Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

On 12 Mar 2021 at 11:27:01 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 13:58:31 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

I don't actually have space for more than 2 appliances in my kitchen -
dishwasher and fridge. But I really like a small kitchen (3mx2.8m) - but then
there's only me most of the time, and I know many don't.

My mate has a kitchen about the same size as our ground floor and I
think it's pointless. It doesn't bother them as they have a
housekeeper that does most the cooking. ;-)

Just easier to clean
and get things done.

Yup. When helping him with network stuff round the house I've walked
miles and found it all tiring. Again, they don't actually keep it
clean themselves ...

I chose a Beko
for the reason it could cope with low temperatures.

Has there always been the option to get 'cold working' freezers as if
not, how have all the 'std' freezers coped that are out in peoples
(unheated) garages and other outbuildings (I've even seen them just
outside under a simple plastic roof)?

Don't know - maybe luck, operating just within range, or when the temperature
dips the compressor cuts out, but not catastrophically (to the
freezer/refridgerant or the food)?

Yeah, you maybe right. I was just wondering if it was just marketing?

p.s. Does your Beko freezer have a metal or plastic back OOI Rob?

If it is metal, it's not magnetic - looks to be plastic.

Could be ally but if it looks plastic it probably is (and thanks for
looking). I picked up a Which think that referenced those fridges /
freezers that had plastic backs and marked them down for their
additional fire risk (over those with metal backs, however unlikely
the overall risk etc).

May I ask what model your Beko is Rob (when you go down their next
etc).

Cheers, T i m

It's a:

https://www.beko.co.uk/freezer-fxs5043-silver-white

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:35:33 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

May I ask what model your Beko is Rob (when you go down their next
etc).

It's a:

https://www.beko.co.uk/freezer-fxs5043-silver-white

Ah, thanks Rob.

That link also confirms my other question re the large 'Flame
retardant back' banner. ;-)

Looking at the picture ... something that comes to mind is that our
under counter Zanussi fridge and (separate) freezer, whilst not from
the same era, have actual handles on the door edge(s), rather than the
fingertip type along the top (as an aside, look like they would catch
all sorts of debris?).

Ironically, because I was hoping to put an 'under counter' unit 'on' a
std worktop height surface, the 'handle' would end up being quite high
up? No issue for me but wouldn't be as obvious / easy for the Mrs (as
a real handle).

Nothing stopping me 3D printing a suitable handle and sticking it on
the edge with some suitably strong double sided tape etc.

Or fitting the door on upside down, placing the handle underneath, as
it might be on a combined upright fridge / freezer (assuming any door
molding / seal / hinge-mountings would allow).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Mar 2021 at 12:05:32 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:35:33 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

May I ask what model your Beko is Rob (when you go down their next
etc).

It's a:

https://www.beko.co.uk/freezer-fxs5043-silver-white

Ah, thanks Rob.

That link also confirms my other question re the large 'Flame
retardant back' banner. ;-)

Yep, self-consciously so :-)

Looking at the picture ... something that comes to mind is that our
under counter Zanussi fridge and (separate) freezer, whilst not from
the same era, have actual handles on the door edge(s), rather than the
fingertip type along the top (as an aside, look like they would catch
all sorts of debris?).

Not noticed TBH - my fridge is similar.

Ironically, because I was hoping to put an 'under counter' unit 'on' a
std worktop height surface, the 'handle' would end up being quite high
up? No issue for me but wouldn't be as obvious / easy for the Mrs (as
a real handle).

Yes, mine's on a tumble dryer - they're quite light.

Nothing stopping me 3D printing a suitable handle and sticking it on
the edge with some suitably strong double sided tape etc.

Or fitting the door on upside down, placing the handle underneath, as
it might be on a combined upright fridge / freezer (assuming any door
molding / seal / hinge-mountings would allow).

Yes - you'd need to check quite carefully.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 13:34:35 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

Ironically, because I was hoping to put an 'under counter' unit 'on' a
std worktop height surface, the 'handle' would end up being quite high
up? No issue for me but wouldn't be as obvious / easy for the Mrs (as
a real handle).

Yes, mine's on a tumble dryer - they're quite light.

Ah, interesting, and would you say opening the door with the handle
that high is easy / intuitive? Some magnet catch / seals are very
'catchy' ... no movement of the freezer itself (even when stood on a
TD) when you open it?

Nothing stopping me 3D printing a suitable handle and sticking it on
the edge with some suitably strong double sided tape etc.

Or fitting the door on upside down, placing the handle underneath, as
it might be on a combined upright fridge / freezer (assuming any door
molding / seal / hinge-mountings would allow).

Yes - you'd need to check quite carefully.

Noted, not easy to do pre purchase.

That said, if our local whitegoods supplier is still there, that's the
sort if thing they would let me try (along with running up all the
suction cleaners to measure their sound levels). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Mar 2021 at 14:25:57 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 13:34:35 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

Ironically, because I was hoping to put an 'under counter' unit 'on' a
std worktop height surface, the 'handle' would end up being quite high
up? No issue for me but wouldn't be as obvious / easy for the Mrs (as
a real handle).

Yes, mine's on a tumble dryer - they're quite light.

Ah, interesting, and would you say opening the door with the handle
that high is easy / intuitive? Some magnet catch / seals are very
'catchy' ... no movement of the freezer itself (even when stood on a
TD) when you open it?

It'd be far too clumsy to use the handle at that height - even for a tall
person. I just pull the door open from the edge - it's quite a soft rubbery
open/close. Never even thought about it before you mentioned it!

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 17:13:22 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

Ah, interesting, and would you say opening the door with the handle
that high is easy / intuitive? Some magnet catch / seals are very
'catchy' ... no movement of the freezer itself (even when stood on a
TD) when you open it?

It'd be far too clumsy to use the handle at that height - even for a tall
person.

I felt it might be.

I just pull the door open from the edge - it's quite a soft rubbery
open/close.

The only thing with that is for the non-regulars, it's a 'Norman door'
.... and it's the same with those top / bottom handles for that matter,
unless you are looking out for the hinges (which are also sometimes
disguised behind dummy covers).

Never even thought about it before you mentioned it!

Maybe it's because I don't bite my fingernails and have damaged a few
trying to pull the wrong side of a (Norman) door open. ;-(

I might be tempted to print and fit something like this (but only
attach it with double sided tape (so it can be removed cleanly)):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2970020

Cheers, T i m