Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External Ducting

I've got a minor domestic dispute going on with a neighbour, who recently
fitted a kitchen extractor fan that vents directly into my garden. When I
raised it with them at the time, he said there was no other way, and we agreed
that he'd let me know whenever he used it - which I figured would make it
pretty impractical for him to use, so I left it. He also added that they don't
cook fried food so saw no really use for it - it was a fixture that came with
a new kitchen.

Of course, it's been in regular use without notification, and they don't
answer the door when I go round to discuss. So I'd like to duct it on to their
garden. It'd need one of these (90 degree fan to duct piece):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-r...te-100mm/12478

and one of these (90 degree rectangular duct to duct piece):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-r...te-100mm/18905

connected with about 2m of rectangular 100mm duct. It doesn't seem to be in
black so I'd paint it, and fix with channel clips.

Would that be the way to do it? While I'd guess its intended use was interior,
I can't see any problem using it outside, unless I'm missing something.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2020 11:16, RJH wrote:
[...]

Just tape up the extractor outlet with duct tape. Sorted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RJH
writes
I've got a minor domestic dispute going on with a neighbour, who recently
fitted a kitchen extractor fan that vents directly into my garden. When I
raised it with them at the time, he said there was no other way, and we agreed
that he'd let me know whenever he used it - which I figured would make it
pretty impractical for him to use, so I left it. He also added that they don't
cook fried food so saw no really use for it - it was a fixture that came with
a new kitchen.

Of course, it's been in regular use without notification, and they don't
answer the door when I go round to discuss. So I'd like to duct it on to their
garden. It'd need one of these (90 degree fan to duct piece):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-r...-bend-applianc
e-connector-white-100mm/12478

and one of these (90 degree rectangular duct to duct piece):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-r...-bend-white-10
0mm/18905

connected with about 2m of rectangular 100mm duct. It doesn't seem to be in
black so I'd paint it, and fix with channel clips.

Would that be the way to do it? While I'd guess its intended use was interior,
I can't see any problem using it outside, unless I'm missing something.

Dose of expanding foam might get some attention:-)

Might be as well to drop a note explaining what you are doing.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I've got a minor domestic dispute going on with a neighbour, who recently
fitted a kitchen extractor fan that vents directly into my garden
So I'd like to duct it on to their
garden. It'd need one of these (90 degree fan to duct piece):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-r...te-100mm/12478

and one of these (90 degree rectangular duct to duct piece):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-r...te-100mm/18905

connected with about 2m of rectangular 100mm duct. It doesn't seem to be in
black so I'd paint it, and fix with channel clips.

Whilst much depends upon the actual fan your neighbour has used,
their ability to cope with additional ducting varies
considerably.

The end result may range from being imperceptible, to being
equivalent to the handful of used socks I guess you would like to
shove into it.

Additionally, he may well _claim_ reduced performance, simply to
be difficult.

Does the prevailing wind aid or oppose your redirection?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2020 11:16, RJH wrote:
[...]

you are allowed a certain amount of openings in a boundary fire wall

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Dec 2020 at 11:57:13 GMT, "Chris J Dixon" wrote:

RJH wrote:

[...]

Yes - but I'm not too worried about that side of things. Not yet anyway. I
can't see any duct guidance for any of the Manrose fans. I'd assume it would
put a little extra stress on the fan and reduce efficiency, but hey.

Does the prevailing wind aid or oppose your redirection?

That's part of the problem - it vents into a sheltered area, with walls on 3
sides. So unless there's a fair breeze if just sort of hangs about in a
hollow. The prevailing wind would potentially push the newly sited duct waste
over another neighbour's garden - but it'd take some untypical weather for
that to happen in a noticeable way.

I do propose to give them a note outlining the plan. All they would see is the
rectangular elbow outlet. And all they would smell is their own cooking. Can't
really see why they'd object. The eyesore is on my side.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I've got a minor domestic dispute going on with a neighbour, who
recently fitted a kitchen extractor fan that vents directly into my
garden. When I raised it with them at the time, he said there was no
other way, and we agreed that he'd let me know whenever he used it -
which I figured would make it pretty impractical for him to use, so I
left it. He also added that they don't cook fried food so saw no really
use for it - it was a fixture that came with a new kitchen.

Of course, it's been in regular use without notification, and they don't
answer the door when I go round to discuss. So I'd like to duct it on to
their garden. It'd need one of these (90 degree fan to duct piece):

This is presumably to stop smells? it would need a lot of ducting to stop
those with the wind in the wrong direction.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2020 11:16:43, RJH wrote:
[...]

Is there a visible spigot of a pipe you can hang this on?

2m sounds quite a lot of pipework.

Without seeing a photo or plan of the installation it's difficult to
comment on the practicality.

I'm sure the neighbour will consent where offering to do the work gives
the impression of how important this is for you where the alternative
can only be uglier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2020 12:02, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 12/12/2020 11:16, RJH wrote:
[...]

Even if you are trespassing on your neighbours property ?.
One for a solicitor.

No-one with a brain would do that without talking to the neighboor
first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2020 11:16, RJH wrote:
[...]

these people all did it ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How would you fix it though? You could not fix it to their wall.
The other thing is that depending on the airflow outside, you will still be
able to smell it. I'm not sure what the answer is, and obviously your
neighbours are using the ostrich head in the sand approach.

What it really needs is some kind of round table discussion between you them
and an expert or maybe the bloke who fitted it in the first place without
asking the neighbours.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"RJH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Dec 2020 at 08:14:38 GMT, ""Brian Gaff \" Sofa\)"
wrote:

How would you fix it though? You could not fix it to their wall.

Fixed using clips designed for the job - they wrap round the conduit and screw
to the wall.

The other thing is that depending on the airflow outside, you will still be
able to smell it. I'm not sure what the answer is, and obviously your
neighbours are using the ostrich head in the sand approach.

Maybe, but that's fair enough in high density urban living. What I don't like
is the exhaust directly into my garden.

What it really needs is some kind of round table discussion between you them
and an expert or maybe the bloke who fitted it in the first place without
asking the neighbours.

Yes, I've asked them to do that. But it was nonsense in the first place - they
could easily have run conduit internally, or mounted the fan on one of the
other 2 external walls (it's an offshoot kitchen).

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Dec 2020 at 13:26:44 GMT, "Fredxx" wrote:

[...]

I've fitted on of these before - it's a Manrose, and being the brown louvred
grille there's a 100mm round outlet. The 90 degree piece fits to that.

2m sounds quite a lot of pipework.

It's sold in 1m lengths. If I decided to link my cooker hood fan to the
outside it'd take 2m, so I don't think it's that unusual. Could be wrong of
course - hence asking :-)

Without seeing a photo or plan of the installation it's difficult to
comment on the practicality.

Photo he

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zJEsNWnJF08p3

It's the brown square thing, centre left.

I'm sure the neighbour will consent where offering to do the work gives
the impression of how important this is for you where the alternative
can only be uglier.

Yes, I'm sure they will. I'm just annoyed it's come to this. As for ugly, I
don't think I'll have too much of a problem persuading the jasmine to conceal
it ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How would you fix it though? You could not fix it to their wall.

Fixed using clips designed for the job - they wrap round the conduit and screw
to the wall.

The other thing is that depending on the airflow outside, you will still be
able to smell it. I'm not sure what the answer is, and obviously your
neighbours are using the ostrich head in the sand approach.

Maybe, but that's fair enough in high density urban living. What I don't like
is the exhaust directly into my garden.

Plant some creeping ivy up against their house wall.

What it really needs is some kind of round table discussion between you them
and an expert or maybe the bloke who fitted it in the first place without
asking the neighbours.

Yes, I've asked them to do that. But it was nonsense in the first place - they
could easily have run conduit internally, or mounted the fan on one of the
other 2 external walls (it's an offshoot kitchen).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2020 11:16, RJH wrote:
[...]

you are lucky they dont complain about your intrusive plants.