Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default homeworkshop.org.uk

On 06/04/2021 12:23, Fredxx wrote:
On 06/04/2021 01:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/04/2021 21:19, Bob Minchin wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/04/2021 13:49, Bob Minchin wrote:
RobH wrote:
On 05/04/2021 13:21, Bob Minchin wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Does anyone know what has happend to this advert site?

still seems to exist with most recent adverts 2 days ago ...
Thats very strange I've been getting a mix of timeout and 403
errors for the last few weeks.
I've just tried a different browser with same result.
However forcing my phone to use 4G I can connect ok but not on
wifi so I can only conclude that there is some issue with my ISP
-virginmedia.

If anyone reading this who is on Virginmedia could try and report
back please?
TIA
Bob

I'm on a VM wired connection, and I can access the said site with
no problem. I'm using FF browser if that helps
Thanks Rob.

A response on the VM community confirms it is working too.
Maybe I've been blocked?

Do you have a dynamic or a static IP? Have you tried via VPN?

Technically it is dynamic but in practice rarely changes
it is from 80.7 series
no option to use a vpn

I was thinking only from the PoV of a test - if it fails though a VPN,
then its unlikely to be a block on your IP.

It could be a DNS issue. I don't know for certain, but of you work
through VPN won't you still use the same DNS server?

To be fair it does depend on how the VPN is configured and what software
you use to establish the connection (assuming you do it from the
computer directly and not on the router itself)

Also, if the IP Bob sees matches that which others have posted here,
then that ought to rule out DNS issues.

(If you know the site IP, you can always try connecting to it directly
with a url of http://192.168.1.254 etc or whatever the IP is. Note that
will only work for larger sites that are not using shared web hosting.
For smaller sites that may use one machine to serve multiple sites, you
will need to do that by name otherwise the web server will not be able
to work out which site's content you want. You can get round that by
adding a line in your HOSTS file to map a name to an IP, and that will
then take priority over a DNS lookup)

Given the multiple exits from a VPN IP address, wouldn't it be more
likely to experience a block when using the VPN.

Only if you are using a termination point that is blacklisted - say for
example the system you are talking to is geofenced, and your VPN service
is terminated in a country that is excluded.

A while ago I used a tool to check DNS server responses using the free
ones, such as Google's own. Not all the results were the same!

The larger UK ISPs are obliged to sign up to various block lists that
are supposed to restrict access to content for reasons of abuse (child
typically) or copyright infringement etc. Some may use crude IP blocks
for some of that. So that can be one source of change.

Also larger sites may use DNS rotation to implement a form of load
balancing - basically handing out one of a pool of addresses to spread
the load around a number of servers - so again you may not get the same
address on each lookup.

I think it was "DNS Benchmark" but not sure if had the facility to
return IPs for a known website.

--
Cheers,

John.