Posted to alt.home.repair

Default using crimp-on electrical connectors

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

when i criimp them on,i usually solder it also. i dont like comebacks.

If you don't like comebacks, crimp it properly with the correct tool,
and *do not* solder. Solder makes a crimp connection brittle, and
vibration makes brittle things crack. Soldering a crimp connector is a
widespread practice, but it makes the connection less reliable, not
more, as long as the connector is sized correctly for the wire and
crimped with the correct tool.

You're right. I've got crimped connections on my boat, some exposed to the
elements (although I enclosed them with two applications of heat shrink
tubing). Eight years, no problems. No solder.

Furthermore, the best crimps (like Panduit) are made in a way that you
cannot remove the plastic sleeve. You're not supposed to.