Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimp connectors

In article ,
jon wrote:
A decent crimp attempts to make a gas tight seal between terminal and
conductor. Simply crushing something flat can't get near acheiving this.
I've come across lots of those pre-insulated crimps used on old cars and
being the source of the problem - apart from looking like a bodge. They
may work better on single strand wire, though. But I've never needed to
use them on domestic wiring.

I have put crimps on my speaker wires and various mains terminal blocks
in the past and it has been quite successful. I have a range of cable
crimps, including double ended in line connector, round, male spade,
pin and female spade. These are all with coloured insulated collars.
These crimp pliers do not crush flat, but they apply a semi folding
action to shorten the compression ring circumference. I have used these
on cars in the past when fitting accessories and never had trouble. One
of my crimpers can also use extended ferrule crimps to clamp over the
cable insulation.

Can you point me at a crimper for those red blue and yellow pre-insulated
crimps that doesn't just simply flatten the terminal? As I said, to see
what they do to the actual terminal, you need to remove the insulation
after crimping. And compare it to a crimp made with a decent heart shaped
tool.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.