Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Photography Q and eBay rant.

Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?
Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

And for the photography question,
Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?
Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

Wasn't by any chance advertised on FaceBook?

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?

If it says "Fitment:for Nikon D70 D3200 D3100 D5200" then yes I would.

I suggest you take them up on their policy of "speak to us before
leaving negative feedback" perhaps suggest they supply you with the
suitable adapter ring

Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

And for the photography question,
Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?
Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

Wasn't by any chance advertised on FaceBook?

No. I singled it out on ebay. Peril of picking cheap I suppose. Just
want to get some use out of a camera back i've inherited that's probably
not worth selling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:52, Andy Burns wrote:
R D S wrote:

Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn
up, to be able to attach it directly to a D70?

If it says "Fitment:for Nikon D70 D3200 D3100 D5200" then yes I would.

There's no info at all for fitment, I was expecting it to have the
correct mount from the description. Looking at others a lot of these are
screw mount and need an adaptor. I should have been more on the ball.

Seller has about 62000 items for sale (no adapters!) and less than
sparkling feedback, i'm not getting satisfaction there. I'll just buy an
adapter elsewhere and move on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:

"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

it has a thread on it.

Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0

I think it might be intended to fit on the front of another lens (the
standard lens that would have come with the camera originally).
:facepalm:

I'll send it back. And probably end up opening a dispute for a refund.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?
Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

Common scam for 3rd party lenses that may require an adapter, which may
also prevent some auto functions. I do get the impression on Ebay that
there is a lot of lenses from older 35mm film cameras advertised to fit
more modern cameras with an adapter. These tend to be without any auto
features (auto focussing, auto f stop adjustment etc.) and much larger
than a lens designed for the camera which may have a much small sensor
(than 35mm film).

And for the photography question,
Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0

What for - your new lens or an existing "standard" lens?

Probably not the correct adapter for your new lens.

If it's for reversing your standard lens to use it for close(r)-up work
just make sure that the filter screw thread on the front of your
existing lens matches the screw thread size stated in the advert (55mm).

Any auto features are disabled because you are now using the filter
thread to attach to the body of the camera (that side of the lens has no
electrical contacts.

Also consider extension tubes (with or without reversing the lens) that
fit between the camera and the body

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...w=323011889162

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/u...ro-photography

Three different sizes of tube in the kit so you have a choice of
magnification

You will have to stop down your lens a lot to get a reasonable depth of
field with extension tubes so you may/will need more light -
possible/probably a flash gun mounted so the the tube/lens does not
block the light before reaching the subject being photographed. My
compact camera has a build in flash unsuitable for use with extension
tubes so I mount a flash gun on a tripod that is optically triggered
from the cameras flash (slave flash).

With extension tubes its probably better to be in manual mode so that
you can override the auto aperture setting to get the optimum depth of
field and set a slow flash synced shutter speed where the flash duration
controls the exposure. Moving objects such as outside in a light wind
can be a PITA as the object moves in and out of focus and with a very
shallow depth of field - hence flash photography rather than natural light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

If it says "Fitment:for Nikon D70 D3200 D3100 D5200" then yes I would.

There's no info at all for fitment

just that searching ebay for your exact description, lead to an item
that did say " Nikon D70 fitment", though it seems to screw into the
filter ring of an existing lens, and looking again they seem ten a penny
from multiple sellers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 15:31, Andy Burns wrote:
though it seems to screw into the
filter ring of an existing lens, and looking again they seem ten a penny
from multiple sellers.

Yes, i've just learned that myself, sadly i've no lens for the D70.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 15:25, alan_m wrote:

Probably not the correct adapter for your new lens.

Correct. I've dropped a bungle Alan, it's supposed to screw onto the
front of an existing lens.

Probably pretty obvious really the more I think about it, but i'm at
point and shoot level when it comes to camera knowledge.

It does fit on the front of my Lumix FZ72 though so at least I can have
a play with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 15/01/2021 15:31, Andy Burns wrote:
though it seems to screw into the
filter ring of an existing lens, and looking again they seem ten a penny
from multiple sellers.

Yes, i've just learned that myself, sadly i've no lens for the D70.

I'd say the last thing you want as your only lens is a fisheye one?

And don't most of those fit over another anyway?

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 15:05, R D S wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* R D S wrote:
Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?
Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

Wasn't by any chance advertised on FaceBook?

No. I singled it out on ebay. Peril of picking cheap I suppose. Just
want to get some use out of a camera back i've inherited that's probably
not worth selling.

very decent little camera

£55 or so will buy you a nice little nikon zoom with te correct screw to
slap on the front

I've got manual lenses that will fit...

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 15:05:29 +0000, R D S wrote:

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?

I had no trouble selling a D70 recently. It did have the original kit
lens, though, but no original packaging. Got about £100 for it I
think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 15:18, R D S wrote:
On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:

"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

it has a thread on it.

Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0

I think it might be intended to fit on the front of another lens (the
standard lens that would have come with the camera originally).
:facepalm:

I'll send it back. And probably end up opening a dispute for a refund.

you would be better off with the 55mm macro lens

Mind you, those go for £100+

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 15:42, R D S wrote:
On 15/01/2021 15:25, alan_m wrote:

Probably not the correct adapter for your new lens.

Correct. I've dropped a bungle Alan, it's supposed to screw onto the
front of an existing lens.

Probably pretty obvious really the more I think about it, but i'm at
point and shoot level when it comes to camera knowledge.

It does fit on the front of my Lumix FZ72 though so at least I can have
a play with it.

https://digital-photography-school.c...aphy-lesson-3/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?
Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

And for the photography question,
Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0

With hindsight always worth checking that the photos include one of the
actual fitment.
I would be suspicious of items on eBay from private sellers that are
lacking in detail and dont have a good selection of photos covering the
whole item including labels and markings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 15:42, R D S wrote:
On 15/01/2021 15:25, alan_m wrote:

Probably not the correct adapter for your new lens.

Correct. I've dropped a bungle Alan, it's supposed to screw onto the
front of an existing lens.

Probably pretty obvious really the more I think about it, but i'm at
point and shoot level when it comes to camera knowledge.

It does fit on the front of my Lumix FZ72 though so at least I can have
a play with it.

The screw thread on your new lens is possibly (Pentax) M42 and your
Cannon D70 camera is EOS. Measure the screw thread on the lens.

An adapter can be found by Googling Cannon EOS bayonet to Pentax M42 adapter

BUT... view this first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umOn...ature=youtu.be

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:

Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?

Yes (although the week probably does not come into it!)

Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

And for the photography question,
Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0

That is designed to allow a "normal" lens to be reversed - by mounting
it using it s filter mount thread. This gets you a macro capability with
most lenses but with the loss of any automatic control of things like
diaphragm and focus.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd say the last thing you want as your only lens is a fisheye one?

I've this lenseless D70 doing nothing and I want to stick a camera in
front of a light box on a tripod and just leave it there permanently to
take product shots.

Not sure how a fisheye lens would fare in this application but it looked
like it was going to be the cheapest way of testing the water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70

Having looked at the actual eBay listing:
I think the work "adapter" should be in the description or title.
However the x0.45 does indicate this is an adapter and changes the focal
length of the existing lens.

The photos do show the lens to only have a screw thread not a camera mount.
The photos also show the lens fitted to a camera by screwing into the
front of an existing lens.
Photos also show how it screws into existing filters etc

£10 for a new lens or even an adapter is not going to be great quality.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2021 10:52, Robert wrote:
On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70

Having looked at the actual eBay listing:
I think the work "adapter" should be in the description or title.
However the x0.45 does indicate this is an adapter and changes the focal
length of the existing lens.

The photos do show the lens to only have a screw thread not a camera mount.
The photos also show the lens fitted to a camera by screwing into the
front of an existing lens.
Photos also show how it screws into existing filters etc

Â*£10 for a new lens or even an adapter is not going to be great quality.

The link in my OP wasn't the thing I bought, it was the thing I was
wondering if I needed to use the thing i'd bought,
One of these,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...33225&_sacat=0

Anyway, I get it now, it goes on the front of an existing lens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

It is just you. It says it is a 55mm thread 0.45x Macro/Fish Eye lens.
They were popular ages ago when fish eye lenses were very expensive.
The clue is in the 0.45x - its a wide angle multiplier.

You can get multipliers that do go behind the lens but in standard
camera lenses they have to be multipliers 1 eg 1.4x, 2x and 3x.

Telescopes have a lot more back focus and you can get 0.4x and 0.63x
telecompressors that flatten the focal plane and shorten focal length.

Fish eye lens is likely to be advertised as "8mm f4 Nikon fit".

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?
Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

It is intended to screw onto probably the standard lens that comes with
a D70 which I expect has a 55mm filter thread on it.

And for the photography question,
Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0

In all probability you stack the 0.45x multiplier on the front of the
shortest focal length lens that you already have.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2021 10:40, R D S wrote:

I'd say the last thing you want as your only lens is a fisheye one?

I've this lenseless D70 doing nothing and I want to stick a camera in
front of a light box on a tripod and just leave it there permanently to
take product shots.

Not sure how a fisheye lens would fare in this application but it looked
like it was going to be the cheapest way of testing the water.

If quality isn't too much of an issue get a lens from sigma tamron or tokina

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-90...t/203243657736

I think that will fit - lens is probably as good as tge 6MP sensoir anyway

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If quality isn't too much of an issue get a lens from sigma tamron or
tokina

It isn't a massive issue

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-90...t/203243657736

I think that will fit - lens is probably as good as tge 6MP sensoir anyway

Yes, I should have got something like that in the first place, but as
ever I did some looking into it....
I came away with the idea that I was better off with something without
any zoom, quality wise?
(And then spent 14 quid, yeah I know, please don't.....)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2021 11:45, R D S wrote:
If quality isn't too much of an issue get a lens from sigma tamron or
tokina

It isn't a massive issue

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-90...t/203243657736

I think that will fit - lens is probably as good as tge 6MP sensoir
anyway

Yes, I should have got something like that in the first place, but as
ever I did some looking into it....
I came away with the idea that I was better off with something without
any zoom, quality wise?
(And then spent 14 quid, yeah I know, please don't.....)

ah. I have an apology. That is an auction. The new price for that lens
is around £650

Your best bet would be to dump the autofocus and get a 52mm filter
manual lens and use that adapter.,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Ser...s/154284633420

The 50mm 1.8 is a superb lens. Its just manual focus

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus
"55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up,
to be able to attach it directly to a D70?
Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

And for the photography question,
Do I simply need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...89162&_sacat=0

A reversing ring will never turn a normal lens into a fisheye.

And don't forget you will lose all the electro-mechanical
connections so that means manual focussing, shutter speed
and aperature, which also means you need a lens that still
has an aperature ring (usually). Many more recent lenses
dont have this, because they rely on the camera body.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your best bet would be to dump the autofocus and get a 52mm filter
manual lens and use that adapter.,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Ser...s/154284633420

The 50mm 1.8 is a superb lens. Its just manual focus

Cheers,
I'll have a last minute snipe at that.

If I miss that one my understanding is pancake and prime are the same,
so i'm after a f1/8 prime lens.......

I've just googled the difference between f1/8 and f1/4 and I can't
decide if I want a 'soft creamy bokeh when wide open'!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2021 12:22, R D S wrote:

If I miss that one my understanding is pancake and prime are the same,
so i'm after a f1/8 prime *or pancake* lens.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2021 12:24, R D S wrote:
On 16/01/2021 12:22, R D S wrote:

If I miss that one my understanding is pancake and prime are the same,
so i'm after a f1/8 prime *or pancake* lens.......

Pentax do a 40mm pancake lens, intended for their bodies
that are not full-frame, so effectively it is similar to a
'standard' 50/55 mm lens on a 35mm film camera. It is nice
and compact, for travelling, in theory -

https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/le...ited-lens.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2021 12:22, R D S wrote:

Your best bet would be to dump the autofocus and get a 52mm filter
manual lens and use that adapter.,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Ser...s/154284633420

The 50mm 1.8 is a superb lens. Its just manual focus

Cheers,
I'll have a last minute snipe at that.

If I miss that one my understanding is pancake and prime are the same,
so i'm after a f1/8 prime lens.......

I've just googled the difference between f1/8 and f1/4 and I can't
decide if I want a 'soft creamy bokeh when wide open'!

LOL!

Don't open it wide! around f8 is the best between diffraction and lens
distortion

In a tripod you can use flash or long excosure.

The pancakes were shorter overall lenses. Still primes.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2021 12:22, R D S wrote:

Your best bet would be to dump the autofocus and get a 52mm filter
manual lens and use that adapter.,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Ser...s/154284633420

The 50mm 1.8 is a superb lens. Its just manual focus

Cheers,
I'll have a last minute snipe at that.

If I miss that one my understanding is pancake and prime are the same,
so i'm after a f1/8 prime lens.......

I've just googled the difference between f1/8 and f1/4 and I can't
decide if I want a 'soft creamy bokeh when wide open'!

LOL!

Don't open it wide! around f8 is the best between diffraction and lens
distortion

In a tripod you can use flash or long excosure.

The pancakes were shorter overall lenses. Still primes.

They might be 'primes', but a bog standard prime lens will usually
be f1.8 or f1.7 which is much brighter than a pancake.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2021 14:47, R D S wrote:
55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70

Having looked at the actual eBay listing:
I think the work "adapter" should be in the description or title.
However the x0.45 does indicate this is an adapter and changes the
focal length of the existing lens.

The photos do show the lens to only have a screw thread not a camera
mount.
The photos also show the lens fitted to a camera by screwing into the
front of an existing lens.
Photos also show how it screws into existing filters etc

Â*Â*£10 for a new lens or even an adapter is not going to be great quality.

The link in my OP wasn't the thing I bought, it was the thing I was
wondering if I needed to use the thing i'd bought,
One of these,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...33225&_sacat=0

Anyway, I get it now, it goes on the front of an existing lens.

Useful when you want a single photo record of the inside of a room, or
anywhere you cant get further away from and arent worried about
distortion. Not bad value for that.
ps I did search eBay to see the actual item.
You could always resell it on eBay !