Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT the BBC prime time.

The BBC sinks to a new low

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

The BBC sinks to a new low

Why so ?

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Dogs are a very popular pet and in lockdown dog grooming isn't
regarded as an essential service.

So for dog owners this was quite possibly a very useful programme.

Not that I watched it myself.

As it happens it seems to be the sort of feature the BBC were showing in
the early days of TV, before and just after Word War 2.

Given the unrivalled archive of arts and culture documentaries, top
class dramas and series which the BBC are sitting on, I personally find
it an absolute disgrace that the best they can manage to show on BBC4,
a channel supposedly targeted at minority audiences is to show endless
repeats of Top of The Pops, old films and last week, even snooker. Its
almost as if they're deliberately running it into the ground.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2021 21:36, michael adams wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message

The BBC sinks to a new low

Why so ?

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Dogs are a very popular pet and in lockdown dog grooming isn't
regarded as an essential service.

So for dog owners this was quite possibly a very useful programme.

Not that I watched it myself.

I semi watched the last few minutes.

Dogs with red nail polish
White poodles with fur dyed pink and yellow.
Dogs with hats.

Quality dog grooming!

Its
almost as if they're deliberately running it into the ground.

To prove that's all they can do with such a low licence fee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

To prove that's all they can do with such a low licence fee.

When you compare what Talking Pictures TV seem to manage, on the face
of it financed solely by Dormeo Matress ads, broadcasting films 24/7,
digitally remastering films and short documentaries, and issuing them
as DVD's, it does make you wonder what the Beeb spends all the money on.

One priority for me would be unskippable ads on all Iplayer output,

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

The BBC sinks to a new low

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Dont believe it, dogs dont have thumbs so
they cant hold the comb or whatever they
use on women's hair, blow driers I spose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:53:06 +1100, , better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Marland addressing senile Rodent's tall stories:
"Do you really think people believe your stories you come up with to boost
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
When you compare what Talking Pictures TV seem to manage, on the face
of it financed solely by Dormeo Matress ads, broadcasting films 24/7,
digitally remastering films and short documentaries, and issuing them
as DVD's, it does make you wonder what the Beeb spends all the money on.

Very simple. Stuff Talking Pictures shows has near zero commercial value.
If their audience goes up, you'll find what they have to pay for what they
show does too.

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
When you compare what Talking Pictures TV seem to manage, on the face
of it financed solely by Dormeo Matress ads, broadcasting films 24/7,
digitally remastering films and short documentaries, and issuing them
as DVD's, it does make you wonder what the Beeb spends all the money on.

Very simple. Stuff Talking Pictures shows has near zero commercial value.
If their audience goes up, you'll find what they have to pay for what they
show does too.

The BBC seems to be rapidly going that way. What was once considered
poor daytime TV now seems to have been elevated to prime time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I saw that being promoted. I bet its going to be very popular and for ever
re run on those other stations which have dog or pet related content for
about make overs and stuff like that. People love to watch other people it
seems.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message

The BBC sinks to a new low

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
I know a lot of people who watch snooker. They tell me its both gripping and relaxing at
the same time.
I think the problem is that the old stuff the bbc has is often incomplete black and
white or if its science based really well out of date.

For a start they've got over 600 episodes of Arena in their archive
covering almost every major artist, author, actor, playwright
director to have emerged both in the UK and elsewhere both before
and since 1975 when the programme first aired. All in colour.
In drama you've got around 100 episodes of the "The Wednesday Play"
1964-1970 (B/W) - followed by approx 200 eps of "Play For Today"
1970-84 (colour) followed by fifteen series of "Screen Two" 85-96
and six series of "Screen One" 89-98. Nobody is claiming that all
the above are gems but some certainly are worth showing or even
issuing on DVD's.

And claims that the Beeb don't show this stuff as a result of having
sold the rights to somebody else is obvious ********, as it isn't
available anywhere, at any price

But apart from that lot Brian, you're perfectly correct, there's
nothing !

I deliberately left out science documentaries as irrespective of it
being out of date the "experts" on here are regulalrly creaming their
pants over "mistakes" they can identify in material which was broadcast
last night. Never mind 20 years ago.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Very simple. Stuff Talking Pictures shows has near zero commercial value.
If their audience goes up, you'll find what they have to pay for what they
show does too.

I just watched a couple of DVD's I recorded off air maybe a year
or two back. "Artists on film". Each had snippets of full length
documentaries that had featured mainly either on "Monitor" (B/W)
or "Arena" (colour). Similar compilations have featured photographers
and architects on the BBC. Among others. One "The Artists on Film"
featured among others Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, and Victor
Passmore.

Now if you're going to sit there and tell me that among the general
viewing public in the UK or anywhere, documentary films about Henry Moore,
or Barbara Hepworth have greater commercial value than do the re-runs
of "Upstairs Downstairs" which Talking Picture TV are currently showing
then you're quite simply wrong.

Basically the BBC are taking the **** in simply showing clips. The
minority audience, which still exists, who have actually heard of
Henry Moore couldn't give a toss if one the films is
in B/W - same as the classic "Pop Goes the Easel". Except the BBC
simply don't have the courage or the integrity to show any of this
original material. They'd rather show old episodes of "Top of the
Pops" instead.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
I know a lot of people who watch snooker. They tell me its both gripping and relaxing at
the same time.

There are already two BBC channels available for snooker, BBC1 and
BBC2. As to its being "gripping" 99% of the players are totally
boring. The only exception is Ronnie O'Sullivan. And with him its
been exactly the same story for the past 25 years. If he can apply
himself on the day, then his opponent needn't have bothered turning
up.
But if Ronnie is having an off day then that was another few hours
of your life you're never going to get back, and all for nothing.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 06:30, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I know a lot of people who watch snooker. They tell me its both gripping and
relaxing at the same time.

The problem with such "sports" is that the BBC ignore all their other
viewers to give wall to wall coverage during these competitions often
changing the (alternative) schedules at the last minute but NOT to show
the event but so the pundits employed by the BBC can earn their money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/01/2021 20:16, alan_m wrote:

The BBC sinks to a new low

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Essex hairdressers documentary?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 20:16:46 +0000, alan_m wrote:

The BBC sinks to a new low

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

A few years ago the BBC started to scrape the bottom of the barrel; now it's
destroying a microecosystem by turning over the barrel and scraping all the
crud from that.
More and more are repeats (I noticed that HIGABMNFY used to have "Old" for
repeats and now it doesn't), cheap quiz shows worthy of the commercial
channels down the EPG, loads of auction, ****ing cooking and sensationalised
police etc. programmes.
Time to reduce the fee based on repeats and low quality.

/rant
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 09:43, ARW wrote:
On 28/01/2021 20:16, alan_m wrote:

The BBC sinks to a new low

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Essex hairdressers documentary?

Worse than that, from the very little I've seen it appears to be aimed
at people who like dressing up dogs in little costumes after first
giving them a silly haircut. In the little I saw at the end of the
program, one dog was in fishnet stockings!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 06:30, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I know a lot of people who watch snooker. They tell me its both gripping and
relaxing at the same time.
I think the problem is that the old stuff the bbc has is often incomplete
black and white or if its science based really well out of date.
Brian

Black and White on film can look very good on an HD TV. Ditto
old films from 50+ years ago filmed on Kodachrome/Kodacolour.

Old 405 line Black and White video is grotty, as is some old
Black and White film.

And they will insist on stretching pre-1920x1080 stuff to
fill the full width.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,
michael adams wrote:
When you compare what Talking Pictures TV seem to manage, on the face
of it financed solely by Dormeo Matress ads, broadcasting films
24/7, digitally remastering films and short documentaries, and
issuing them as DVD's, it does make you wonder what the Beeb spends
all the money on.

Very simple. Stuff Talking Pictures shows has near zero commercial
value. If their audience goes up, you'll find what they have to pay
for what they show does too.

The BBC seems to be rapidly going that way. What was once considered
poor daytime TV now seems to have been elevated to prime time.

True - but they do tend to make it. And that costs a lot more than showing
a 50 year old B movie.

--
*A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
And claims that the Beeb don't show this stuff as a result of having
sold the rights to somebody else is obvious ********, as it isn't
available anywhere, at any price

The reason is that after a time, they have to re-negotiate to show it. A
new contract with the talent, etc. Feature films usually do a buy out on
copyright.

The BEEB doesn't buy outright the rights to a play. Their agreement will
be for so many years and possibly so many showings. Same sort of thing
applies to artist's contracts.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Now if you're going to sit there and tell me that among the general
viewing public in the UK or anywhere, documentary films about Henry
Moore, or Barbara Hepworth have greater commercial value than do the
re-runs of "Upstairs Downstairs" which Talking Picture TV are currently
showing then you're quite simply wrong.

Ok. I'm told Talking Pictures is run by one man and his dog from a
bedroom.

So there's your opportunity. Buy all this old BBC material and set up a
channel showing it, and make a fortune.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 13:28, alan_m wrote:
In the little I saw at the end of the program, one dog was in fishnet
stockings!

sounds like ma ex...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/01/2021 09:43, ARW wrote:
On 28/01/2021 20:16, alan_m wrote:

The BBC sinks to a new low

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Essex hairdressers documentary?

Worse than that,Â* from the very little I've seen it appears to be aimed
at people who like dressing up dogs in little costumes after first
giving them a silly haircut. In the little I saw at the end of the
program, one dog was in fishnet stockings!

It's not a dog.

It's a fanny licker.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Now if you're going to sit there and tell me that among the general
viewing public in the UK or anywhere, documentary films about Henry
Moore, or Barbara Hepworth have greater commercial value than do the
re-runs of "Upstairs Downstairs" which Talking Picture TV are currently
showing then you're quite simply wrong.

Ok. I'm told Talking Pictures is run by one man and his dog from a
bedroom.

One (quite old) man and his daughter from a garden shed

So there's your opportunity. Buy all this old BBC material and set up a
channel showing it, and make a fortune.

or not, as the case may be

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Now if you're going to sit there and tell me that among the general
viewing public in the UK or anywhere, documentary films about Henry
Moore, or Barbara Hepworth have greater commercial value than do the
re-runs of "Upstairs Downstairs" which Talking Picture TV are currently
showing then you're quite simply wrong.

Ok. I'm told Talking Pictures is run by one man and his dog from a
bedroom.

So there's your opportunity. Buy all this old BBC material and set up a
channel showing it, and make a fortune.

Congratulations for completely missing the point.

Alan Bennett

The point about old Arena ands Monitor material is that it was totally
uncommercial when it was first broadcast. While serving your BBC
apprenticeship you must have been off sick on the day they explined
to you all that one function of the BBC was to make totally uncommercial
programmes about the arts and culture to wean viewers away from the
more poplular programmming. To educate (uncommercial) and inform
(uncommercial), as well as entertain (commercial).

Alan Bennett

michael adams

*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
The point about old Arena ands Monitor material is that it was totally
uncommercial when it was first broadcast. While serving your BBC
apprenticeship you must have been off sick on the day they explined
to you all that one function of the BBC was to make totally uncommercial
programmes about the arts and culture to wean viewers away from the
more poplular programmming. To educate (uncommercial) and inform
(uncommercial), as well as entertain (commercial).

I'd guess you've not noticed things have changed from those days.

Plenty of commercial channels (ie paid for via subscription or adverts or
both) who educate and inform rather than entertain.

But perhaps you find being informed a chore?

--
*Home cooking. Where many a man thinks his wife is.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
And claims that the Beeb don't show this stuff as a result of having
sold the rights to somebody else is obvious ********, as it isn't
available anywhere, at any price

The reason is that after a time, they have to re-negotiate to show it. A
new contract with the talent, etc. Feature films usually do a buy out on
copyright.

The BEEB doesn't buy outright the rights to a play. Their agreement will
be for so many years and possibly so many showings. Same sort of thing
applies to artist's contracts.

Talking Pictures don't just show old films. As mentioned elsewhere
they show "Upstairs Downstairs", as well as currently "Hannay","Sir
Lancelot","Robin Hood","Budgie","Sunday Night at the London Palladium",
"Special Branch" etc etc.

Its funny how this "one man and his daughter and his dog" can manage to
re-negotiate the rights to all that little lot as well as organisisng digital
remastering sessions along with DVD manufacturing and marketing.
As compared with all the resources supposedly available the BBC.
Don't you think ?

https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/shop/

michael adams

*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I'd guess you've not noticed things have changed from those days.

Plenty of commercial channels (ie paid for via subscription or adverts or
both) who educate and inform rather than entertain.

Such as ?

Name some.

Freeview is full of channels featuring the same group of
animated talking heads wittering on about *forgotten
aspacts" of World War 2 or abandoned factories. I assume
you don't mean those ?

While apart from interminable repeats of "Tales of the
Unexpected" and another group of animated talking heads
banging on ad nauseam about old film stars, the only actual "arts"
content on Sky Arts appears to be Melvyn Bragg congratulating
himself about about old editions of the "South Bank Show ".

But perhaps you find being informed a chore?

It always gets personal with you in the end, doesn't it ?

But then when its your own and Alan Yentob's pensions that we're
actually talking about, maybe that's not so surprising.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So there's your opportunity. Buy all this old BBC material and set up a
channel showing it, and make a fortune.

Or ask the BBC to show it for a £157 annual contribution

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I saw that being promoted. I bet its going to be very popular

Very likely with the lockdowns.

and for ever re run on those other stations which have
dog or pet related content for about make overs and
stuff like that. People love to watch other people it seems.

Not much else to do in a lockdown.

"alan_m" wrote in message

The BBC sinks to a new low

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 04:27:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
[...]

The guy at TP does it as a passion. He was repackaging and reselling the
films before he started the TV channel.

But it's run on a shoestring and makes him pennies. Ok, a living for
himself and his family, but not much more. If you add a full corporate
structure on top of what he is doing and any commercial profit disappears up
in smoke.

and it doesn't scale. You can't re-master thousands of films that you end
up, individually, only showing once (or even twice).

How much effort is it to re-master a film? How many can one man do in a
week?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2021 21:50, alan_m wrote:
On 28/01/2021 21:36, michael adams wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message

The BBC sinks to a new low

Why so ?

BBC prime time tonight - Hairdressing for dogs

Dogs are a very popular pet and in lockdown dog grooming isn't
regarded as an essential service.

So for dog owners this was quite possibly a very useful programme.

Not that I watched it myself.

I semi watched the last few minutes.

Dogs with red nail polish
White poodles with fur dyed pink and yellow.
Dogs with hats.

Quality dog grooming!

There is one dog too many in that sentence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:58:24 -0000, tim... wrote:

The Mallorca Files is back next week - all a bit formulaic though

Is that a repeat?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I watch a film/drama for the story (and once you know it, you know it)

That's the beauty of getting old. You can watch something again you know
you've watched but can't remember the plot.

But if it's a worthwhile story and performance, you can often see more in
it second time round.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
[...]

You're just repeating what Dave and everybody else claims. All based
on a couple of newspapaer articles from what I can see.

and it doesn't scale.

Talking Pictures TV runs 24/7. BBC4 runs only 8 and a half hours a day
- 7.pm to 3.30 - Saturday night Sunday morning. You're right it doesn;t
scale !

Talking Pictures a.k.a Renown Films offers a whole catalogue of film
compiliations

https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/shop/

Many of them digitally remastered, many with added subtitles.

Jonathan Meades has made and is still making over 50 programmes for
the BBC. All of them innovative and challenging. The best the BBC
can manage is produce a 3 disc Jonathn Meades collection in 2008
containing 9 programmes plus an introduction.

And please don't give me any old nonsense about "rights".
When on his own website Meades re-directs people to a streaming
site featuring copies of his films reorded off air and uploaded
by viewers.

Again too right it doesn't scale !

I've got no objection whatosever to the BBC showing popular programmes
which appeal to the majority of viewers who pay the licence fee.
But as it is BBC4, as with all of the BBC's radio output costs relative
peanuts to provide. The BBC's remit is to both reflect the cultural
life of the UK and to provide a range of programming to suit all
tastes. Using BB4 as a dustbin for endless "Top of the Pops" repeats
when the BBC is sitting on an unmatched archive of material all
lying unused, does neither.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
You're just repeating what Dave and everybody else claims. All based
on a couple of newspapaer articles from what I can see.

and it doesn't scale.

Talking Pictures TV runs 24/7. BBC4 runs only 8 and a half hours a day
- 7.pm to 3.30 - Saturday night Sunday morning. You're right it doesn;t
scale !

Talking Pictures a.k.a Renown Films offers a whole catalogue of film
compiliations

https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/shop/

Good on them, then. That's you sorted. You can watch it 24/7 and not worry
about ever watching the BBC.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Auto-contradicting Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 13:32:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:58:24 -0000, tim... wrote:

The Mallorca Files is back next week - all a bit formulaic though

Is that a repeat?

nope

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
I watch a film/drama for the story (and once you know it, you know it)

That's the beauty of getting old. You can watch something again you know
you've watched but can't remember the plot.

well I do watch things again that I've forgotten from 20 years ago

just not from last month

TOT Amazon prime Rod Speed UK diy 2 December 5th 18 04:31 PM
TOT Amazon prime JoeJoe UK diy 0 December 4th 18 09:30 PM
TOT Amazon prime alan_m UK diy 0 December 4th 18 04:30 PM
TOT Sub prime mortgages alan_m UK diy 15 April 25th 16 11:52 AM
Window sills: Prime, Paint Caulk or Prime Caulk Paint? Alan Smithee Home Repair 4 April 18th 05 04:03 PM