Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Testing alkaline batteries

On 08/11/2020 23:25, wrote:
On Sunday, 8 November 2020 13:42:26 UTC, Scott wrote:
My multimeter has a battery test facility that shows the battery as
good or bad (or on the margin). I understand a zinc carbon battery
has a voltage of 1.5 Volts and an alkaline battery has a voltage of
1.2 Volts? How does it know the difference between a very good
alkaline battery and a very bad zinc carbon battery?.

There are 2 requirements for a good battery: voltage & current. Terminal voltage often tells enough, but not always. The other test is to touch probes of a 1A meter to the battery for a fraction of a second, see how fast the needle flies up. Digital meters generally can't do this. Keep the probes on & you'll kill both meter & battery.

NT

I used to love winding up car boot sellers, flogging batteries.
I would ask them for SR44 camera batteries, and they would always
try and flog me LR44's, "because they are the same".

When asked what their understanding of current delivery characteristics
is, they would get into the usual nonsense claim that they "would work",
which in many cases they wouldn't.