Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car battery 12.1v

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I charge my car battery old school with croc clips on the terminals.
Nice big fat spark jumps when I make contact. Initial current to a
flat battery about 8A falling to a steady 6A as the terminal voltage
rises.

Are you doing this with an old style charger switched on?

Yes. Its the simplest way to check it is still working. It can source 3A
or 6A at either 12v or 6v depending on its switch settings.

I've got several assorted chargers here. None spark when connected to
the battery. That's more what you get when jump starting from a
vehicle which has the engine running.

The initial state will be a 27v no load DC connected to 12v for a moment
and a lot of current flows. Enough to make a nice fat spark.

Personally, not too keen on sparks close to a battery or indeed under the
bonnet if they can be avoided.

The meter on the thing is unresponsive so the spark is the best
indication I have that it is working. It is way too old to have any kind
of indicator LED - just has a little worn out ammeter.

Sounds like you need the 13 Lidl one. ;-)

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

Of course the majority don't pay for the fuel used. But I still don't
understand why you'd want a noisy diesel idling while you eat your lunch.

so you can have the radio on ?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2020 10:59, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:24:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I've not had a stop start vehicle, but my brother has. He says he can't
work out when it's going to work or not. Think I'd like a warning light
when it is in operation. He can disable it, but it reverts to on at the
next switch on.

Shirly if you come to a momentary halt and the engine stops, that
could (would?) create more pollution (stopping and starting any mass
needs to overcome inertia, linear or rotary) than just allowing it to
run a few more revs and not stop?

If it does, then there would be a finite time that an engine would
need to stop for before it actually made it cleaner ... and it's
possible that could be linked into a realtime GPS / traffic monitoring
system that allowed the car to know if you had stopped at traffic
lights (and how long they had on red on that cycle) or just in slow
moving traffic?

I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

Something I come across surprisingly often when out walking the dog.

Cheers, T i m

so thats dogging then
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

Of course the majority don't pay for the fuel used. But I still don't
understand why you'd want a noisy diesel idling while you eat your lunch.

so you can have the radio on ?

Thats what the accessory position on your ignition switch is for.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:46:35 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 15/12/2020 10:59, T i m wrote:

If it does, then there would be a finite time that an engine would
need to stop for before it actually made it cleaner

I looked into this once, I can't remember exactly but it was a
surprisingly short length of time.

Yeah, I guess if an engine was up to temperature and fuel injected and
'designed' to be started quickly, then I can see how it might be.

It would be interesting to know what actual time that was though.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

Of course the majority don't pay for the fuel used. But I still don't
understand why you'd want a noisy diesel idling while you eat your lunch.

so you can have the radio on ?

Thats what the accessory position on your ignition switch is for.

Most cars now allow the radio to be turned on even when the ignition
is off, even with no key in it. Ours does turn the radio off if it's
left on though with a message saying "economy mode".

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 13:36:18 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.

Yup, done that myself whilst waiting for people I've delivered to
hospital appointments (and can't park in the hospital car park, I know
it's going to be a long time and am hungry etc).

And they near all have their engines running.

Yup. What happened to the 'No engine idling laws?

Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater.

Well, possibly, but when I've done such I might have just turned the
engine on for 30 seconds to get a bit of warmth and then off again?

But this happens at all times of the year.

Yup.

Of course the majority don't pay for the fuel used. But I still don't
understand why you'd want a noisy diesel idling while you eat your lunch.

Because the radio is also on and you are talking on yer phone (though
the vans ICE so everyone around just hear). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec 2020 15:13:50 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

Of course the majority don't pay for the fuel used. But I still don't
understand why you'd want a noisy diesel idling while you eat your lunch.

so you can have the radio on ?

Thats what the accessory position on your ignition switch is for.

On our Vauxhalls, the radio stays on if you turn off the ignition but
don't take the key out.

If you do take the key out (and / or leave someone in the car without
the keys), they can still turn the radio on.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 14:29:09 +0000, critcher
wrote:

snip

I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

Something I come across surprisingly often when out walking the dog.

so thats dogging then

Not generally down the local back roads round here (YMMV etc).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, Tim+
wrote:
charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , T i m
wrote:
[...]

I know that - but do white van drivers?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

Of course the majority don't pay for the fuel used. But I still don't
understand why you'd want a noisy diesel idling while you eat your lunch.

so you can have the radio on ?

Think it's a very long time since I've had a radio that would run the
battery flat while stopped for half an hour or so?

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Most cars now allow the radio to be turned on even when the ignition
is off, even with no key in it. Ours does turn the radio off if it's
left on though with a message saying "economy mode".

Mine switches off after about 10 minutes even with the key in the ignition
- very annoying. Even with its pretty display, I doubt it uses that much
current.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I charge my car battery old school with croc clips on the terminals.
Nice big fat spark jumps when I make contact. Initial current to a
flat battery about 8A falling to a steady 6A as the terminal voltage
rises.
Are you doing this with an old style charger switched on?

Yes. Its the simplest way to check it is still working. It can source 3A
or 6A at either 12v or 6v depending on its switch settings.
I've got several assorted chargers here. None spark when connected to
the battery. That's more what you get when jump starting from a
vehicle which has the engine running.

The initial state will be a 27v no load DC connected to 12v for a moment
and a lot of current flows. Enough to make a nice fat spark.

Personally, not too keen on sparks close to a battery or indeed under the
bonnet if they can be avoided.

That's why the last connection you make when dealing with devices
connected to battery, is making a ground connection to frame.
Then, the spark is (hopefully) far enough away from any hydrogen
to avert disaster.

You don't put the two crock clips right on the battery
as it sits in your car. The red (+) can go to the battery
terminal, the black (-) goes to the frame, and that's to
establish some distance from the battery. When you fit the
black one, that is the fitting that "sparks" - even an
unpowered charger, you can be charging up some capacitor
inside it, at the moment of connection. The "spark" can come
from positive current flow (out of the powered charger), or from
negative flow back into the (unpowered) charger, as you charge up
its flat capacitor.

When you charge a battery sitting on the ground, you can
always fit extension cables so you are a good distance
from it when connecting. The biggest risk is from the
old style batteries with screw caps and "breather holes"
in the caps.

*******

If getting a car charger, try to get one with temperature
compensation. Sometimes the adverts for the cheap ones
happen to mention it. Mine is missing that feature.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul wrote:
That's why the last connection you make when dealing with devices
connected to battery, is making a ground connection to frame.
Then, the spark is (hopefully) far enough away from any hydrogen
to avert disaster.

All the batteries I've had over the last many years are semi-sealed. And
some have had a vent tube to carry any fumes away via a hose. But there is
also the possibility of petrol fumes too. All pretty remote, though.

However, still safer to connect and disconnect a charger after switching
it off.

I well remember the old days were garages had a central charging area, and
ordinary open vented batteries were the norm. Careless connection caused
many an explosion.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec 2020 15:13:50 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Of course the majority don't pay for the fuel used. But I still

don't
understand why you'd want a noisy diesel idling while you eat

your
lunch.

so you can have the radio on ?

That s what the accessory position on your ignition switch is
for.

What key? What ignition switch? All I've got is a start/stop push
button.
If you want to listen to the radio without it timing out you either
have to have the car fully powered up and engine not running (but I
expect that times out after a while) or have the engine running. You
can manually and repeatedly switch the radio on if the car is
"dozing" after stopping the engine but eventually it falls asleep,
turns the radio off, locks the doors etc...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Does the average van have this, though? Perhaps some do. But it makes no
difference if old or new - they all seem to keep their engine running.

--
*Income tax service - Weve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

AC is std on most vans now ,if it is there people will use it .

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make chargers
that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:59:01 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 14/12/2020 13:15, AnthonyL wrote:

Advice is to trickle charge it first but I haven't a charger and I don't
want to buy a charger *and* a battery.

If you'd been using a charger likely you wouldn't be needing a
replacement battery.

Yeah.
Having thought about, if my usage pattern stays the same I am going to
need a charger so if anyone has any recommendations....

When Lockdown 1.0 made it obvious my car use was going to be virtually
nil I thought about a charger and coincidentally the local Aldi had
Auto XS Car Battery Charger in rummage boxes, 9.99. Used it several
times for both mine and my wife's car, checked with multi-meter and
readings tally.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Marland
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times. As such it
is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal deal from
the store, etc. And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps
understandable if cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of
the year.

AC is std on most vans now ,if it is there people will use it .

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make
chargers that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

I've got a Ryobi one.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Marland wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

AC is std on most vans now ,if it is there people will use it .

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make chargers
that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked up
like this has a good reason to do so.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 00:24:37 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What key? What ignition switch? All I've got is a start/stop push
button.
If you want to listen to the radio without it timing out you

either
have to have the car fully powered up and engine not running (but

expect that times out after a while) or have the engine running.

Does the average van have this, though? Perhaps some do.

Well the car is nearly 6 1/2 years old, I'd expect a van under 3
years (so it doesn't need an MOT(?)) would have "caught up". After
all a push button and bit of electronics will be cheaper than a
mechanically complex key/lock and castings to hold them and assembly
time to fit...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Marland
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times. As such
it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal deal
from the store, etc. And they near all have their engines running.
Perhaps understandable if cold for the heater. But this happens at
all times of the year.

AC is std on most vans now ,if it is there people will use it .

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make
chargers that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked up
like this has a good reason to do so.

you could always tap on the window and ask.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 12:53:23 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is

attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the

batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make

chargers that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked
up like this has a good reason to do so.

No one said it was a good reason. B-) If I was doing that I'd have
an aux battery for the chargers to avoid them accidentally being left
on and flatening the vehicle battery.

Suspect a combination of heat(*)/coolth and/or listening to radio
and/or battery charging are the reasons.

(*) Though diesels barely put out any heat when idling.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Marland
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not
busy during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times. As
such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a
meal deal from the store, etc. And they near all have their
engines running. Perhaps understandable if cold for the heater.
But this happens at all times of the year.

AC is std on most vans now ,if it is there people will use it .

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries
of Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita
make chargers that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked
up like this has a good reason to do so.

you could always tap on the window and ask.

I have done this. All I got was a strange look. Of course the driver could
have been Eastern European and didn't understand what I was asking.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Marland wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

AC is std on most vans now ,if it is there people will use it .

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make chargers
that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked up
like this has a good reason to do so.

Try tapping on the window and asking? I have noticed the same phenomenon
at Hatfield Tesco but assumed they were running aircon or heater. Tool
charging does make sense.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 14:23:32 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked up
like this has a good reason to do so.

Try tapping on the window and asking?

Maybe not when they are also parked diagonally across disabled spaces.
It's pretty obvious who they care about. [1]

I have noticed the same phenomenon
at Hatfield Tesco but assumed they were running aircon or heater. Tool
charging does make sense.

It would if it was but still not really a good justification IMHO.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Mrs to her Mum to the hospital because the screws in the frame on
her broken arm were coming lose. One of the few blue badge spaces was
occupied by a couple of lads in a van and seeing no blue badge, the
Mrs asked them if they were leaving. They started being abusive so she
walked over to the Police car that was waiting by an ambulance ... and
for some reason the van then drove off. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Marland wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My local medium sized Tesco has a decent sized car park. And not busy
during the day week times. Why I use it - in better times.
As such it is popular with van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

AC is std on most vans now ,if it is there people will use it .

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make chargers
that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked up
like this has a good reason to do so.

I wasnt expecting you to ,there is a meaning behind the word Some which
you ought to have got the hang of by now .
More I think would be using the AC , being bigger and not always well
insulated compared to a car vans warm up quickly in the sun and soon become
uncomfortable to sit in.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland wrote:

van drivers to have their lunch in - a meal
deal from the store, etc.
And they near all have their engines running. Perhaps understandable if
cold for the heater. But this happens at all times of the year.

AC is std on most vans now ,if it is there people will use it .

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make chargers
that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked up
like this has a good reason to do so.

Try tapping on the window and asking? I have noticed the same phenomenon
at Hatfield Tesco but assumed they were running aircon or heater. Tool
charging does make sense.

I did tool charging in the van till I ceased work some 12 years ago, back
then due to having different makes of tool non of which AFAIK offered a 12
charger I used an inverter . 850 watts hard wired to the battery .More than
the chargers needed but meant I could use the odd corded item like a decent
lead lamp ( LEDs have really transformed things since then). Despite the
inverter rarely being asked to give its full output I was always a little
cautious at running for too long without the engine turning.

It would have been a rare thing then but now in tool chargers from the 12v
socket are more common as are more modern high capacity batteries but that
means you need more juice to fully charge them up.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 12:53:23 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is

attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the

batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make

chargers that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked
up like this has a good reason to do so.

No one said it was a good reason. B-) If I was doing that I'd have
an aux battery for the chargers to avoid them accidentally being left
on and flatening the vehicle battery.

I would think many such van drivers dont own or lease the van and could
add such things to an employers vehicle even if they had the technical
ability .
Some employers mind really penny pinch , I knew my tenure with a firm I got
tuped to was going to be short when I saw the state of the vehicles their
existing employees were saddled with, one afternoon
I was contacted and told come back to the yard and collect the spare
wheel and take it to Peter as he has a puncture. Peter was a round trip
of 120 miles away on top of what I already had to do ,
THE spare wheel I asked? oh yes we only have the one. The tight owner of
the firm
never replaced tyres until they had just gone illegal and had the spare
wheels of all the fleet removed to be used rather than pay for new tyres.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2020 10:59, T i m wrote:

I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

There's a layby near my house and people often do this. They also have
sex with the engine and heater on. I wouldn't be able to concentrate;
I'd be worrying about the gear lever being knocked.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Most cars now allow the radio to be turned on even when the ignition
is off, even with no key in it. Ours does turn the radio off if it's
left on though with a message saying "economy mode".

Mine switches off after about 10 minutes even with the key in the ignition
- very annoying. Even with its pretty display, I doubt it uses that much
current.

In a Transit it goes off after an hour.

bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2020 15:37, charles wrote:

Thats what the accessory position on your ignition switch is for.

I know that - but do white van drivers?

It's their profession.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Think it's a very long time since I've had a radio that would run the
battery flat while stopped for half an hour or so?

Don't they have a row a little valves nowadays then, and an inverter?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2020 11:48, Marland wrote:

Some if they are off a building site or a repairman who is attending
several calls may be taking the opportunity to top up the batteries of
Cordless tools ,most of the well known tool makes like Makita make chargers
that work off the vehicle accessory socket.

GH

I had an aux battery and charging relay to power an inverter for power
tools etc.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry, I simply don't believe every van running its engine when parked up
like this has a good reason to do so.

They don't need a good reason to do it and there isn't a good reason
from their point of view to not do it.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2020 14:38, williamwright wrote:
On 15/12/2020 10:59, T i m wrote:

I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

There's a layby near my house and people often do this. They also have
sex with the engine and heater on. I wouldn't be able to concentrate;
I'd be worrying about the gear lever being knocked.

Bill

think if I had sex with an engine, I wouldnt care about the heater being on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2020 10:59, T i m wrote:

I think it *is* a good idea if all engines are cut off if left idling
for say 5 mins or more (unless in 'engineering mode') to stop all
those who park up, leave their headlights on and sit there talking /
eating for 20 mins with the engine running. ;-(

There's a layby near my house and people often do this. They also have
sex with the engine and heater on. I wouldn't be able to concentrate;
I'd be worrying about the gear lever being knocked.

Bill

think if I had sex with an engine, I wouldnt care about the heater being
on.

not that there is much chance after prostate problems eh Bill ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2020 14:42, williamwright wrote:

Think it's a very long time since I've had a radio that would run the
battery flat while stopped for half an hour or so?

Don't they have a row a little valves nowadays then, and an inverter?

An inverter would be rather posh. More likely a vibrator power supply.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2020 16:53, Max Demian wrote:
On 20/12/2020 14:42, williamwright wrote:

Think it's a very long time since I've had a radio that would run the
battery flat while stopped for half an hour or so?

Don't they have a row a little valves nowadays then, and an inverter?

An inverter would be rather posh. More likely a vibrator power supply.

AIUI there were valves developed to run off 12v HT specifically for
use in automobiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 20/12/2020 14:42, williamwright wrote:

Think it's a very long time since I've had a radio that would run the
battery flat while stopped for half an hour or so?

Don't they have a row a little valves nowadays then, and an inverter?

An inverter would be rather posh. More likely a vibrator power supply.

Yup - and not polarity sensitive, so idea for old cars. ;-)

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?