Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT "Standing in a queue"

Likewise for "fortnight" - it seems that US English doesn't
use this word, and uses "two weeks" instead. I found this when
I went over to stay with my sister when she lived in Boston:
her neighbour asked me how long I was staying in Boston and
looked blankly when I replied "about a fortnight". Now I know
and have added it to my mental conversion list

a cubic metre. The difference is about the volume of 1 drop of water.

"Fortnight" is a bit illogical. We don't have a word for 3 weeks or 4 weeks
or 5 - So why for two weeks?

When I was young my parents would refer to the the time of (say) 3:35 and
"five and twenty past three".

I thought this odd even as a child. Was it common-place?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/26/2016 12:56 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:

When I was young my parents would refer to the the time of (say) 3:35 and
"five and twenty past three".

As in 'four-and-twenty blackbirds.

I thought this odd even as a child. Was it common-place?

Many years ago it was, and it still is, in German.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:56:15 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Likewise for "fortnight" - it seems that US English doesn't use
this word, and uses "two weeks" instead. I found this when I
went over to stay with my sister when she lived in Boston: her
neighbour asked me how long I was staying in Boston and looked
blankly when I replied "about a fortnight". Now I know and have
added it to my mental conversion list

a cubic metre. The difference is about the volume of 1 drop of water.

"Fortnight" is a bit illogical. We don't have a word for 3 weeks or 4
weeks or 5 - So why for two weeks?

When I was young my parents would refer to the the time of (say) 3:35
and "five and twenty past three".

I thought this odd even as a child. Was it common-place?

Ther's also 'sennight', of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager Wrote in message:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:56:15 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Likewise for "fortnight" - it seems that US English doesn't use
this word, and uses "two weeks" instead. I found this when I
went over to stay with my sister when she lived in Boston: her
neighbour asked me how long I was staying in Boston and looked
blankly when I replied "about a fortnight". Now I know and have
added it to my mental conversion list

a cubic metre. The difference is about the volume of 1 drop of water.

"Fortnight" is a bit illogical. We don't have a word for 3 weeks or 4
weeks or 5 - So why for two weeks?

When I was young my parents would refer to the the time of (say) 3:35
and "five and twenty past three".

I thought this odd even as a child. Was it common-place?

Ther's also 'sennight', of course.

Of course. (((What!!!)))
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 April 2016 17:56:19 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Likewise for "fortnight" - it seems that US English doesn't
use this word, and uses "two weeks" instead. I found this when
I went over to stay with my sister when she lived in Boston:
her neighbour asked me how long I was staying in Boston and
looked blankly when I replied "about a fortnight". Now I know
and have added it to my mental conversion list

a cubic metre. The difference is about the volume of 1 drop of water.

"Fortnight" is a bit illogical. We don't have a word for 3 weeks or 4 weeks
or 5 - So why for two weeks?

When I was young my parents would refer to the the time of (say) 3:35 and
"five and twenty past three".

I thought this odd even as a child. Was it common-place?

It would be odd.
That's five and twenty to four.
Common when I was a child too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote in
:

[...]

Whoops - Typo. 3:25 of course
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:56:15 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

"Fortnight" is a bit illogical. We don't have a word for 3 weeks or 4
weeks or 5 - So why for two weeks?

There's 'senight' in Shakespeare for one week.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/16 23:02, The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:56:15 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

"Fortnight" is a bit illogical. We don't have a word for 3 weeks or 4
weeks or 5 - So why for two weeks?

There's 'senight' in Shakespeare for one week.

presumably a corruption of seven nights as fortnight is fourteen nights

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:02:50 +0000, The Other John wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:56:15 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

"Fortnight" is a bit illogical. We don't have a word for 3 weeks or 4
weeks or 5 - So why for two weeks?

There's 'senight' in Shakespeare for one week.

I said that. But I believe it's 'sennight'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

s opposed to a calendar month.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:40:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

s opposed to a calendar month.

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote rents
as £x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:40:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

s opposed to a calendar month.

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote rents
as £x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

Take your pick.

The length of time taken by the moon to revolve once around the earth
(29.53 days), a lunar month

anomalistic month
The interval between the moon's perigee passages = 27.5545 days

sidereal or stellar month
The time in which the moon passes round the ecliptic to the same point
among the stars = 27.3217 days

solar month
One-twelfth of a solar year

synodic month
The period of the moon's phases = 29.5306 days

tropical or periodic month
The time from the moon's passing the equinox until it reaches it again =
27.3216 days

[Chambers Dictionary (iOS) © Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd.]

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 14:45:51 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

The Other John wrote:
[...]

Too much information! Let me refine my question: what other *legal/
contractual* types of month are there?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"The Other John" wrote in message
Too much information! Let me refine my question: what other *legal/
contractual* types of month are there?

a) calendar month; b) "four-week month" as used by the payroll of some older
companies

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:
[...]

Given that my ISP is happy to bill you 'lunar monthly', it is presumably
contractual.

http://aa.net.uk/legal-billing.html

(third bullet under 'Periodic billing')
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:
[...]

Any sort you care to mention in a contract. Venusian months will do
nicely. Assuming venus has months...

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 14:42:44 +0000, The Other John wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:40:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

s opposed to a calendar month.

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote
rents as £x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

Lunar months.

My ISP gives customers the choice (inter alia) of being billed per
calendar month or per lunar month...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other John
wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:40:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

s opposed to a calendar month.

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote
rents as x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

lunar ones

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"charles" wrote in message
In article , The Other John
wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:40:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

s opposed to a calendar month.

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote
rents as x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

lunar ones

I remember when the company that I worked for changed from paying people
every four weeks to paying them every calendar month. That caused a lot of
hassle when the nerds (and I worked with some real nerds!) tried to work out
whether they would be better/worse/the same after the change - not sure why
it made any difference averaged over the year. And it was a *lot* easier to
be paid on the same date each month when working out when direct debits
should be debited (just after rather than just before pay-day).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , NY
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , The Other John
wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:40:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

s opposed to a calendar month.

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote
rents as x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

lunar ones

I remember when the company that I worked for changed from paying people
every four weeks to paying them every calendar month. That caused a lot
of hassle when the nerds (and I worked with some real nerds!) tried to
work out whether they would be better/worse/the same after the change -
not sure why it made any difference averaged over the year. And it was a
*lot* easier to be paid on the same date each month when working out
when direct debits should be debited (just after rather than just before
pay-day).

My occupational pension is paid monthly - on the 15th. My State Pension
arrives every 4 weeks.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 April 2016 15:42:51 UTC+1, The Other John wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:40:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

s opposed to a calendar month.

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote rents
as x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

Administartive ones as calcluated by my mothers care home.
There are 31 days in december therefore to calculate the yearly amount
you multiply 31X12 to get teh number of days.
Then as we calculate it as a weekly amount there are 7 days in a week so each week you need to pay us, 12 X 31/7 = 53.14 weeks per year.

So it's 750 per week so that's 39,855 per year so divide that by 12 so you can pay us 3321.25 monthly and a month in advance .

It took a few 'discussions' before we convinved them that there werent; 53 weeks in a year and not every month had 31 days in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave writes
On Wednesday, 27 April 2016 15:42:51 UTC+1, The Other John wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:40:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

s opposed to a calendar month.

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote rents
as x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

Administartive ones as calcluated by my mothers care home.
There are 31 days in december therefore to calculate the yearly amount
you multiply 31X12 to get teh number of days.
Then as we calculate it as a weekly amount there are 7 days in a week
so each week you need to pay us, 12 X 31/7 = 53.14 weeks per year.

So it's 750 per week so that's 39,855 per year so divide that by 12
so you can pay us 3321.25 monthly and a month in advance .

It took a few 'discussions' before we convinved them that there werent;
53 weeks in a year and not every month had 31 days in it.

A good illustration of the level of people running care homes.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 April 2016 14:56:42 UTC+1, bert wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave writes
[...]

And most administrative processes it;s even wore here at times.
I'm hoping the medical care is better than their admin but if they are paying minimuim wage or now living wage to those carers and nurses what are the admin on I'd say triple living wage as the minium that's what it's like here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:48:28 +0100, bert wrote:

In article ,
whisky-dave writes
[...]

Level of honesty and morality, that is.