Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Testing alkaline batteries

My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2020 13:42, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

It's probably only calibrated for the former but by putting a resistive
load across the battery during the test will bring the voltage below
1.2V on a bad battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2020 13:42:21, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

An alkaline battery also has a nominal o/c voltage of 1.5V

Internal resistance is a good indication of battery capacity, and the
easiest way to measure this is under load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 13:42:21 +0000, Scott wrote:

My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as good
or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery has a
voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of 1.2 Volts?
How does it know the difference between a very good alkaline battery
and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

Alkaline are also 1.5v. You are thinking of rechargeables (e.h. NiMH) for
1.2v.

wish to copy them they can pay me Β£1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is clearly not so, since most of them have 1.5v, its only rechargeable
nicad or nimh that have 1.2v.

The normal way I test batteries is with a load, If you blip a reasonable
load on a good battery, no change in volts, on a partly dead one there is a
drop, as the area used is smaller, ie it cannot shove out the same current
as its electrodes get coated. Most alkaline if used a little, charged a
little etc can last a surprisingly long time before the system cannot hold
the charge. Beware though as the seals can go with the pressure inside if
you get too greedy.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

This document should only be read by those persons for whom Paranoia is
normal
and its contents are probably boring and confusing. If you receive this
e-Mail
message in error, do not notify the sender immediately, instead, print it
out and make
paper animals out of it. As the rest of this disclaimer is totally
incomprehensible, we have not bothered to attach it.
"Scott" wrote in message
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Nov 2020 14:05:40 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 13:42:21 +0000, Scott wrote:

My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as good
or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery has a
voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of 1.2 Volts?
How does it know the difference between a very good alkaline battery
and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

Alkaline are also 1.5v. You are thinking of rechargeables (e.h. NiMH) for
1.2v.

Thanks. This certainly explains it. I was indeed mistaken.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

Alkaline are also 1.5v when new.

It's rechargeable NiCd and NiMh that have a lower 'good' voltage,
around 1.2 to 1.3 volts.

--
Chris Green
Β·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:52:41 AM UTC-6, alan_m wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:42, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

It's probably only calibrated for the former but by putting a resistive
load across the battery during the test will bring the voltage below
1.2V on a bad battery.

--

interesting. I saw this a couple places earlier today too.

mk5000

Today, while the blossoms still cling to the vine
I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine
A million tomorrows shall all pass away
'Ere I forget all the joy that is mine...today

https://www.letssingit.com/the-new-c...-today-gwpvc48
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 November 2020 13:42:26 UTC, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current. Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sunday, 8 November 2020 13:42:26 UTC, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current. Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

NT

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...nal-resistance

"We can only take a snapshot of the internal resistance
with this method. The internal resistance can vary with things
like battery age and temperature. In 10 minutes, the resistance
value might be different!

A common AA alkaline battery might have anywhere between
0.1 Ξ© and 0.9 Ξ© internal resistance."

https://data.energizer.com/PDFs/BatteryIR.pdf

"The typical effective resistances of fresh
Energizer alkaline cylindrical batteries (using a 5
mA stabilization drain followed by a 505 mA 100
millisecond pulse) will be approximately 150 to
300 milliohms, depending on size."

The Energizer method uses two load resistors, first
tests with the light load, then light+heavy load.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2020 13:59, Fredxx wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:42:21, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin).Β* I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts?Β* How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

An alkaline battery also has a nominal o/c voltage of 1.5V

A good fresh alkaline can be as high as 1.6v open circuit.

Internal resistance is a good indication of battery capacity, and the
easiest way to measure this is under load.

Most battery testers are based on presenting a load to the cell and then
measuring the voltage under that stress test. Some Duracells had a self
test feature at one time - but it made them much less reliable

I no longer use Duracells I have had too many leaks. Panasonic and
Energiser are my preferred brands now for things where rechargeables
won't hack it. Usually low current draw LCD display devices.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current. Terminal
voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test is to touch
probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a second, see how
fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally can't do this. Keep
the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

You'll most likely blow the fuse in the DVM if the battery can exceed the
current range.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 November 2020 10:16:51 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:59, Fredxx wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:42:21, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin).Β* I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts?Β* How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

An alkaline battery also has a nominal o/c voltage of 1.5V

A good fresh alkaline can be as high as 1.6v open circuit.

They start off above 1.5v. 1.5v is only nominal.

A well used one can go as high as 1.8v under odd circumstances. I had a couple do that earlier this year. They were well used then recharged, and gave a strangely high output. No idea why, none of the others did.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 November 2020 11:31:11 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/11/2020 10:19, Scott wrote:
On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 15:25:37 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 8 November 2020 13:42:26 UTC, Scott wrote:

My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current. Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

Given that a humble AA can source 10A into a dead short that would quite
likely wrap the needle round the end stop on an analogue meter or blow
the internal fuse on a modern digital meter.

that's why it's only connected for a fraction of a second. What you're looking for is enough oomph to be confident the needle would fly off the end if it stayed connected. Harmless if not sustained.
You can't use the method with digitals.

Could my battery testing facility (in the multimeter) be doing this?

It probably measures the battery terminal voltage with and without a
suitable load resistor across it.

A load resistor yes, how suitable is another matter. They tend to load them very lightly.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 November 2020 13:42:26 UTC, ScottΒ* wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin).Β* I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts?Β* How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current.
Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test
is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a
second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally
can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

Given that a humble AA can source 10A into a dead short that would quite
likely wrap the needle round the end stop on an analogue meter or blow
the internal fuse on a modern digital meter.

I have a cheapo meter that can handle 20A. Combined with the resistance
of the test leads I think it would be quite safe for the meter. The
leads might get warm though!

If anything gets warm you left it connected way too long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 November 2020 13:51:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current. Terminal
voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test is to touch
probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a second, see how
fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally can't do this. Keep
the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

You'll most likely blow the fuse in the DVM if the battery can exceed the
current range.

Nah, fuses require a fair bit of i squared t. Anyway if someone does this with a digital they clearly don't know what they're doing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 November 2020 11:10:41 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/11/2020 03:04:36, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 9 November 2020 10:16:51 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:59, Fredxx wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:42:21, Scott wrote:

My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the
battery as good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc
carbon battery has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline
battery has a voltage of 1.2 Volts? How does it know the
difference between a very good alkaline battery and a very bad
zinc carbon battery?.

An alkaline battery also has a nominal o/c voltage of 1.5V

A good fresh alkaline can be as high as 1.6v open circuit.

They start off above 1.5v. 1.5v is only nominal.

A well used one can go as high as 1.8v under odd circumstances. I had
a couple do that earlier this year. They were well used then
recharged, and gave a strangely high output. No idea why, none of the
others did.

Most articles suggest a brand new alkaline battery starts at 1.65V o/c
and goes down from there.

Do you have reference you can cite for a well used one with a o/c
voltage of 1.8V?

no, haven't looked.

The only odd circumstance I can think of will be a duff meter.

I told you what the circumstances were. The meter's fine. But feel free to get stupid again.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:
There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current.
Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test
is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a
second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally
can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

You'll most likely blow the fuse in the DVM if the battery can exceed
the current range.

Nah, fuses require a fair bit of i squared t. Anyway if someone does
this with a digital they clearly don't know what they're doing.

But it's you that said it will kill the DVM...

--
*After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 03:13:29, wrote:
[...]

I have and 1.65 is the highest I saw for a new battery. An old battery
will typically be 1V.

The only odd circumstance I can think of will be a duff meter.

I told you what the circumstances were. The meter's fine. But feel free to get stupid again.

Perhaps it was user error then, or not recognising a malfunctioning meter?

If you have any non "stupid" reason for the erroneous measurement,
please do let us know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 10:54:21, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current.
Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test
is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a
second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally
can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

You'll most likely blow the fuse in the DVM if the battery can exceed
the current range.

Nah, fuses require a fair bit of i squared t. Anyway if someone does
this with a digital they clearly don't know what they're doing.

But it's you that said it will kill the DVM...

I see some consistency here, where the facts are bent to meet opinion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 11/11/2020 03:13:29, wrote:
[...]

Have we no electrochemists in the house ?

https://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/rechargeable.html

"NiZn's have the highest initial voltage of any rechargeable AA or
AAA battery. The nominal voltage is 1.65, and fresh out of the
charger the voltage is as high as 1.85V."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel...93zinc_battery

(ˆ’) electrode:€ƒ Zn + 4 OHˆ’ ‡Œ Zn(OH)42ˆ’ + 2eˆ’ (E0 = ˆ’1.2 V/SHE )

(+) electrode:€ƒ 2 NiO(OH) + 2 H2O + 2 eˆ’ ‡Œ 2 Ni(OH)2 + 2 OHˆ’ (E0 = +0.50 V/SHE)

It's a redox reaction with two half-cell potentials, that give
the overall battery cell output voltage.

Was this battery mixed in with a lot of other batteries ?

Or did some other battery type leak, electrolyte got
between the inner cell metal jacket and the outer shell
steel covering ? The multimeter would need to be touching
the outer steel covering, instead of the tab on the
end, to (somehow) tap into the phantom voltage.

It makes more sense that it was a purpose-built NiZn cell.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
wrote:
There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current. Terminal
voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test is to touch
probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a second, see how
fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally can't do this. Keep
the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

You'll most likely blow the fuse in the DVM if the battery can exceed the
current range.

And if the fuse is a 'special' (like in my Fluke) it's rather expensive.
[I think mine cost eight pounds.]
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2020 00:55, Paul wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On Monday, 9 November 2020 10:16:51 UTC, Martin BrownΒ* wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:59, Fredxx wrote:
On 08/11/2020 13:42:21, Scott wrote:

My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the
battery as good or bad (or on the margin).Β* I understand a zinc
carbon battery has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline
battery has a voltage of 1.2 Volts?Β* How does it know the
[...]

Β*Β* "NiZn's have the highest initial voltage of any rechargeable AA or
Β*Β*Β* AAA battery.Β* The nominal voltage is 1.65, and fresh out of the
Β*Β*Β* charger the voltage is as high as 1.85V."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel...93zinc_battery

Β* (ˆ’) electrode:€ƒ Zn + 4 OHˆ’ ‡Œ Zn(OH)42ˆ’ + 2eˆ’ (E0 = ˆ’1.2 V/SHE )

Β* (+) electrode:€ƒ 2 NiO(OH) + 2 H2O + 2 eˆ’ ‡Œ 2 Ni(OH)2 + 2 OHˆ’ (E0 =
+0.50 V/SHE)

It's a redox reaction with two half-cell potentials, that give
the overall battery cell output voltage.

Was this battery mixed in with a lot of other batteries ?

Well spotted!

The 1.8v muppet was talking about *rechargeable* alkaline batteries when
everyone else was discussing single use primary alkaline AA batteries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery#Voltage

You can briefly see higher terminal voltages for a rechargeable battery
still under charge or very recently taken off a fast charger.

I have never seen a battery whose voltage increased significantly with
use as its remaining capacity decreased. YMMV
(but I expect that it doesn't)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

I have never seen a battery whose voltage increased significantly with
use as its remaining capacity decreased. YMMV
(but I expect that it doesn't)

Rechargeables can increase their voltage when discharging, I have a
discharge tester that shows voltage, current and capacity as it runs
and you often see a (small) increase in voltage at the beginning of
the discharge cycle.

--
Chris Green
Β·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Martin Brown wrote:

I have never seen a battery whose voltage increased significantly with
use as its remaining capacity decreased. YMMV
(but I expect that it doesn't)

Rechargeables can increase their voltage when discharging, I have a
discharge tester that shows voltage, current and capacity as it runs
and you often see a (small) increase in voltage at the beginning of
the discharge cycle.

If this happens, why? If has cooled down after charging, possibly the
effect of warming up a little?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2020 13:57:38, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Martin Brown wrote:

I have never seen a battery whose voltage increased significantly with
use as its remaining capacity decreased. YMMV
(but I expect that it doesn't)

Rechargeables can increase their voltage when discharging, I have a
discharge tester that shows voltage, current and capacity as it runs
and you often see a (small) increase in voltage at the beginning of
the discharge cycle.

If this happens, why? If has cooled down after charging, possibly the
effect of warming up a little?

The reduced voltage is a consequence of temperature increase and the
corresponding reduction of terminal voltage. It is often used to
determine the charge end point.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

I can only assume the increase you're seeing is from the battery cooling
down in the initial discharge?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Β* wrote:
There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current. Terminal
voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test is to touch
probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a second, see how
fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally can't do this. Keep
the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

You'll most likely blow the fuse in the DVM if the battery can exceed the
current range.

And if the fuse is a 'special' (like in my Fluke) it's rather expensive.
[I think mine cost eight pounds.]

Oh dear, did you find out the hard way?

I suspect the reason is the voltage rating of the fuse and arc suppression.

This can happen if you don't:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...LeHavre_98.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Β* wrote:
There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current.
Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test
is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a
second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally
can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

You'll most likely blow the fuse in the DVM if the battery can exceed
the current range.

And if the fuse is a 'special' (like in my Fluke) it's rather
expensive.
[I think mine cost eight pounds.]

Oh dear, did you find out the hard way?

I just decided to buy a spare to fit into the little slot in the case!

About a tenner, as I recall.

wish to copy them they can pay me Β£1 a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current.
Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test
is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a
second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally
can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

You'll most likely blow the fuse in the DVM if the battery can exceed
the current range.

And if the fuse is a 'special' (like in my Fluke) it's rather expensive.
[I think mine cost eight pounds.]

Yup. Makes you take care. ;-)

--
*IF ONE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER DROWNS, DO THE REST DROWN TOO?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 11 November 2020 at 20:36:34 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/11/2020 03:13:29, tabby wrote:
[...]

these weren't new batteries

The only odd circumstance I can think of will be a duff meter.

I told you what the circumstances were. The meter's fine. But feel free to get stupid again.

Perhaps it was user error then, or not recognising a malfunctioning meter?

no

If you have any non "stupid" reason for the erroneous measurement,
please do let us know.

the measurement was not erroneous. Did I not already mention the cells had just been recharged? Short term overvoltage after charge is a routine phenomenon. Any EE knows this. 1.8v is unusually high but there ya go, consistency is not something that happens with post-charge voltage. Did we not cover this already?
Yes I did:
A well used one can go as high as 1.8v under odd circumstances. I had a couple do that earlier this year. They were well used then recharged, and gave a strangely high output. No idea why, none of the others did.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 00:55:46 UTC, Paul wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 11/11/2020 03:13:29, wrote:
[...]

(ˆ’) electrode: Zn + 4 OHˆ’ ‡Œ Zn(OH)42ˆ’ + 2eˆ’ (E0 = ˆ’1.2 V/SHE )

(+) electrode: 2 NiO(OH) + 2 H2O + 2 eˆ’ ‡Œ 2 Ni(OH)2 + 2 OHˆ’ (E0 = +0.50 V/SHE)

It's a redox reaction with two half-cell potentials, that give
the overall battery cell output voltage.

Was this battery mixed in with a lot of other batteries ?

Or did some other battery type leak, electrolyte got
between the inner cell metal jacket and the outer shell
steel covering ? The multimeter would need to be touching
the outer steel covering, instead of the tab on the
end, to (somehow) tap into the phantom voltage.

It makes more sense that it was a purpose-built NiZn cell.

Paul

it was a recharged alkaline or ZnC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2020 02:42:32, Nick Cat wrote:
[...]

No you didn't. Unless you're a sock pretending to be someone else and
think you have?

Short term overvoltage after charge is
a routine phenomenon. Any EE knows this.

Any EE would know that the alkaline batteries referred to by Scott and
myself were primary cells. Rechargeable alkaline never caught on for
being so poor in so many ways.

1.8v is unusually high but
there ya go, consistency is not something that happens with
post-charge voltage. Did we not cover this already? Yes I did:

You might well have done, which can only be explained as an entirely
different chemistry to the standard alkaline battery discussed here.

A well used one can go as high as 1.8v under odd circumstances. I
had a couple do that earlier this year. They were well used then
recharged, and gave a strangely high output. No idea why, none of
the others did.

You never did answer the question, "Was this battery mixed in with a lot
of other batteries?"

A good rule is don't let your insatiable desire to be right get in the
way of facts. The alternative is to look a plonker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 11/11/2020 03:13:29, wrote:
[...]

Please do give more details.

or ZnC.

So not a battery that any EE would refer to as alkaline.