Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default to crimp or not to crimp ?

....that is the question.
I'm at the stage of wiring up the control & power boxes for my homebuilt
kiln. Uses a couple of 40A contactors, some low-current switching
relays, a homebuilt over-temperature 'safety' circuit and a commercial
kiln controller module.

The heavy-duty stuff is din-rail mounted - max current is c. 30A @ 240v.

Just wondering - is it preferable to terminate the wiring into the
din-rail-mounted components with crimp-on ferrules (I have the proper
ratchet crimp-tool) in order to keep things neat & tidy - or wouldn't
you bother ?

The wiring will be a mix of flexible multi-strand and 'standard' mains
cable...

Instinct says 'crimp it' - as it's not a lot more effort, and reduces
the risk of stray strands of wire hanging about...

Thanks in advance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2014 17:28, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
...that is the question.
I'm at the stage of wiring up the control & power boxes for my homebuilt
kiln. Uses a couple of 40A contactors, some low-current switching
relays, a homebuilt over-temperature 'safety' circuit and a commercial
kiln controller module.

The heavy-duty stuff is din-rail mounted - max current is c. 30A @ 240v.

Just wondering - is it preferable to terminate the wiring into the
din-rail-mounted components with crimp-on ferrules (I have the proper
ratchet crimp-tool) in order to keep things neat & tidy - or wouldn't
you bother ?

The wiring will be a mix of flexible multi-strand and 'standard' mains
cable...

Instinct says 'crimp it' - as it's not a lot more effort, and reduces
the risk of stray strands of wire hanging about...

Ferrules are a good idea for when you want multi strand wire into a
screwed connection. Not necessary for the solid core.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2014 18:34, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Thanks John!
I guess that if there's a solid core plus a multi-strand in the same
connection then it's ok to ferrule the multi but not the solid core ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Ferrules are a good idea for when you want multi strand wire into a
screwed connection. Not necessary for the solid core.

Thanks John!
I guess that if there's a solid core plus a multi-strand in the same
connection then it's ok to ferrule the multi but not the solid core ?

Trying to put more than one ferrule terminated cable under a single
screw is, I think, a bad idea.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2014 19:43, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

If you have the terminal capacity, and do them up tight.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 23:58:43 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

[...]

I find that when flexes are ferruled in a 13A plug, the screw seems to
need re-tightening after a while because the ferrule "gives" a little.
This doesn't happen nearly as much if the un-ferruled copper is
doubled over and pushed in the terminal in the time honoured way.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Solder or crimp ?? Stormin Mormon[_10_] Home Repair 107 January 1st 14 02:39 PM
Crimp without crimp tool ? Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 39 May 5th 13 02:18 PM
crimp terminals Fred UK diy 12 November 15th 10 12:14 PM
Can you crimp more than 2 cables? Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 14 July 26th 10 10:10 AM
Remove crimp from PEX? Noozer Home Repair 3 July 12th 06 06:07 AM