Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimp connectors

In article ,
jon wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 11:27:07 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I'm having some difficulty getting a decent join connecting 2 bits of
80 strand speaker cable using my cheap but reasonable (CPC IIRC, and
the crimps) crimp connectors. The wire, or rather one side, is quite
easy to pull from the connector. I've tried adjusting the tool and
various permutations, but it's looking like solder, as this bloke found
too:

https://youtu.be/nvPESov0HbY (from about 5.30)

I've used them before on solid cable and they seemed fine. Not sure why
they're not working now . . .

These universal crimps (red bluse and yellow) are the spawn of the
devil.

Make one using the very best tool and then cut off the insulation. And
compare the crimp to a proper one, done with a heart shaped tool on the
metal of the terminal.

I have never had any trouble, providing one uses the correct crimp.
Obviously a crimp for 70/0076 would not fit 14/0076 wire...be like a
prick in a bonnet.

A decent crimp attempts to make a gas tight seal between terminal and
conductor. Simply crushing something flat can't get near acheiving this.
I've come across lots of those pre-insulated crimps used on old cars and
being the source of the problem - apart from looking like a bodge. They
may work better on single strand wire, though. But I've never needed to
use them on domestic wiring.

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.