Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vaccine queue. Together we can beat this

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:21:04 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 22/02/2021 11:52, Jethro_uk wrote:

I bet this is some Yank ****e that is hardcoded with imperial into the
guts and some clunky "code whizz" layer to deal with the Metric bits.

Any why would you use cm rather than metres as the entry?

Because you are a Yank app whizz kid who think they understand metric ?

I've never understood why so many use cm. Metres and mm do well enough
here, without complicating matters.

perhaps because we were taught the cgs system at school?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
Another reason might be that the NHS uses meters and
centimetres for height.

Really? Having has this checked recently it was written down as 1.8m

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2021 14:22, soup wrote:
Around here (Balerno: outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland) even the chaps
digging the road up (I believe for Vodafone) have 'Hi-Viz vests' on,
with "KEY WORKER" emblazoned on them.
Â*Has the term become so overused it is now meaningless?

Does it trump 'engineer'?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 14:49, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 14:00:19 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:21:04 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 22/02/2021 11:52, Jethro_uk wrote:

I bet this is some Yank ****e that is hardcoded with imperial into
the guts and some clunky "code whizz" layer to deal with the Metric
bits.

Any why would you use cm rather than metres as the entry?

Because you are a Yank app whizz kid who think they understand metric ?

I've never understood why so many use cm. Metres and mm do well enough
here, without complicating matters.

To be fair imperial has the very handy "inch". With enough ambiguity in
5.1' (is that 1.2 inches, or just a plain old inch lurking in the ".1" ?)
to keep a regular supply of amusing anecdotes.

I'd not call that ambiguous. It should be 1.2", if it were meant to be
1", then it'd be 5'1"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
Another reason might be that the NHS uses meters and
centimetres for height.

Really? Having has this checked recently it was written down as 1.8m

And?

Your example is not at odds with what I said. It's all defined in the
NHS data dictionary. Both m and cm are units of measurement. NB I did
/not/ say the NHS /mixed/ m and cm within the same data element.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 15:53, R D S wrote:
On 21/02/2021 14:22, soup wrote:
Around here (Balerno: outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland) even the chaps
digging the road up (I believe for Vodafone) have 'Hi-Viz vests' on,
with "KEY WORKER" emblazoned on them.
Â*Â*Has the term become so overused it is now meaningless?

Does it trump 'engineer'?

Not often:
https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...r,key%20worker
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 16:40, Robin wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Robin wrote:
Another reason might be that the NHS uses meters and
centimetres for height.

Really? Having has this checked recently it was written down as 1.8m

And?

Your example is not at odds with what I said.Â* It's all defined in the
NHS data dictionary.Â* Both m and cm are units of measurement. NB I did
/not/ say the NHS /mixed/ m and cm within the same data element.

He's a bit odd and will soon be calling you pet if you're not careful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Forgery notice

"michael adams" wrote in message
My son is a key worker but has been refused the vaccine until later this year.

How can he get the vaccine now? For the sake of all those who depend on him. Useful
links appreciated.

To whom it may concern, and as a matter of record, I did not
post the above message.

The last genuine message I posted on this NewsGroup was at 12.35
on Friday.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 20:04, the real michael adams wrote:
"michael adams" wrote in message
My son is a key worker but has been refused the vaccine until later this year.

How can he get the vaccine now? For the sake of all those who depend on him. Useful
links appreciated.

To whom it may concern, and as a matter of record, I did not
post the above message.

The last genuine message I posted on this NewsGroup was at 12.35
on Friday.

michael adams

OK. So your son, if you have one, is not a key worker?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another article worth reading this week is Ambrose Evans-Pritchards,

ROFL. If pilchard was to be believed, civilisation would have ceased
years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 09:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

michael adams wrote:

How can he get the vaccine now?

Is he a member of a union?

The teachers' unions don't seem to have been successful in queue-jumping.

Someone leaked an access code for booking vaccinations at one of the
big London hospitals (intended for staff at that health trust) and lots
of teachers did indeed sneakily book a slot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 22/02/2021 20:04, the real michael adams wrote:
"michael adams" wrote in message
My son is a key worker but has been refused the vaccine until later this
year.

How can he get the vaccine now? For the sake of all those who depend on
him. Useful
links appreciated.

To whom it may concern, and as a matter of record, I did not
post the above message.

The last genuine message I posted on this NewsGroup was at 12.35
on Friday.

michael adams

OK. So your son, if you have one, is not a key worker?

Or, more accurately, he is not *considered* to be a key worker.

My nephew is a policeman. He and his family developed Covid last week - as
did a large number of his colleagues at the station. All of them are off
work, either still suffering from the symptoms or else in quarantine to
avoid passing it on to anyone else.

If police officers had been classed as key workers, like NHS staff are, they
would have been vaccinated weeks ago and the workforce would probably not
have developed Covid and been off work.

To my mind, anyone who comes into contact with a lot of the public, often in
situations where they are in *close* contact, maybe with suspects who are
doing their damndest to infect the police out of spite (*) should be
vaccinated as soon as a vaccine is available. I'd give up my place in the
queue (my vaccine is this Wednesday) to make way for a front-line police
officer. Detectives maybe should not go to the head of the queue because
they can take greater precautions not to be infected, and don't generally
encounter vindictive suspects.

(*) My nephew has had a lot of such encounters where prisoners have spat in
the face of officers and said " I hope you get Covid".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 11:58, alan_m wrote:
On 22/02/2021 11:33, Jethro_uk wrote:

I've started seeing quite a few posts from people in their 30s who are
being invited for a jab, and they are worried it's mistake.

Perhaps their medical records show them to be more at risk than they
think they are.

How many people in their 30's ever go to a doctor, especially
the blokes ?. I certainly didn't. Only had 4 courses of antibiotics
since the kiddy ?tetracycline stuff, and two of them were for
'tropical' ulcers, which get very nasty very quickly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

I've never understood why so many use cm. Metres and mm do well enough
here, without complicating matters.

To be fair imperial has the very handy "inch". With enough ambiguity in
5.1' (is that 1.2 inches, or just a plain old inch lurking in the ".1"
?)
to keep a regular supply of amusing anecdotes.

I'd not call that ambiguous. It should be 1.2", if it were meant to be
1", then it'd be 5'1"

1.2 inches is pretty well one attoparsec.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:21:04 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 22/02/2021 11:52, Jethro_uk wrote:

I bet this is some Yank ****e that is hardcoded with imperial into the
guts and some clunky "code whizz" layer to deal with the Metric bits.

Any why would you use cm rather than metres as the entry?

Because you are a Yank app whizz kid who think they understand metric ?

I've never understood why so many use cm. Metres and mm do well enough
here, without complicating matters.

Just two digits needed for lots of common stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've never understood why so many use cm. Metres and mm do well enough
here, without complicating matters.

Schools teach in cm. A lot of young people understand cm but not mm or
inches.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:21:04 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 22/02/2021 11:52, Jethro_uk wrote:

I bet this is some Yank ****e that is hardcoded with imperial into
the guts and some clunky "code whizz" layer to deal with the Metric
bits.

Any why would you use cm rather than metres as the entry?

Because you are a Yank app whizz kid who think they understand metric ?

I've never understood why so many use cm. Metres and mm do well enough
here, without complicating matters.

To be fair imperial has the very handy "inch". With enough ambiguity in
5.1' (is that 1.2 inches, or just a plain old inch lurking in the ".1" ?)
to keep a regular supply of amusing anecdotes.

We return to the idea of colloquial and technical units.
Once you have a decent colloquial unit - say the pint,
or mile - it becomes ****ing impossible to lose it.

We have lost both now and never did use pint much for beer.

We dont even keep the pint for milk and use the
metric conversion, its all litres or 500 or 250 ml now.

Beer was always middys, schooners, ponys etc here.
Now its mostly stubbys, long necks, twist tops.

The dim anti metric brigade forget (I do them the credit of pretending
they ever knew or cared) that one of the drivers of metrication in France
was a landscape of varying standards. Something the UK managed to avoid
at that point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 22/02/2021 11:58, alan_m wrote:
On 22/02/2021 11:33, Jethro_uk wrote:

I've started seeing quite a few posts from people in their 30s who are
being invited for a jab, and they are worried it's mistake.

Perhaps their medical records show them to be more at risk than they
think they are.

How many people in their 30's ever go to a doctor, especially the blokes
?. I certainly didn't.

I only did for the flying license renewals.

Only had 4 courses of antibiotics since the kiddy ?

I dont recall ever having any but I am rather older than you.

tetracycline stuff, and two of them were for 'tropical' ulcers, which get
very nasty very quickly.

Never had anything like that.

I did have one doctor visit in my 30s when I managed to
lock myself in the first floor flat, cant remember why and
jumped over the balcony to get out and twisted my ankle.

And when physically building the house, while pointing the
blocks well after dark walking on planks on 44 gallon drums
standing on end, managed to walk right off the end in the dark,
again just a minor sprain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 20:57, NY wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
On 22/02/2021 20:04, the real michael adams wrote:
"michael adams" wrote in message
My son is a key worker but has been refused the vaccine until later
this year.

How can he get the vaccine now?Â* For the sake of all those who
[...]

(*)Â* My nephew has had a lot of such encounters where prisoners have
spat in the face of officers and said " I hope you get Covid".

I am of the opinion that such individuals should have an anti-spit
plastic bag hermetically attached to their head for a minimum of a week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 16:35:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2021 09:57, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 03:17:40 +0000, williamwright wrote:

I've never understood why so many use cm. Metres and mm do well enough
here, without complicating matters.

Schools teach in cm. A lot of young people understand cm but not mm or
inches.

Well you start with rulers - all marked in cm ...

School rulers used to have inches and tenths on one bevelled side, and
millimetres, centimetres and decimetres the other. The decimetre part
was blank so you could write your name in Biro.

On the other side there was 1/16 and 1/12 inch, and a protractor part
that no-one used.

But (vaguely circular discussion starting) it makes **** all difference
what you actually call anything. For all I know we could have been
manufacturing and calibrating brewery kit in "568ml" units for years. How
would I every know ?

I was working in metrology when the "Metric Martyrs" were having their
time in the Sun. You have never read so much ******** in your life. Their
ultimate crime was not having type-approved scales.

(Bearing in mind in the Avery museum you had to go back to the early
1960s before you could find scales *without* metric markings ...)

I expect they had scales with separate weights.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:21:04 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 22/02/2021 11:52, Jethro_uk wrote:

I bet this is some Yank ****e that is hardcoded with imperial into the
guts and some clunky "code whizz" layer to deal with the Metric bits.

Any why would you use cm rather than metres as the entry?

Because you are a Yank app whizz kid who think they understand metric ?

I've never understood why so many use cm. Metres and mm do well enough
here, without complicating matters.

perhaps because we were taught the cgs system at school?

Could be. It was MKS when I was at school.

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
Another reason might be that the NHS uses meters and
centimetres for height.

Really? Having has this checked recently it was written down as 1.8m

And?

Your example is not at odds with what I said. It's all defined in the
NHS data dictionary. Both m and cm are units of measurement. NB I did
/not/ say the NHS /mixed/ m and cm within the same data element.

? You said the NHS used metres and centimetres for height. Does this
change when you grow to more than 1 metre? ;-)

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
Schools teach in cm. A lot of young people understand cm but not mm

Let's hope they never pick up a spanner, then.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
Another reason might be that the NHS uses meters and
centimetres for height.

Really? Having has this checked recently it was written down as 1.8m

And?

Your example is not at odds with what I said. It's all defined in the
NHS data dictionary. Both m and cm are units of measurement. NB I did
/not/ say the NHS /mixed/ m and cm within the same data element.

? You said the NHS used metres and centimetres for height. Does this
change when you grow to more than 1 metre? ;-)

And you said "metres and mm do well enough here" so will of course never
admit either you or the NHS are wrong.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
Another reason might be that the NHS uses meters and
centimetres for height.

Really? Having has this checked recently it was written down as 1.8m

And?

Your example is not at odds with what I said. It's all defined in the
NHS data dictionary. Both m and cm are units of measurement. NB I did
/not/ say the NHS /mixed/ m and cm within the same data element.

? You said the NHS used metres and centimetres for height. Does this
change when you grow to more than 1 metre? ;-)

And you said "metres and mm do well enough here" so will of course never
admit either you or the NHS are wrong.

I won't have anything bad said against the NHS. ;-)

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:18:44 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

michael adams wrote:

How can he get the vaccine now?

Is he a member of a union?

The teachers' unions don't seem to have been successful in
queue-jumping.

I'd say pressure from any body is likely to take longer to be assessed
than just waiting in the queue. I wouldn't be surprised if all adults
have at least their first jab ahead of schedule, given it isn't
actually
organised by the government in many cases.

I've started seeing quite a few posts from people in their 30s who are
being invited for a jab, and they are worried it's mistake.

It's not impossible the entire process could grind to a halt as staff
spend more time dealing with the worried well fretting over "jumping the
queue" than actually giving ****ing jabs.

And from my experience, once you are at the centre they have no idea
why.
So if you are invited, just ****ing go. Do us all a favour.

Where can my son register to jump the queue? Nurses get sandwiches from
his shop as essential food to keep them going and that makes him a key
worker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 11:24, Pamela wrote:

If Brexit has been a success then where are all its promised benefits?

The NHS has had more than 350million a week pumped into it since we left
the EU!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pamela" wrote in message
On 20:49 22 Feb 2021, Andrew said:

Another article worth reading this week is Ambrose
Evans-Pritchard's,

ROFL. If pilchard was to be believed, civilisation would have
ceased years ago.

Interesting that Ambrose Evans-Pritchard claims Brexit is a success
because he doesn't hear anyone talking about its problems.

If Brexit has been a success then where are all its promised benefits?

They are there already with the UK being able to do what it likes policy
wise and no longer having to pay the EU vast amounts of money and
can do what it likes about EU immigrants allowed into the country.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 05:32:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

They are there already with the UK being able to do what it likes policy
wise and no longer having to pay the EU vast amounts of money and
can do what it likes about EU immigrants allowed into the country.

Neither the UK nor the EU are ANY of yours, you subnormal trolling senile
swine from Oz!