Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hiosting stuff into loft

In a couple of months shall be downsizing from a 4-bedroom house to a
small bungalow. I shall be flooring the loft which will be esential for
storage.

The existing loft ladder is a flimsy affair. I intend to replace it with
a cascading section staircase such as a Ramsey.

At first I will need to get a substantial number of floor-boards (600 x
2400 x 18mm) up there. My original plan was to lay them one at a time on
the "staircase" and gradually push them up until they tip into the loft.

What would make it easier woud be if I could install a pair of pulleys
with ratchets, so that I could haul up each bpard without fearing to let
go.

I have seen what looks like something almost suitable on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ratchet-Con...le-Reinforced-
Internal/dp/B07F1TQLHX/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?
_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AC2H9M9TKQPTQ9V8P559

"(2) Pack 1/8 inch Rope Pulley Ratchet Hangers, Convenient Adjustable
Reinforced Metal Internal Gears, 6.5-ft Long & 105lbs Weight Grow Light
Hangers"

The problem is that at 6.5ft the cord is too short if the mounting point
is some way away.

Am I approaching the problem in too simpolistic a way?

TIA

--
Mint 20.0, kernel 5.4.0-45-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 17:22, pinnerite wrote:
[...]

Why not fix a pulley to a rafter, make a suitable sling/carrier and
attach it to a rope, temporarily install a pal/child/wife in the loft,
and just haul things up for the aforementioned pal/etcetera to unload?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite expressed precisely :
The problem is that at 6.5ft the cord is too short if the mounting point
is some way away.

Am I approaching the problem in too simpolistic a way?

I had a similar issue, a workshop in my loft, accessed via a normal
loft hatch. I fixed a simple pulley to a rafter, reinforced to the two
adjacent to it, able to take an 8mm rope. I raise and lower on it
regularly and much more weight than you are proposing. A ratchet is not
necessary, but one of those metal brackets fixed to something
substantial, where the rope can be wound in a figure of eight might be
useful if a pause might be necessary, in raising or lowering and
awkward item.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I use an electric one.....much better...go to 2.31 to see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRSCfNT9wLU&t=18s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 17:22, pinnerite wrote:
In a couple of months shall be downsizing from a 4-bedroom house to a
small bungalow. I shall be flooring the loft which will be esential for
storage.

The existing loft ladder is a flimsy affair. I intend to replace it with
a cascading section staircase such as a Ramsey.

At first I will need to get a substantial number of floor-boards (600 x
2400 x 18mm) up there. My original plan was to lay them one at a time on
the "staircase" and gradually push them up until they tip into the loft.

What would make it easier woud be if I could install a pair of pulleys
with ratchets, so that I could haul up each bpard without fearing to let
go.

When we were house hunting one we viewed had an electric hoist with
remote control mounted to the rafters above the loft hatch.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 21:34, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

not that anybody is interested ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 9:35:03 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Demonstrating the very worst type of amateur video making.
Simple rules
1/ Use a bloody tripod
2/ No zoomimg
3/ No panning
4/No hosepiping.

All these 'rules' can of course be broken if you know what you are about. An whats with all these phone clips in portrait mode?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
Why not fix a pulley to a rafter, make a suitable sling/carrier and
attach it to a rope, temporarily install a pal/child/wife in the loft,
and just haul things up for the aforementioned pal/etcetera to unload?

I find a robust 10 gallon plastic bucket (old chemical container), with
a metal handle works well.

I use large garden waste bags such as these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1577116379?iid=153941523494

That may solve part of the problem. I need to discover what weight they
can handle. Thamk you for that.

Alan

--
Mint 20.0, kernel 5.4.0-45-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
Why not fix a pulley to a rafter, make a suitable sling/carrier and
attach it to a rope, temporarily install a pal/child/wife in the loft,
and just haul things up for the aforementioned pal/etcetera to unload?

I find a robust 10 gallon plastic bucket (old chemical container), with
a metal handle works well.

I use large garden waste bags such as these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1577116379?iid=153941523494

That may solve part of the problem. I need to discover what weight they
can handle. Thamk you for that.

Alan

Pick-up a used 1m3 "builder's bag" from a building site, I think they're
rated to 1T (for things like sand, soil and ballast) but will certainly
be adequate for your needs. They have 4 handles (and a couple of
forklift loops) so would be very easy to put a rope through - and free!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

An what's with all these phone clips in portrait mode?

what?????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
Why not fix a pulley to a rafter, make a suitable sling/carrier and
attach it to a rope, temporarily install a pal/child/wife in the loft,
and just haul things up for the aforementioned pal/etcetera to unload?

I find a robust 10 gallon plastic bucket (old chemical container), with
a metal handle works well.

I use large garden waste bags such as these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1577116379?iid=153941523494

That may solve part of the problem. I need to discover what weight they
can handle. Thamk you for that.

Alan

Pick-up a used 1m3 "builder's bag" from a building site, I think they're
rated to 1T (for things like sand, soil and ballast) but will certainly
be adequate for your needs. They have 4 handles (and a couple of
forklift loops) so would be very easy to put a rope through - and free!

if you don't want a used one, Screfix sell new ones.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, It might be rather handy, instead assuming you have headroom for it, to
put in a simple ratchet winch attached above the opening to aid future
storage and retrieval?

One issue I soon found with storing heavy things in the loft was the sagging
ceiling syndrome. Books and records are extremely dense and heavy.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"pinnerite" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
Why not fix a pulley to a rafter, make a suitable sling/carrier and
attach it to a rope, temporarily install a pal/child/wife in the loft,
and just haul things up for the aforementioned pal/etcetera to unload?

I find a robust 10 gallon plastic bucket (old chemical container), with
a metal handle works well.

I use large garden waste bags such as these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1577116379?iid=153941523494

That may solve part of the problem. I need to discover what weight they
can handle. Thamk you for that.

Alan

Pick-up a used 1m3 "builder's bag" from a building site, I think they're
rated to 1T (for things like sand, soil and ballast) but will certainly
be adequate for your needs. They have 4 handles (and a couple of
forklift loops) so would be very easy to put a rope through - and free!

Surely quite impossible to get up through the loft hatch though.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

Why not fix a pulley to a rafter, make a suitable sling/carrier and attach it to a
rope, temporarily install a pal/child/wife in the loft, and just haul things up for the
aforementioned pal/etcetera to unload?

There is no need for anyone in the loft.

You lay the load underneath the hatch, attach the
hook, climb the ladder move the ladder to one side
and pull it up yourself.

Again as suggested elsewhere there's no need for
a ratchet. Just a cleat screwed to a rafter around which
secure the rope in the event of any temporary problem
in manouvering the load through the hatch etc .

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 11:45, Chris Green wrote:
wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
[...]

errr - they're bags so are flexible
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...

wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
[...]

Toolsatan do a half-tonne bag. 89263 73x73x70

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
Why not fix a pulley to a rafter, make a suitable sling/carrier and
attach it to a rope, temporarily install a pal/child/wife in the loft,
and just haul things up for the aforementioned pal/etcetera to unload?

I find a robust 10 gallon plastic bucket (old chemical container), with
a metal handle works well.

I use large garden waste bags such as these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1577116379?iid=153941523494

That may solve part of the problem. I need to discover what weight they
can handle. Thamk you for that.

Alan

Is this roof made of modern trusses or cut timber ?. You need
to consider the weight of all that chipboard. I only did the
section immediately around the loft hatch with 18mm t&g 2400
by 600 flooring.
For the section where the roof line makes standing up impossible
I used a load of ex-B&Q mdf display panels on homemade upstands
and lateral 47x47mm timber to allow 300mm of insulation.
The central section was re-insulated with extruded polystyrene.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 11:22, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
[...]

is he making a trebuchet to catapolt the flooring up from the garden ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 11:03, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Â*An what's with all these phone clips in portrait mode?

what?????

You're holding the phone the wrong way for 16:9 display
devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 07:55, Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Did you check the ceiling for signs of sagging ?.
If you need a hoist to get stuff into and out of the loft
then either, you are putting too much weight up there, or
you are too old to get it back down again safely anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 14:02, Andrew wrote:
On 11/11/2020 11:03, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Â*Â*An what's with all these phone clips in portrait mode?

what?????

You're holding the phone the wrong way for 16:9 display
devices.

wasn't a phone think it was a fuji camera....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
[...]

Yes, but if they're full of something they can't really be squeezed
through a hole.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:20, pinnerite wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 07:10:23 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:06:07 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

was thinking very hard :
[...]

I guess the task can double as an intelligence test ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Did you check the ceiling for signs of sagging ?.
If you need a hoist to get stuff into and out of the loft
then either, you are putting too much weight up there, or
you are too old to get it back down again safely anyway.

It depends a lot on the angles.

Went from somewhere with a 60 degree ladder (easy - walk up it carrying
whatever, much like stairs)

to no ladder (erect a stepladder, do roughly the same thing, making very
sure you don't knock over the ladder in the process. Loft was unboarded so
just place things from where you can reach at the top of the stepladder)

to a vertical ladder (two step process: carry thing up three steps of
ladder, push onto first board next to loft hatch. Ascend rest of ladder,
collect thing from ledge, move into loft. Descend, repeat for next item)

In the last case a pulley would have made it much more efficient as you
could do the first step entirely from the ground, and mean you avoid having
to carry something up a vertical ladder.

Theo