Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Default using crimp-on electrical connectors

Doing wiring around the house with small (20-16ga) wires on the cars,
mowers, etc, I would like to use the crimp-on connectors.

When I squeeze them hard with pliers, the wires still have a tendency to
slip out.

Is there a better way to do install those crimp-ons than using pliers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:30:23 -0500, "rb" wrote:

Doing wiring around the house with small (20-16ga) wires on the cars,
mowers, etc, I would like to use the crimp-on connectors.

When I squeeze them hard with pliers, the wires still have a tendency to
slip out.

Is there a better way to do install those crimp-ons than using pliers?

A crimping tool would be high on my list.

A good quality crimper is far better than pliers.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
Doing wiring around the house with small (20-16ga) wires on the cars,
mowers, etc, I would like to use the crimp-on connectors.

When I squeeze them hard with pliers, the wires still have a tendency to
slip out.

Is there a better way to do install those crimp-ons than using pliers?

Crimps can be incredibly secure. The problem is finding a good crimping
tool. The ones sold at places like Home Depot or Lowe's are crap. They
usually have two slim, flat jaws that do nothing but squeeze the connectors
in a way that's not much better than pliers. What you want is a tool that
has a groove on one side that holds the crimp in place, and a "tooth" sort
of thing on the other that makes an indentation in the connector, almost as
if you'd pressed the connector with an awl whose point had been rounded off.

I don't have time at the moment to find you a link, but poke around at
www.panduit.com for crimp tools. If you find some, but they don't show a
closeup picture of the tool's jaws, let me know and I'll post a picture. The
tool I have came from Mac Tools, but a very quick look at their site
suggests that they don't make them any more.

By the way, Panduit makes the best crimp connectors in the known universe.
No matter how expensive they seem, they are worth the money, especially if
you're obsessive-compulsive and have nightmares about electrical failures
harming your family.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
Doing wiring around the house with small (20-16ga) wires on the cars,
mowers, etc, I would like to use the crimp-on connectors.

When I squeeze them hard with pliers, the wires still have a tendency to
slip out.

Is there a better way to do install those crimp-ons than using pliers?

You use whatever crimping tool is specified by the manufacturer of the
connector.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I normally use channel locks to "crimp" it, then I solder it. Mine
never slip out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I normally use channel locks to "crimp" it, then I solder it. Mine
never slip out.

You solder after putting on a crimp connector? How??? Or, are you crimping
bare wires, and then soldering? How do you cover the connection after
soldering?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
Doing wiring around the house with small (20-16ga) wires on the cars,
mowers, etc, I would like to use the crimp-on connectors.

When I squeeze them hard with pliers, the wires still have a tendency to
slip out.

Is there a better way to do install those crimp-ons than using pliers?

Use the kind of pliers that are designed for crimping. Something like the
Sta-kon WT111M . Also use the correct size connectors and stranded wires.
They will not hold very well on soild wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb, 6/28/2007,6:30:23 PM, wrote:

Doing wiring around the house with small (20-16ga) wires on the cars,
mowers, etc, I would like to use the crimp-on connectors.

When I squeeze them hard with pliers, the wires still have a tendency
to slip out.

Is there a better way to do install those crimp-ons than using pliers?

In another life I was an electronic technician and had all the tools I
needed for making such connections. Of course the preferred method is
to solder the wires and cover with heat shrink. However I know using
butt splices are more convenient. Also if you use a terminal lug to
connect the wire to a screw you will need to crimp on the connector.

As has been said you should use the proper crimping tool but sans that
there are pliers with a notch in them that will hold the splice and a
tooth on the other side to press the opposite side down into the wire
for a strong, secure connection. One such type I've had for years and
find invaluable is the Thomas & Betts Multi-Crimp Tool. Here is a
knockoff for $10 that should be in everyone's tool bag. It's the
second tool down the page.
http://www.starkelectronic.com/eclcrimp.htm and a close-up picture
he
http://www.eclipsetools.com/ProductP...gs/100-039.JPG
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
rb, 6/28/2007,6:30:23 PM, wrote:

[...]

That's a good tool. It appears to have different size channels to match
various crimp sizes. Without that arrangement, a crimp tool is almost
worthless.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:25:07 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message
.. .
rb, 6/28/2007,6:30:23 PM, wrote:

[...]

Next to the picture, it says "The actual tool looks different now. It
is thinner and has only one crimp cavity"

I know they don't meet pro standards but I have 2 or 3 of these from
JCWhitney
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/S...&searchbtn.y=0

It's 4.50 now, and it has 2 or 3 crimping cavities, 5 or 6 wire
stripping cavities, 5 screw-in screw cutting holes, and wire cutters
at the front end.

10 or 15 years ago they were selling a plastic comnpartment box of
assorted crimp-on connectors, along with one crimper, for something
like 3 or 4 dollars, iirc. They would have incredible discounts
sometimes.

It's made from flat-stock, and certainly isn't Deluxe as it is
labeled, but it's worked fine.

I don't always crimp, sometimes I solder, even if it melts the plastic
sleeve, and I think sometimes I have crimped and soldered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What I do, I slide the plastic sleeve back onto the wire before I
crimp.

Then, I solder.

Slide the plastic sleeve forward.

Slip on heat shrink tubing.

Heat shrink the tubing.

Couple layers of electrical tape over the heat shrink.

Duct tape over that.

Dry ( unlubricated ) condom rolled over the duct tape.

Plastic bread bag goes over all this.

Rubber bands to hold the bread bag.

Nylon tie straps to hold the rubber bands.

Stainless steel automotive hose clamp to hold the nylon tie
straps.

Never had this fail, once. Now, what were we doing?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
: wrote in message
: ups.com...
: I normally use channel locks to "crimp" it, then I solder it.
Mine
: never slip out.
:
:
: You solder after putting on a crimp connector? How??? Or, are
you crimping
: bare wires, and then soldering? How do you cover the connection
after
: soldering?
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!
I've been revealed as an amateur!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
: Never had this fail, once. Now, what were we doing?
:
:
:
: Tape. Amateur.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 7:54 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
What I do, I slide the plastic sleeve back onto the wire before I
crimp.

Then, I solder.

Slide the plastic sleeve forward.

Slip on heat shrink tubing.

Heat shrink the tubing.

Couple layers of electrical tape over the heat shrink.

Duct tape over that.

Dry ( unlubricated ) condom rolled over the duct tape.

Plastic bread bag goes over all this.

Rubber bands to hold the bread bag.

Nylon tie straps to hold the rubber bands.

Stainless steel automotive hose clamp to hold the nylon tie
straps.

Never had this fail, once. Now, what were we doing?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

-- Dry ( unlubricated ) condom rolled over the duct tape.

This can't possibly work. You'd need to put a hole in the condom to
slip it over the wires and then you'd end up with a bunch of little
baby wires running all around the place.

I think you made that all up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

when i criimp them on,i usually solder it also. i dont like comebacks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

when i criimp them on,i usually solder it also. i dont like comebacks.

If you don't like comebacks, crimp it properly with the correct tool,
and *do not* solder. Solder makes a crimp connection brittle, and
vibration makes brittle things crack. Soldering a crimp connector is a
widespread practice, but it makes the connection less reliable, not
more, as long as the connector is sized correctly for the wire and
crimped with the correct tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

when i criimp them on,i usually solder it also. i dont like comebacks.

If you don't like comebacks, crimp it properly with the correct tool,
and *do not* solder. Solder makes a crimp connection brittle, and
vibration makes brittle things crack. Soldering a crimp connector is a
widespread practice, but it makes the connection less reliable, not
more, as long as the connector is sized correctly for the wire and
crimped with the correct tool.

You're right. I've got crimped connections on my boat, some exposed to the
elements (although I enclosed them with two applications of heat shrink
tubing). Eight years, no problems. No solder.

Furthermore, the best crimps (like Panduit) are made in a way that you
cannot remove the plastic sleeve. You're not supposed to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, a hole in the condom allows electrons to swim out.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ups.com...