PoP

Default 100mm extractor hood ducting problem

What I'm after is a piece of plastic pipe which will slide within
100mm extractor hood ducting.

Reason being that I've drilled a 117mm hole in a wall to vent a tumble
dryer. And the tumble dryer has (literally) about 15mm of gap between
it and the external house wall - nowhere near enough room to mount a
flexible tumbler dryer hose outlet.

What I can do is push the 100mm pipe directly onto the tumble dryer
outlet (which is on the side of the tumble dryer) - and that works
perfectly well. Only problem is that the tumble dryer is then "fixed"
to the outside wall of the house and can't be moved without first
pulling the 100mm tube away - breaking all seals between the 100mm
duct and the cavity wall in the process.

This problem would be solved if I can get hold of a piece of (e.g.)
95mm tube which can gracefully slide within the 100mm ducting, and
thus mate up with the tumble dryer outlet. But does anyone manufacture
ducting of a suitable size?

I know this is a pain in the arse arrangement, but I'm running on
empty with regard to how this problem might be solved. I've got no
options with regard to creating a bigger gap between the tumble dryer
and the outside wall because of the furniture arrangements in the
utility room - so somehow I've got to bridge the small gap between the
tumble dryer and the wall.

PoP

Chris and Patsy

You could make yourself a length by folding say a piece of sheet aluminium
into a tube and pop riveting the seam ? Or how about taking a length of
100mm pipe cutting down its length and removing a strip then glue it back it
together or just tape it up so making a smaller diameter tube ?

Chris

"PoP" wrote in message
news
[...]

Peter Andrews

"PoP" wrote in message
news
[...]

I used a piece of a large orange squash bottle to fill the 3cm gap between
the wall mounted pipe and a new extractor fan, it slid inside the 100mm pipe
beautifully

Peter

PoP

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:40:23 -0000, "Peter Andrews"
wrote:

I used a piece of a large orange squash bottle to fill the 3cm gap between
the wall mounted pipe and a new extractor fan, it slid inside the 100mm pipe
beautifully

Now that sounds like a great idea! Only possible issue might be the
heat coming out the back of the tumble dryer.

The other idea about sawing a strip out of a 100mm pipe sounds good
too.

What a wonderful resource this forum is! Went to bed last night with a
problem and within hours have too viable solutions.

PoP

Paul Mc Cann

wrote:

I used a piece of a large orange squash bottle to fill the 3cm gap between
the wall mounted pipe and a new extractor fan, it slid inside the 100mm pipe
beautifully

Now that sounds like a great idea! Only possible issue might be the
heat coming out the back of the tumble dryer.

The other idea about sawing a strip out of a 100mm pipe sounds good
too.

What a wonderful resource this forum is! Went to bed last night with a
problem and within hours have too viable solutions.

PoP

Just one word of caution here.

This junctions are great fluff catchers so you would want to be able
to monitor them.

I once had a fire in such a situation. Luckily the fluff didn't burst
into flames but just smouldered.

Paul Mc Cann

PoP

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:26:24 +0000, Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

This junctions are great fluff catchers so you would want to be able
to monitor them.

Can do that from outside by removing the plastic vent housing - it
pops off so no big deal there.

The tenant in this case has been using the tumble dryer unvented for
quite some time (some years I think). When they pulled it out to have
new flooring installed underneath the fluff was seriously built up all
around the back of the tumble dryer! This tumble dryer was shoe-horned
into the tight gap with hardly any air to breathe around it, hence why
I was asked to knock a big hole in the wall to allow the fluff and
heat to get outside.

I once had a fire in such a situation. Luckily the fluff didn't burst
into flames but just smouldered.

Nasty. I can just imagine it though.

PoP