Default Alkaline battery testing

From time to time I would like to properly load test different types of
used alkaline batteries such a AAA AA C D and 9V. Does anyone have the
load specs on this or perhaps a chart showing what the minimum terminal
voltages would be under load for new or used batteries of the sizes
mentioned above. Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

John Robertson

On 2005-09-23 08:41:41 -0700, "
said:

From time to time I would like to properly load test different types of

used alkaline batteries such a AAA AA C D and 9V. Does anyone have the
load specs on this or perhaps a chart showing what the minimum terminal
voltages would be under load for new or used batteries of the sizes
mentioned above. Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

We have had interesting results testing the ESR of batteries using Bob
Parker's ESR meter kit. I have a chart on:

http://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html#battery

Perhaps you can make a baseline for your batteries then you have a
potentially non-destructive process to quickly evaluate batteries
without loading them down. Or not.

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call

So according to the article you can just place the esr meter directly
across the battery without damaging the meter? What effect will the two
back to back diodes which I installed for protection have on this??
Lenny Stein.

Andy Cuffe

On 3 Oct 2005 14:36:45 -0700, "
wrote:

So according to the article you can just place the esr meter directly
across the battery without damaging the meter? What effect will the two
back to back diodes which I installed for protection have on this??
Lenny Stein.

Interesting idea, but I would think you would need to use a DC
blocking cap. A large non-polar cap would work.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

John Robertson

On 2005-10-03 14:36:45 -0700, "
said:

So according to the article you can just place the esr meter directly
across the battery without damaging the meter? What effect will the two
back to back diodes which I installed for protection have on this??
Lenny Stein.

Ah, well, you will need to temporarily REMOVE the clipping
diodes...perhaps a way to switch them in and out of circuit depending
on the function you are testing (in = caps, out = batteries?).

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call
www.flippers.com "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."

John Robertson

On 2005-10-03 16:07:04 -0700, Andy Cuffe said:

On 3 Oct 2005 14:36:45 -0700, "
wrote:

So according to the article you can just place the esr meter directly
across the battery without damaging the meter? What effect will the two
back to back diodes which I installed for protection have on this??
Lenny Stein.

Interesting idea, but I would think you would need to use a DC
blocking cap. A large non-polar cap would work.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

The kit does have a blocking cap, 50VDC rated. It is when the voltage
goes much over that the the kit can be damaged. Hence the notice on the
front to discharge caps first!

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call
www.flippers.com "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."

That would seem to beg the question if one were simply to replace that
cap with say one with a 450V working voltage, would the diodes then be
unnecessary? Lenny

Bob Shuman

At minimum, you would need to compensate for the ESR of the new 450V cap you
introduced in series into the test leads in order to still get an accurate
reading. The diode clamps sounds like a more effective way to protect the
ESR meter to me since test voltage is kept below the bias voltage so they
don't affect the calculated ESR.

Bob

wrote in message
ups.com...
That would seem to beg the question if one were simply to replace that
cap with say one with a 450V working voltage, would the diodes then be
unnecessary? Lenny

John Robertson

On 2005-10-12 11:05:04 -0700, "Bob Shuman"
said:

At minimum, you would need to compensate for the ESR of the new 450V cap you
introduced in series into the test leads in order to still get an accurate
reading. The diode clamps sounds like a more effective way to protect the
ESR meter to me since test voltage is kept below the bias voltage so they
don't affect the calculated ESR.

Bob

wrote in message
ups.com...
That would seem to beg the question if one were simply to replace that
cap with say one with a 450V working voltage, would the diodes then be
unnecessary? Lenny

I suspect one could put the blocking diodes AFTER the capacitor, thus
protecting the unit from surges.
If you are going to use the meter to check batteries then leave the
protcetion back-to-back diodes off the input lugs, otherwise install
them or be very sure the cap is discharged before attemtping to read.

Bob Parker put a lot of thought into designing this kit and I hazard to
recommend any changes from that design.

Thanks Bob (as always).

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call
www.flippers.com "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."

I would hate to have a "switched" arrangement for the diodes. I'm
admittedly quite careless sometimes, and Invariably I would forget to
switch them back in after using the meter to measure a battery and wind
up blowing the micro on a charged 250V cap. Probe tips are cheap. Those
diodes have saved the micro as well as my ass on more than one
occaision. Lenny.