Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default to crimp or not to crimp ?

On 01/02/2014 18:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/02/2014 17:28, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
...that is the question.
I'm at the stage of wiring up the control & power boxes for my homebuilt
kiln. Uses a couple of 40A contactors, some low-current switching
relays, a homebuilt over-temperature 'safety' circuit and a commercial
kiln controller module.

The heavy-duty stuff is din-rail mounted - max current is c. 30A @ 240v.

Just wondering - is it preferable to terminate the wiring into the
din-rail-mounted components with crimp-on ferrules (I have the proper
ratchet crimp-tool) in order to keep things neat & tidy - or wouldn't
you bother ?

The wiring will be a mix of flexible multi-strand and 'standard' mains
cable...

Instinct says 'crimp it' - as it's not a lot more effort, and reduces
the risk of stray strands of wire hanging about...

Ferrules are a good idea for when you want multi strand wire into a
screwed connection. Not necessary for the solid core.

Thanks John!
I guess that if there's a solid core plus a multi-strand in the same
connection then it's ok to ferrule the multi but not the solid core ?