Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Making a battery adaptor for a cordless drill.

My day to day set of cordless tools are a combi drill, jigsaw and circular
saw from Lidl, all of which share the same 18v battery. I also bought a
couple of spares.

I also have an 18v Wickes cordless drill (think made by Kress) which has a
very useful right angle drive with it. Which fixes to the body (fast
release chuck which gets transferred) So more of a piece than a universal
right hand drive.

Of course the batteries on the Wickes are now knackered. Had one
re-celled, and that does still sort of work, but was never as good as the
originals power wise even when just done.

I've obtained a knackered Lidl drill for not a lot.

Idea is to cut off the battery plate and fit it to the Wickes drill so I
can use the Lidl Li-Ion batteries.

Choices are.

Cut the battery plate off the Wickes drill and replace with the Lidl one.
Sounds tricky.

Cut a Wickes battery down and fit the Lidl plate to that. So an adaptor.

Any thoughts? What sort of glue and filler would be best?

Probably a job for a decent 3D printer - but I ain't got one.

Obviously I could just by a pukka right angle drill - but they are a hell
of a price, and I've already got too many different batteries and chargers.

I thought about this when I binned my Ryobi angle drill, but put it into
the "not worth the effort" box. That said, it's partly because I don't
do much that needs an angle drill these days (and if I had a need, I
could easily afford a new one now).