Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT the BBC prime time.

Good on them, then. That's you sorted. You can watch it 24/7 and not worry
about ever watching the BBC.

people think the day to day content is worth that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Good on them, then. That's you sorted. You can watch it 24/7 and not worry
about ever watching the BBC.

people think the day to day content is worth that.

Make the NHS subscription voluntary and see how many would pay it.

-

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
michael adams wrote:
You're just repeating what Dave and everybody else claims. All based
on a couple of newspapaer articles from what I can see.

and it doesn't scale.

Talking Pictures TV runs 24/7. BBC4 runs only 8 and a half hours a day
- 7.pm to 3.30 - Saturday night Sunday morning. You're right it doesn;t
scale !

Talking Pictures a.k.a Renown Films offers a whole catalogue of film
compiliations

https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/shop/

Good on them, then. That's you sorted. You can watch it 24/7 and not worry
about ever watching the BBC.

Well done. It seems that BBC training is paying off after all.

So that while you may have been off sick, or asleep at the back
of the class on the day they gave the "Purposes of the BBC" lecture
it seems you were clearly paying attention for the lecture on "Dealing
with Licence Payers and other memebers of the public".

Main points: 1: Totally misrepresent anything they say and at all costs
avoid answering any actual questions. 2: Never admit that the BBC
are ever in the wrong about anything. 3: Always adopt a superior and
patronising attitude leaving these people in no doubt as to the
contempt in which they are actually held. 4: Brook no arguments making
it clear they can either take it or leave it.

No wonder you passed the interview, you were almost made for the job.

Recorded the last two episodes of "Spiral" last night on BBC4. Guess what
programme was on immediately afterwards ? Four words. First letters "T".
"O","T","P".

Go on guess!

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Well done. It seems that BBC training is paying off after all.

So that while you may have been off sick, or asleep at the back
of the class on the day they gave the "Purposes of the BBC" lecture
it seems you were clearly paying attention for the lecture on "Dealing
with Licence Payers and other memebers of the public".

Dear Micheal. When I was on the BBC induction course it had one TV service
in B&W and three radio.

I'm sure you would like to go back to those days too? Nothing can ever
change in your little world?

--
*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Recorded the last two episodes of "Spiral" last night on BBC4. Guess what
programme was on immediately afterwards ? Four words. First letters "T".
"O","T","P".

I know your thinking is about as stable as a butterfly in a hurricane, but
if you are recording something, why does it matter what is on afterwards?

Unless catching a few frames of Pan's People sullies your perfect mind?

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Recorded the last two episodes of "Spiral" last night on BBC4. Guess what
programme was on immediately afterwards ? Four words. First letters "T".
"O","T","P".

I know your thinking is about as stable as a butterfly in a hurricane, but
if you are recording something, why does it matter what is on afterwars

But why are they broadcasting repeats of "Top of the Pops" from 1990, on
BBC4, their most prestigeous channel, in the first place ?

Now don't forget your training !

" Totally misrepresent anything they say and at all costs avoid answering
any actual questions. "

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Well done. It seems that BBC training is paying off after all.

So that while you may have been off sick, or asleep at the back
of the class on the day they gave the "Purposes of the BBC" lecture
it seems you were clearly paying attention for the lecture on "Dealing
with Licence Payers and other memebers of the public".

Dear Micheal. When I was on the BBC induction course it had one TV service
in B&W and three radio.

The three functions of the BBC, to inform, to educate and to entertain were
first laid down by John, later Lord Reith; who was Director General of the
BBC from 1922 to 1938.

I'm sure you would like to go back to those days too? Nothing can ever
change in your little world?

Are you saying those same principles don't apply to the BBC today ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Recorded the last two episodes of "Spiral" last night on BBC4. Guess
what programme was on immediately afterwards ? Four words. First
letters "T". "O","T","P".

I know your thinking is about as stable as a butterfly in a hurricane,
but if you are recording something, why does it matter what is on
afterwars

But why are they broadcasting repeats of "Top of the Pops" from 1990, on
BBC4, their most prestigeous channel, in the first place ?

BBC4 might be cslled a "Minority" channel, but who has suggested it's the
most prestigious. A suggestion: those who used to watch TOTP in 1990 are
now 30 years older and are deing reminded of their youth?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

Good on them, then. That's you sorted. You can watch it 24/7 and not
worry
about ever watching the BBC.

people think the day to day content is worth that.

many would opt out

and then try and get their "BBC" content some other way

waiting a few moths until it appears on a UKTV channel for example

A BBC sub service is a non-starter because £157 wouldn't be enough and the
required (say) 400 pounds would be too much for many diehards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
[...]

it was nearly midnight

who watches BBC4 at midnight?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Well done. It seems that BBC training is paying off after all.

So that while you may have been off sick, or asleep at the back of the
class on the day they gave the "Purposes of the BBC" lecture it seems
you were clearly paying attention for the lecture on "Dealing with
Licence Payers and other memebers of the public".

Dear Micheal. When I was on the BBC induction course it had one TV
service in B&W and three radio.

The three functions of the BBC, to inform, to educate and to entertain
were first laid down by John, later Lord Reith; who was Director General
of the BBC from 1922 to 1938.

I'm sure you would like to go back to those days too? Nothing can ever
change in your little world?

Are you saying those same principles don't apply to the BBC today ?

Their function is whatever the current Government issued licence says it
is. I haven't read it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2021 16:08, tim... wrote:

"michael adams" wrote in message

snip

it was nearly midnight

who watches BBC4 at midnight?

Dunno. But someone must or the BBC is wasting mone..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
The three functions of the BBC, to inform, to educate and to entertain
were first laid down by John, later Lord Reith; who was Director General
of the BBC from 1922 to 1938.

Glory be. Nothing should ever change in your little world.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:

wrote:
Recorded the last two episodes of "Spiral" last night on BBC4. Guess
what programme was on immediately afterwards ? Four words. First
letters "T". "O","T","P".

I know your thinking is about as stable as a butterfly in a hurricane,
but if you are recording something, why does it matter what is on
afterwars

But why are they broadcasting repeats of "Top of the Pops" from 1990, on
BBC4, their most prestigeous channel, in the first place ?

BBC4 might be cslled a "Minority" channel, but who has suggested it's the
most prestigious. A suggestion: those who used to watch TOTP in 1990 are
now 30 years older and are deing reminded of their youth?

I'd guess our Michael is something of a snob. Likely complains when R3
plays any music less than 200 years old too.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
I watch a film/drama for the story (and once you know it, you know it)

That's the beauty of getting old. You can watch something again you know
you've watched but can't remember the plot.

well I do watch things again that I've forgotten from 20 years ago

just not from last month

I do watch a microscopic subset of stuff like Foyle's Law more
than once and with a smaller gap than 20 years but nothing else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 05:15:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
[...]

I don't watch any broadcast TV live except election evening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 31/01/2021 16:08, tim... wrote:

"michael adams" wrote in message

snip

it was nearly midnight

who watches BBC4 at midnight?

Dunno. But someone must or the BBC is wasting mone..

Nope, plenty record stuff that isnt broadcast
when they find it convenient to watch it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message

wrote:
Recorded the last two episodes of "Spiral" last night on BBC4. Guess
what programme was on immediately afterwards ? Four words. First
letters "T". "O","T","P".

I know your thinking is about as stable as a butterfly in a hurricane,
but if you are recording something, why does it matter what is on
afterwars

But why are they broadcasting repeats of "Top of the Pops" from 1990, on
BBC4, their most prestigeous channel, in the first place ?

BBC4 might be cslled a "Minority" channel, but who has suggested it's the
most prestigious.

Channels featuring documentaries concerned with the arts, history etc and
foreign language programing are normally considered more prestigious
than channels featuring soaps and game shows.

A suggestion: those who used to watch TOTP in 1990 are
now 30 years older and are deing reminded of their youth?

A suggestion: maybe BBC4 could host weekly repeats of the "Teletubbies"
52 weeks of the year as well. So that a different generation could
be reminded of *their* childhood ?

In fact why stop there ? All old programming will remind someone
or other of their lost childhood, youth, early married years; even
in older viewers their *lost* middle ages.

Why not just turn BBC4 completely over to repeats of any old rubbish
24/7 ?

As, as you rightly point out, its bound to remind viewers of something !

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 08:29:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message ...

"michael adams" wrote in message

Recorded the last two episodes of "Spiral" last night on BBC4. Guess what
programme was on immediately afterwards ? Four words. First letters "T".
"O","T","P".

it was nearly midnight

11.p.m actually. Spiral ran from 9 - 11 pm.

who watches BBC4 at midnight?*

I didn't say it was *only* broadcast at that time did I ?

Why not check out the Friday evening schedules for 9.00 pm
BBC4 for say the past 52 weeks, and then get back to me.

For one.

michael adams

* Midnight would be an ideal time to broadcast otherwise unobtainable
BBC archive material which people could record off air. Instead of which
guess what ?

** The fact that pop music, unlike painting, sculpture, architecture
etc is primarily an audible rather than a visual appears to have gone
straight over peoples heads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

If such principles no longer apply to the BBC, as distinct from commercial
broadcasters, then there's no real justification for its continued existence
or for the licence fee, is there ?

michael adams

from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
The three functions of the BBC, to inform, to educate and to entertain
were first laid down by John, later Lord Reith; who was Director General
of the BBC from 1922 to 1938.

Glory be. Nothing should ever change in your little world.

So what is *your* justification for the licence fee ?

Apart from paying your pension, obviously.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

BBC4 might be cslled a "Minority" channel, but who has suggested it's the
most prestigious. A suggestion: those who used to watch TOTP in 1990 are
now 30 years older and are deing reminded of their youth?

I'd guess our Michael is something of a snob. Likely complains when R3
plays any music less than 200 years old too.

Well done: it's nice to see a bit of the old corporate solidarity
there. Some things don't change, at least.

To repeat - [when dealing with the great unwashed]

Main points: 1: Totally misrepresent anything they say and at all costs
avoid answering any actual questions. 2: Never admit that the BBC
are ever in the wrong about anything. 3: Always adopt a superior and
patronising attitude leaving these people in no doubt as to the
contempt in which they are actually held. 4: Brook no arguments making
it clear they can either take it or leave it.

Soory I forgot no 5.

5. It is your duty as a BBC employee to actively support any fellow BBC
employee who may be experiencing difficulties in dealing with outsiders
i.e licence payers or members of the public generally.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 09:36:01 -0000, tim... wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:58:24 -0000, tim... wrote:

The Mallorca Files is back next week - all a bit formulaic though

Is that a repeat?

nope

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Good, thanks. I've set it to record, just in case.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
The three functions of the BBC, to inform, to educate and to entertain
were first laid down by John, later Lord Reith; who was Director General
of the BBC from 1922 to 1938.

Glory be. Nothing should ever change in your little world.

So what is *your* justification for the licence fee ?

It's worth it just for R4.

Apart from paying your pension, obviously.

I don't have a BBC pension. It comes from what was an ITV company. Where
you pay more for the programmes, but in an indirect way.

michael adams

*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* michael adams wrote:
[...]

people who cant sleep

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2021 16:05, charles wrote:

wrote:
Recorded the last two episodes of "Spiral" last night on BBC4. Guess
what programme was on immediately afterwards ? Four words. First
letters "T". "O","T","P".

I know your thinking is about as stable as a butterfly in a hurricane,
but if you are recording something, why does it matter what is on
afterwars

But why are they broadcasting repeats of "Top of the Pops" from 1990, on
BBC4, their most prestigeous channel, in the first place ?

BBC4 might be cslled a "Minority" channel, but who has suggested it's the
most prestigious. A suggestion: those who used to watch TOTP in 1990 are
now 30 years older and are deing reminded of their youth?

we watched TOTP because there was **** all else on

Today its not even worth noting in passing

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

So what is *your* justification for the licence fee ?

It's worth it just for R4.

I see.

Pop music was mainly produced by male singers and groups and
bought for what the music sounded like not for what the singers
or groups looked like. In the main it was only teenage girls who
were were that interseted in what the pop singers actually looked
like.

So that nothing would be lost if they replaced a lot of the
programmes on R4, with old repeats of "Top of the Pops", freeing
up slots on BBC4, but in sound only. It would certainly work
out a lot cheaper as well.

Apart from paying your pension, obviously.

I don't have a BBC pension. It comes from what was an ITV company. Where
you pay more for the programmes, but in an indirect way.

Fair enough, presumably it was transferred when you jumped ship.
Not that it's any of my business in the first place.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

So what is *your* justification for the licence fee ?

It's worth it just for R4.

I see.

Pop music was mainly produced by male singers and groups and
bought for what the music sounded like not for what the singers
or groups looked like. In the main it was only teenage girls who
were were that interseted in what the pop singers actually looked
like.
So that nothing would be lost if they replaced a lot of the
programmes on R4, with old repeats of "Top of the Pops", freeing
up slots on BBC4, but in sound only. It would certainly work
out a lot cheaper as well.

Do you actually know the costs of repeating a TV performance on radio,
sound only? I don't. And I'll bet neither do you. Nor do you likely know
the budget for the various R4 programmes either.
Just about all your posts about this are based on wild guesses. Repeating
any copyright material is a minefield. With broadcasters having different
agreements.

Apart from paying your pension, obviously.

I don't have a BBC pension. It comes from what was an ITV company.
Where you pay more for the programmes, but in an indirect way.

Fair enough, presumably it was transferred when you jumped ship.

Jumped ship? I moved to a much better and more satisfying job. And never
ever regretted it. Doesn't mean I therefore started hating the BBC.

FWIW, I was given a projected actual figure I'd get as a pension - with
the BBC one frozen - at retirement. In those days you couldn't transfer a
pension. Decided to withdraw it and use it to help pay for works on this
house - to reduce borrowing at those times of high interest rates. And
made up my 'ITV' pension via AVCs to compensate for those lost years, as
it were, when I could afford to. Best decision I ever made.

Not that it's any of my business in the first place.

It may help counteract the stories here of all company pensions being a
ripoff of one sort or another - and better left to the independent private
sector.

michael adams

*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

TOT Amazon prime Rod Speed UK diy 2 December 5th 18 04:31 PM
TOT Amazon prime JoeJoe UK diy 0 December 4th 18 09:30 PM
TOT Amazon prime alan_m UK diy 0 December 4th 18 04:30 PM
TOT Sub prime mortgages alan_m UK diy 15 April 25th 16 11:52 AM
Window sills: Prime, Paint Caulk or Prime Caulk Paint? Alan Smithee Home Repair 4 April 18th 05 04:03 PM