Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT the BBC prime time.

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
michael adams wrote:

So what is *your* justification for the licence fee ?

It's worth it just for R4.

I see.

Pop music was mainly produced by male singers and groups and
bought for what the music sounded like not for what the singers
or groups looked like. In the main it was only teenage girls who
were were that interseted in what the pop singers actually looked
like.
So that nothing would be lost if they replaced a lot of the
programmes on R4, with old repeats of "Top of the Pops", freeing
up slots on BBC4, but in sound only. It would certainly work
out a lot cheaper as well.

Do you actually know the costs of repeating a TV performance on radio,
sound only? I don't. And I'll bet neither do you. Nor do you likely know
the budget for the various R4 programmes either.
Just about all your posts about this are based on wild guesses. Repeating
any copyright material is a minefield. With broadcasters having different
agreements.

Apart from paying your pension, obviously.

I don't have a BBC pension. It comes from what was an ITV company.
Where you pay more for the programmes, but in an indirect way.

Fair enough, presumably it was transferred when you jumped ship.

Jumped ship? I moved to a much better and more satisfying job. And never
ever regretted it. Doesn't mean I therefore started hating the BBC.

FWIW, I was given a projected actual figure I'd get as a pension - with
the BBC one frozen - at retirement. In those days you couldn't transfer a
pension. Decided to withdraw it and use it to help pay for works on this
house - to reduce borrowing at those times of high interest rates. And
made up my 'ITV' pension via AVCs to compensate for those lost years, as
it were, when I could afford to. Best decision I ever made.

Not that it's any of my business in the first place.

It may help counteract the stories here of all company pensions being a
ripoff of one sort or another - and better left to the independent private
sector.

michael adams

*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.