Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimp connectors

Dave Plowman wrote:

RJH wrote:

I'm having some difficulty getting a decent join connecting 2 bits of 80
strand speaker cable using my cheap but reasonable (CPC IIRC, and the crimps)
These universal crimps (red bluse and yellow) are the spawn of the devil.

Looking through my sortacases, I've got various examples of crimp connectors

the insulated red/blue/yellow (whether spade, ring, bullet or
butt-splice) and their uninsulated cousins tend to be folded to form the
section that will crimp onto the wires.

But bootlace ferrules (and just a couple of better quality looking
butt-splice connectors) seem to use a drawn tube, rather than folded.

For fine-stranded cables, I'd expect a lot more "give" in the bundle of
conductors, so the split/folded crimps to more easily spring back and
give a less good connection?