Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a battery adaptor for a cordless drill.

My day to day set of cordless tools are a combi drill, jigsaw and circular
saw from Lidl, all of which share the same 18v battery. I also bought a
couple of spares.

I also have an 18v Wickes cordless drill (think made by Kress) which has a
very useful right angle drive with it. Which fixes to the body (fast
release chuck which gets transferred) So more of a piece than a universal
right hand drive.

Of course the batteries on the Wickes are now knackered. Had one
re-celled, and that does still sort of work, but was never as good as the
originals power wise even when just done.

I've obtained a knackered Lidl drill for not a lot.

Idea is to cut off the battery plate and fit it to the Wickes drill so I
can use the Lidl Li-Ion batteries.

Choices are.

Cut the battery plate off the Wickes drill and replace with the Lidl one.
Sounds tricky.

Cut a Wickes battery down and fit the Lidl plate to that. So an adaptor.

Any thoughts? What sort of glue and filler would be best?

Probably a job for a decent 3D printer - but I ain't got one.

Obviously I could just by a pukka right angle drill - but they are a hell
of a price, and I've already got too many different batteries and chargers.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I thought about this when I binned my Ryobi angle drill, but put it into
the "not worth the effort" box. That said, it's partly because I don't
do much that needs an angle drill these days (and if I had a need, I
could easily afford a new one now).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 10:44:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

Probably a job for a decent 3D printer - but I ain't got one.

I have ... and am happy to print anything you want (foc) and stick it
in the post.

For starters, if you look he

https://www.thingiverse.com/

.... and see if you can see anything that might do what you are after
and if not (in a single solution), maybe two different bits could be
used (for the specific fittings etc) and joined etc?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I printed one of these the other day:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:91214

.... for a Makita impact wrench I was given but without the charger. It
is to be used as both a USB battery bank and a way of reliably
accessing the terminals for charging on my universal charger.

After printing and a tiny bit of cleanup it slides and latches onto
the battery in the same satisfying way as a clip in a Glock. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well don't mess with the battery, as unless you are careful it could explode
if you shorted something out. So only you know how easy things might be. How
about a dummy battery, empty, but with a thick cable attached connected to
the non standard new battery. That way you could just make a battery older
and it would not have to be part of the drill at all.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Well don't mess with the battery, as unless you are careful it could
explode if you shorted something out. So only you know how easy things
might be. How about a dummy battery, empty, but with a thick cable
attached connected to the non standard new battery. That way you could
just make a battery older and it would not have to be part of the drill
at all.

Very handy to use, Brian. Think I'd prefer using my mains drill. ;-)

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

How about a dummy battery, empty, but with a thick cable
attached connected to the non standard new battery.

Very handy to use, Brian. Think I'd prefer using my mains drill.

Along similar lines, DeWalt sell a 'battery eliminator' for their
contractor saws, so run it on mains when at in the shed, or on battery
when on-site

https://mytoolshed.co.uk/dewalt-dcb500-flexvolt-mitre-saw-adaptor-cable
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

How about a dummy battery, empty, but with a thick cable
attached connected to the non standard new battery.

Very handy to use, Brian. Think I'd prefer using my mains drill.

Along similar lines, DeWalt sell a 'battery eliminator' for their
contractor saws, so run it on mains when at in the shed, or on battery
when on-site

https://mytoolshed.co.uk/dewalt-dcb500-flexvolt-mitre-saw-adaptor-cable

Can see that being useful on what is basically a bench mounted tool. Which
is also taken on site.

But not really for a hand drill. Most will already have a mains one lying
around. Or even several. ;-)

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *