
csf.deny: 80.7.35.195 # lfd: (mod_security) mod_security (id:949110)
triggered by 80.7.35.195 (GB/United
Kingdom/cpc76102-ando7-2-0-cust962.15-1.cable.virginm.net): 5 in the
last 3600 secs - Mon Apr 5 10:58:17 2021"

I've no idea what I might have done
to cause this and I don't really understand the log entry.
Maybe my son is up to some mischief??

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

I've no idea what I might have done

refreshing too often?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

I've no idea what I might have done

refreshing too often?

Other than continually pressing F5 which I don't, Ive no idea how to
influence refresh rate.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

I have website on a shared server and before the DNS entries were
updated to the name servers I think I was able to access the site with
some user name after a given URL.

Given the multiple exits from a VPN IP address, wouldn't it be more
likely to experience a block when using the VPN.

Only if you are using a termination point that is blacklisted - say for
example the system you are talking to is geofenced, and your VPN service
is terminated in a country that is excluded.

A while ago I used a tool to check DNS server responses using the free
ones, such as Google's own. Not all the results were the same!

The larger UK ISPs are obliged to sign up to various block lists that
are supposed to restrict access to content for reasons of abuse (child
typically) or copyright infringement etc. Some may use crude IP blocks
for some of that. So that can be one source of change.

I wasn't aware of that, and thought censoring was carried with DNS
lookups rather than blocking IP addresses.

Also larger sites may use DNS rotation to implement a form of load
balancing - basically handing out one of a pool of addresses to spread
the load around a number of servers - so again you may not get the same
address on each lookup.

I think it was "DNS Benchmark" but not sure if had the facility to
return IPs for a known website.

There are sites that check DNS entries. This is one I came across that
gives a timeout for some servers for the OP's website:
https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/homeworkshop.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 17:49, Bob Minchin wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?
I know Adam did not have be the best of health a while back.

TIA
Bob

Just to follow up on this.
I've heard back from Adam with this message.
"Hi Bob, your IP address has been blocked by our security and firewall
system because of suspicious behaviour coming from a device using that
connection. I have removed the entry we should now allow you back on the
site but as they have said if something else is using your connection to
carry out this behaviour it will be blocked again. Below is the
following entry from the log file;
csf.deny: 80.7.35.195 # lfd: (mod_security) mod_security (id:949110)
triggered by 80.7.35.195 (GB/United
Kingdom/cpc76102-ando7-2-0-cust962.15-1.cable.virginm.net): 5 in the
last 3600 secs - Mon AprĀ* 5 10:58:17 2021"

I've no idea what I might have done

Probably nothing yourself...

to cause this and I don't really understand the log entry.

You would need to see more of the log messages to form a proper opinion.
mod_security (add on module for the Apache2 web server (and possibly
others)) is designed to pick up on "unusual" patterns of traffic using a
rule set. Those rules will then in some cases block access from a
specific client IP if it is deemed a threat.

Maybe my son is up to some mischief??

You may be able to trigger something by hitting pages that return enough
"403 forbidden" errors. (i.e. manually editing URLs to try and real
directories that are not intended to be readable by the web server)

Also many of the security rules will be setup to catch people running
vulnerability scanners against the web server (e.g. for research before
attempting to hack a server, a perp may run various scanners to see if
they crash a server or get it to do other unexpected stuff by hitting it
will lots of malformed requests, and attempts at buffer overflows etc.

So someone playing with hacking tools could do it, or alternatively a
machine on the network that has been compromised and is now carrying out
surrogate attacks for someone else.

If unsure, then running a Malwarebytes scan on all the machines would be
worth doing (assuming all Windows or Macs).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

Most Mobile suppliers use Network Address Translation so many of there
phones share the same IP address. I think folks who block by IP address
are ****ing into the wind. If you install IP Tools they will show you
your internal and external addresses. If they are different you are
"NATed" and many people will be sharing the address 80.7.35.195.

https://www.iptools.su/

I am on virgin and my external IP is 82.132.247.28 which is a real
internal address but my internal address is 10.66.37.232 which is a none
routeable address. So many phones will sahre 80.7.35.195 and blocking it
will kill many connections...

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

This is not a mobile supplier, so the rest of your post follows is
irrelevant ********.

$ dig -x 80.7.35.195

; DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.19-Ubuntu -x 80.7.35.195
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; -HEADER- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 17671
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;195.35.7.80.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
195.35.7.80.in-addr.arpa. 21525 IN PTR
cpc76102-ando7-2-0-cust962.15-1.cable.virginm.net.

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Apr 09 07:45:44 BST 2021
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 105

so many of there
phones share the same IP address. I think folks who block by IP address
are ****ing into the wind. If you install IP Tools they will show you
your internal and external addresses. If they are different you are
"NATed" and many people will be sharing the address 80.7.35.195.

No, they won't.
In fact only one customer is.

https://www.iptools.su/

I am on virgin and my external IP is 82.132.247.28

Is it?

$ dig -x 82.132.247.28

; DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.19-Ubuntu -x 82.132.247.28
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; -HEADER- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 63021
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;28.247.132.82.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
28.247.132.82.in-addr.arpa. 21600 IN PTR 82-132-247-28.dab.02.net.

;; Query time: 210 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Apr 09 07:47:28 BST 2021
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 93

It appears to actually be an O2 mobile address.

which is a real
internal address

No, its a real external address.

but my internal address is 10.66.37.232 which is a none
routeable address.

A non routed address. Its perfectly routeable, but by convention the
internet at large, does not.

So many phones will sahre 80.7.35.195 and blocking it
will kill many connections...

A very little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Dave

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly