Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimp connectors

I'm having some difficulty getting a decent join connecting 2 bits of 80
strand speaker cable using my cheap but reasonable (CPC IIRC, and the crimps)
crimp connectors. The wire, or rather one side, is quite easy to pull from the
connector. I've tried adjusting the tool and various permutations, but it's
looking like solder, as this bloke found too:

https://youtu.be/nvPESov0HbY
(from about 5.30)

I've used them before on solid cable and they seemed fine. Not sure why
they're not working now . . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I'm having some difficulty getting a decent join connecting 2 bits of 80
strand speaker cable using my cheap but reasonable (CPC IIRC, and the crimps)
crimp connectors. The wire, or rather one side, is quite easy to pull from the
connector. I've tried adjusting the tool and various permutations, but it's
looking like solder, as this bloke found too:

https://youtu.be/nvPESov0HbY
(from about 5.30)

I've used them before on solid cable and they seemed fine. Not sure why
they're not working now . . .

These universal crimps (red bluse and yellow) are the spawn of the devil.

Make one using the very best tool and then cut off the insulation. And
compare the crimp to a proper one, done with a heart shaped tool on the
metal of the terminal.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

RJH wrote:

I'm having some difficulty getting a decent join connecting 2 bits of 80
strand speaker cable using my cheap but reasonable (CPC IIRC, and the crimps)
These universal crimps (red bluse and yellow) are the spawn of the devil.

Looking through my sortacases, I've got various examples of crimp connectors

the insulated red/blue/yellow (whether spade, ring, bullet or
butt-splice) and their uninsulated cousins tend to be folded to form the
section that will crimp onto the wires.

But bootlace ferrules (and just a couple of better quality looking
butt-splice connectors) seem to use a drawn tube, rather than folded.

For fine-stranded cables, I'd expect a lot more "give" in the bundle of
conductors, so the split/folded crimps to more easily spring back and
give a less good connection?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 11:27:07 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I'm having some difficulty getting a decent join connecting 2 bits of
80 strand speaker cable using my cheap but reasonable (CPC IIRC, and
the crimps) crimp connectors. The wire, or rather one side, is quite
easy to pull from the connector. I've tried adjusting the tool and
various permutations, but it's looking like solder, as this bloke found
too:

https://youtu.be/nvPESov0HbY (from about 5.30)

I've used them before on solid cable and they seemed fine. Not sure why
they're not working now . . .

These universal crimps (red bluse and yellow) are the spawn of the
devil.

Make one using the very best tool and then cut off the insulation. And
compare the crimp to a proper one, done with a heart shaped tool on the
metal of the terminal.

I have never had any trouble, providing one uses the correct crimp.
Obviously a crimp for 70/0076 would not fit 14/0076 wire...be like a prick
in a bonnet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
[...]

A decent crimp attempts to make a gas tight seal between terminal and
conductor. Simply crushing something flat can't get near acheiving this.
I've come across lots of those pre-insulated crimps used on old cars and
being the source of the problem - apart from looking like a bodge. They
may work better on single strand wire, though. But I've never needed to
use them on domestic wiring.

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 14:58:43 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

RJH wrote:
[...]

I have put crimps on my speaker wires and various mains terminal blocks in
the past and it has been quite successful. I have a range of cable crimps,
including double ended in line connector, round, male spade, pin and
female spade. These are all with coloured insulated collars. These crimp
pliers do not crush flat, but they apply a semi folding action to shorten
the compression ring circumference. I have used these on cars in the past
when fitting accessories and never had trouble. One of my crimpers can
also use extended ferrule crimps to clamp over the cable insulation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/02/2021 11:08, RJH wrote:
I'm having some difficulty getting a decent join connecting 2 bits of 80
strand speaker cable using my cheap but reasonable (CPC IIRC, and the crimps)
crimp connectors. The wire, or rather one side, is quite easy to pull from the
connector. I've tried adjusting the tool and various permutations, but it's
looking like solder, as this bloke found too:

https://youtu.be/nvPESov0HbY
(from about 5.30)

I've used them before on solid cable and they seemed fine. Not sure why
they're not working now . . .

Because the thicko had the crimps the wrong way around?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2021 11:08, RJH wrote:
I'm having some difficulty getting a decent join connecting 2 bits of 80
strand speaker cable using my cheap but reasonable (CPC IIRC, and the crimps)
crimp connectors. The wire, or rather one side, is quite easy to pull from the
connector. I've tried adjusting the tool and various permutations, but it's
looking like solder, as this bloke found too:

https://youtu.be/nvPESov0HbY
(from about 5.30)

I've used them before on solid cable and they seemed fine. Not sure why
they're not working now . . .

For a join like this I'd normally go for solder plus heat shrink, 100%
reliable and neater if done carefully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jon wrote:
[...]

Can you point me at a crimper for those red blue and yellow pre-insulated
crimps that doesn't just simply flatten the terminal? As I said, to see
what they do to the actual terminal, you need to remove the insulation
after crimping. And compare it to a crimp made with a decent heart shaped
tool.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it